“Steak this place out”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Very nice atmosphere and enjoyed the separate cigar room. Love the private location and setting next to the old hotel. Servers have been well trained as management is first class under owner George's constant eye for detail. Good quality beef nice wine list and a place to come back to often with friends. Again amazing to find 80% of the customer base is local Chinese. There are more steak houses now in SH, but give this one your first try.

2  Thank CS1Portland

Reviewed May 8, 2013

Let me start by saying this has been one of our favorite steakhouses in the world... but we were less than impressed this visit. And we like it so much and were so surpresed that it didnt meet our expectations, we went back a second time on this trip.

The first visit was on a Wednesday evening. We were less than impressed when we were told that they were out of their signature cut the Bone in "Cowboy" Ribeye prime. So instead I ordered the 28 Day Aged Porterhouse. Sadly it was one of the toughest steaks I have had. Preparation was a bit under Medium Rare, but being a beef lover, I soldier on. Other guests at the table had a similar experience with the quality of their orders. On the positive side, the Caviar presentation was exceptional, and one of the group even commented about how wonderful the Caviar was 2 weeks after at another gathering!

Not to write off this wonderful establishment with one underperforming experience, we went back with another group on Saturday. There were about 12 of us this time, and we were in the private room at the back. If you ever have been there, you certainly are aware of how special a visit to the private room can be. This was another night where the people in the room made the night enjoyable, regardless of the other factors.

This particular night, they had enough of the "Cowboy" Bone-In Ribeye prime for all attending EXCEPT for the last person to order... the Man of Honor for the evening (who was enough of a gentleman to not make a fuss about it, or any of the rest of the group would have gladly forgone the "Cowboy" on his behalf).

Apparently we were there later on a Saturday evening than the staff wanted to be there. Our food was out in record time (and the temperature of the steak kind of reflected the rush to serve quickly). Although flavorful, my Cowboy steak was not only tough but exceptionally gristly. Not what one would expect from a "prime" steak. Othere "regulars" had similar experiences this visit, too, but a couple people were very impressed (as we have been in the past) wtih their eveing at Roosevelt's Prime.

The last comment that I would add is that there was never a feeling of getting a "bums rush" to be hurried to leave... however, the food was brought to us expediently, and then the service just kind of _stopped_, and there were no more servers around, and the lights (except in our room) were turned off. In fact when we departed, we were the only people in the place with the exception of a single staff person, probably a dishwasher or busboy. It was so "relaxed" that you might have expected them to leave a key to the door wtih a note saying 'thanks for coming, please lock the door when you leave'.

As I said, we had been so impressed in the past with Roosevelt's Prime in Shanghai that we returned, and brought many old friends who are new to this establishment. With the increasing number of steak houses in Shanghai, we will give serious consideration to our future visits to Roosevelt's. And that is the most disappointing part of the matter!

3  Thank Eric G
Reviewed March 3, 2013

How did they do it?!
It was that damn good!
The restaurant and service was hot, but that steak took me over the edge!!
You gotta go there!!!
My new FAVORITE place !!!

1  Thank DawnMichele88
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Hard place to find as it is in a private compound but worth the search. Was in town for business and a local colleague took us for dinner. Nice and traditional decor with attentive service. Nice to see tableside service again with the Caesar salad. Steaks were cooked to my perfect medium order. First time trying truffle macaroni cheese but was quite impressed. Finished off with a cigar and nice whiskey in their lounge to end a good dinner. Seems to be a popular spot as was full on a Tuesday.

1  Thank HappyEater73
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family and I have lived in Singapore and Hong Kong over the last 10 years in Asia. One would think that a decent steak would not be too hard to find in these international locales, but guess again. After relocating to Shanghai this winter a work colleague took my wife and I to Roosevelt Prime Steakhouse before the Chinese New Year. Wow! It was like going home for this Chicago guy. Perfectly cooked ribeye with great marbling and sides that were top notch. Definitely a venue I will be heading to when in need of a great steak.