“stop over”

Ranked #101 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Brampton, Canada
“stop over”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

one night stay (stopover) before flying out the next morning. Arrived around 9:15 pm , no restaurant was open, asked about close by for rerstaurants and told everything closes around 8:00pm. No where near Shanghai, had to take a taxi for about 50 minutes one way. Rooms are good, Limited english, only one staff member at that time of night. Bar closed at 10:00. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Mumbai
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I stayed at Howard Johnson Hotel Chunshua, Shanghai for a day. This hotel is near Pudong Airport and just 10 mins from the Chanshua metro station. This is a great advantage for a traveler who stays near Pudong International airport and can go to down-town Shnghai using the metro.
Well the overall experience was not very good.
The check in process was quite smooth. I was promptly taken to my room. Later on when I wanted to know some details from the concierge. This team promptly told me how I could reach down-town Shanghai and even write all the details on a pice of paper just in case I faced any problem.
However, at around 5PM I went to their Chinese Restaurant called Royal Garden. On reaching this restaurant door, a lady by the name Rose asked me if I had any reservation. To which I said I dint. She reluctantly ushered me into the restuarant (I do not know why as the whole restaurant was empty). Finally I was helped by the Captain by the name Ken who took my order. He did speak in English but did not have the courtesy to helped me to select the items that I could eat – as I wanted to know more on the Chinese cuisine. Having served the dish I felt so unwanted. There was no one around and the entire process of getting the dishes were also very cold. A lady got the food and just kept them on my table. I would have expected someone to speak to me a few words or even see if I needed something.I somehow finished the food and then had to call someone to clear the table. The restaurant staff lack all the basic courtesy. Incidently this is an expensive restaurant wherein one expects great service but that did not happen. I would never visit Royal Garden restaurant gain. It has a terrible service.
At around 8:30PM I called up room service for some dessert. A lady by the name Elian picked the call. She could neither speak English nor undertand what I said. I kept on requesting her to allow me to speak to someone who knew English. This she did only after 20 minutes conversation. Then a lady by the name Lisa came on the line. She was supposedly from the front-office. But she too could not help me. Finally I requested her to get me the Duty Manager. A lady by the name Helen came on the line. She appeared to be very arrogant and in a hurry. She kept the phone and said that someone will call back. Again a lady called up from room-service. She spent 15 mins with me on the call but could not understand what dessert I wanted. Having spend around 80 mins I again called up Helen – the duty manager. As a service recovery she sent me Dark Chocolate Cakes – Little did she know that I did not eat dark-chocolates. THIS IS AWFUL.
The hotel provides hourly drops to Pudong Airport and rooms are preety good. Yes, the hotel provides non-branded shaving rajors - be careful; this can be bad for the skim

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank DebuDeb
washingtondc
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Lovely hotel, beautiful room, and a fairly reasonable at RMB 880 per night...but to my chagrin, no breakfast included. One of the few hotels in China where it's not! What a bummer. OK, add $18 and its all yours, but the irritation from discovering it at 6:30 in the morning is one of those things I as a frequent flier just find irritating. In China, the business traveller can get a decent room, in a decent Chinese brand hotel for $30 to $50 a night with breakfast and internet. Sure, cable TV has one English channel and you are lucky if the staff speaks more than hello and thank you but all other things considered, the cost of a work week there is equal to a night here. You may need guidance from your Chinese associates to select a decent Chinese brand hotel, but in the end, if you are busy and working, the Chinese hotel may be worth it...spend the savings on a nice gift for the kids or a night on the town.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business