“That's a wonderful experiences!”

Roosevelt Prime Steakhouse
Ranked #401 of 17,249 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My friends and I have been heading to Roosevelt's once a month in the last couple of months to enjoy their steaks, cocktails & wines.

They are located in a quiet and hide yard. Free parking! We tried a lots of different kinds of steak there, such as cowboy and porterhouse. Everytime we are so satisfied, even the mush potato sidedish. About the wine list, you have a lots of choice to tried the authentic, respectable California wines. BTW, cocktail is another reason I point for them.

Always, If I am going to treat a important anniversary or friend, Roosevelt is my top choice.

1  Thank tt S

Reviewed March 9, 2014

As I know the place since many years I went back after a couple of months - the food (I usually take a starter, followed by the filet mignon) was awful! The filet was simply burnt and smelled like old meat whereas the creamy spinach with bacon (I should say they serve more fat than anything else) had no taste.

The wine list (3 different white wines whereas one sparkling; 3 different red wines - I tried two and both were poor) is good and expensive however if it comes to the wine by glass it is very pathetic.

Save your money for something else and there are other steakhouses in town where the chef doesn't tell you that this is the best meat in town like in this place. In addition you would assume that in a place like that you have waiters speaking also a bit of English and just not throw the food on your table!

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

Went back last FR when I got email that all the prime bone-in steaks are back in stock. Four of us carved into a juicy Cowboy and a Porterhouse and they were as remembered. As I cannot eat that big a steak anymore...sharing it was just fine . When they have these big steaks in...it is 100% worth the price of the visit. They are the best in town. As the manager Elton was good enough to sent us dessert because we came in before a few weeks before and they were out of stock. I don't ask questions but these grey market USDA steaks are heads and shoulders better than the competition. The lobster bisque and wedge salad was satisfying as well and the gang agree this is the best steak experience in town. Service seems more polished than before as our server Linda was very attentive. We skipped dessert and had a nice stogie in the lounge. A great evening indeed. We'll be back!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Roosevelt for years used to be the best steak, let alone Prime USDA, in Shanghai and this by a very long stretch! I was an avid fan of the signature cowboy but also of the porterhouse and, in fact, almost all cuts were sensational. It was always very, very expensive all things considered but one didn't mind as the overall experience was worth it. Better yet: Some of the sides (where often quality islessened) were equally stunning (the truffle oil and hand-cut slices of truffle risotto was sensational!!!). And of course the extensive wine list, service and atmosphere all added to it. Yet somehow on my last visit, I just didn't feel the magic like before. Is it the competition? The running fatigue? Who knows. But some places are simply not allowed to be average when a certain price point is reached; they have to be fabulous every time. Service was my main disappointment with staff that actually did not look that bothered about anything. Moreover, the food itself was nowhere near what I remembered...Has Roosevelt finally been ousted as the best steak in Shanghai? I'll certainly be putting other venues to the test before I go back...(Despite all the former, Roosevelt remains an exceptional place for business diners).

1  Thank S E
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Cheapest steak is 350 RMB. Angus cut 450. Prime, bone in1000 RMB. If you are from North or South America, have you steaks at home.