“Interesting.....”

ShangHai South Memory (Hong Yi)
Ranked #1,956 of 17,204 Restaurants in Shanghai
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I found this restaurant by chance, I was hoping to have dinner elsewhere but they were full, so I ventured higher up the escalators and was surprised to find South Memory.

The welcome was professional and friendly, the restaurant was buzzing, great atmosphere, the service fast and efficient.

Unfortunately, I forgot my reading glasses so couldn't read the menu! I opted for a salad starter followed by a vegetable dish with smoked bacon and chilli. I stuck to what I thought were safe options judging by the pictures!

Pleasantly surprised, the salad crisp and fresh with a sweet vinegar dressing, the vegetable dish cooked al dente, not too oily, the chilli and smoked bacon adding a flavoursome element to what otherwise would have been a bland dish.

I liked the extra touches as well, the tea on the table, nibbles offered when you sit down with watermelon to finish.

I paid 57 RMB and as I couldn't read the bill I guess you pay extra for the " free " offerings plus service.

I'll go back again, next time making sure I can read the menu and the bill!

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I found typical Shanghai food quite bland and oily, so Shanghai South Memory was a great find. This restaurant is very near the Bund and People's Square. I had lunch and dinner there and thought these were the best meals I had in Shanghai: Service was great and every dish was fantastic, although people who don't like spicy food may find it challenging. Prices were very cheap compared to other restaurants in the area: We had 5 dishes and 2 fruit juices and paid less than 200 Yuen for two. Highly recommended! And nice view too.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

Great Hunan food with good service and very good price. Had 6 dishes, 5 fruit drinks and two desserts for less than 300 Yuen. If you like spicy food cannot miss it. Just order some dry or wet pan with meat or fish, or the clams dish and go hunting for food in a sea of chilis. Besides it's not only spicy, tastes good too!

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Arrived pressed for time and waitress watched over my food and me to be sure I received my dishes in a timely fashion and was satisfied. I don't know authentic Hunan cuisine but what I had was very good: cold tofu with pork flakes as starter, cumin pork and cauliflower, stuff-them-yourself dumplings. Restaurant is in upper floors of a shopping mall, not much for ambiance but it's possible to get a table with an amazing view.

Reviewed February 12, 2012

They have all the usual suspects here, spicy eggplant, spicy ribs, hot pots, whole fish, spicy shrimp on skewers, etc,. The menu with pictures is also very helpful! My pet peeves? All restaurants in Shanghai always seem to bring the rice at the very, very, end and they charge for the little towels, the tea and the peanuts.. Plus service once again is not always the best! Get's very crowded for lunch and dinner so try to come during off peak hours!

1  Thank MsTravelHag