“My favourite restaurant in Shanghai”

Kagen Teppanyaki @ Taojianglu
Ranked #18 of 17,398 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Whenever I'm in Shanghai at least one dinner at Kagen is a must! It is the best Teppanyaki restaurant I've been too and it is truly a pure pleasure every time.
If you don't know it, Teppanyaki is from Japan and you sit next to the steaktable, with the chef and the preparations infront of you.
It is a very pleasant way of having dinner and you see how the meal is cooked and the chefs are artists.
The meat and vegetables are of the best quality and a must is to get the sparagus rolls, so good they are addictive....
I strongly suggest you order the buffe menu, then you can eat & drink how much you want for 288RMB. Thats including local beer and saké (risewine).
The staff is not that good at english, so it has a tendency to become a bit confusing, but that's a part of the charm I would say.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I definitely recommend this place, the food is really nice and of quality - one of the best quality I have had in Shanghai. We ordered 3 set menus for 4 and it was plenty.
Ambiance is nice and service was not bad at all, maybe slighty overpriced.
I will definitely be back with visitors.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

A group of nine of us just had dinner there and the verdict was unanimous - we will all be back. The buffet dinner, at 288 rmb, provides good value and includes saki ( hot or cold), Asahi beer and soft drinks. It also includes unlimited portions of beef, foie gras, prawns, short ribs, cod fish, salmon and many more. We especially liked the scallops, oysters and prawns, followed by fried mushrooms and fried rice. Do also try the grilled ginkgo nuts and deep fried lotus root slices. You can end the meal with fruits and ice cream.

1  Thank Orator11
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Cooked in front of view for an overall great result ! Customers are mostly expats, place would probably not suffer from being a little bit more local, but understood is that a japanese restaurant is not necessarily the top-like of chinese people ....
U can try the all-u-can-eat formula for 290RMB, it's worth it ... Scallops, mussels, parma ham, great beef, foie gras, all kind of vegetables, great sushis ... You would be very unlucky not to find sthg for you ... Cooked on the go, once you have ordered (no need to order too much at once, the cook will even cook 5 prawns for you). Very recommendable adress !

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I don't often eat teppanyaki, but when I do, it's Kagen and nothing else. Here's how it goes. You pay 288 RMB (current price as of August 2013) and get pretty much everything you want, grilled right in front of you by one of their cooks. You can also get a la carte but if you're really hungry you're going to end up spending more. The all-you-can-eat price includes soft drinks, sake, beer and probably other stuff. They've got a pretty nice selection of dishes. Aside from the regular japanese foods (sushi, sashimi, rolls...) my favorites include: foie gras rolls, filet steak, and scallop. Ingredients feel fresh and tasty, never had a problem with that. Service is pretty good, as is the atmosphere. My wife and I have been like 5 or 6 times and we loved it every time. We usually go with friends (lots of friends) as they have private rooms for events for up to 15 people. The only gripe I have with them is that when the restaurant gets really busy and there's no more tables available, they'll pressure you to leave so that they can welcome other customers. So if you go at like 7pm on Fridays or Saturdays, incidents like this might happen.