The Waterhouse At South Bund
  • Room Service
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgreat designjapanese armyroom descriptionroof terraceground floorloved this hotelriver viewbars and restaurantscoffee machinemodern hotelgatehousebundtaxiflooringbathtubminibar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 30, 2012

No words for the design - check the pics!
We booked a room for only about 140 euros, but it turned out to be the smallest room on the whole floor. But it was OK however, just a little noise at night from the restaurant downstairs (only separated by glass).
Room comes, among others, with complementary home made cookies and Illy coffeemachine.
A la carte breakfast is included for all guests. Don't bother to have the pastries (ugh), have the great the pancakes and salmon bagel instead!
Quiet location, very short ride to the Bund, but with adjacent Cool Docks with restaurants. Ferry and Old town within walking distance.
DJ playing on the rooftop on Saturday night, bit expensive drinks but great views.

Room Tip: We had the smallest room on the floor, 18A. It had no bathtub, and we could hear a little noise from the restaurant.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

One of the best places in Shanghai to live in a modern hotel without all these kitschy elements, but design unterstatement. The bar on the rood allows a great view on the bund skyline, but the restaurant on the ground floor, table 1, makes enjoyment even better with its Italian / mediterean food. Rooms are spacious and functional and nice litte details make your stay really enjoyable. Directly beside is the restaurant / bar area Cool docks.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I was there last month, the designers I know for long time, they bring this new surprise to SH, fantastic view with extra modern design, can't imagine the location was transform from the old sugar wear house.

The restaurant of hotel was another good raison to be there. Enjoy the food.Love the roof garden.

I stay In the suite face river, only one thing is not convenient is that the colone through our room can see downstairs, you have to close the window, or other guest may see you from outside.

Room Tip: Avoid the room on 2th floor that you can see it from lobby.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2012

When I first saw pictures of the Waterhouse I knew I had to stay there. For me, one of a kind, uniquely designed, contemporary hotels with an authentic personality are the holy grail and the Waterhouse knocks it out of the park. This is no cookie cutter boutique hotel, this is a carefully thought out high-design hotel. Absolutely a treat to take in all the little design details of the property and the room.

I stayed in the River Courtyard Suite, #19 on the first floor (not ground floor). It’s a decent sized (have no other reference in Shanghai to compare it to) open concept room featuring a glass enclosed soaker tub and rainshower on a wood plank floor in the middle of the room. The only enclosed space is the small WC closet. A bank of windows down one wall open up to the street, a glass wall looks down to the restaurant below and another window opens up to the courtyard. Minibar with free non-alcoholic beverages, Illy espresso machine, branded toiletries, travel plug adaptors! iPod dock, etc. Despite the word ‘River’ in the room description, there is no actual view of the river. This has a south street view and is at the westernmost edge of the hotel farthest from the river.

If you’re looking for full service, you won’t find it here. There is no business centre, gym, bellhops, doormen, etc. Only what you need, competent, professional front desk staff and good cleaning staff which is the way I prefer it. The restaurant downstairs is well regarded on the local foodie blogs. My rate came with free breakfast which was a nice surprise as I was expecting to pay for my average western breakfast. Sampled the restaurant again for dinner one night and it was decent but given the relative pricing I was expecting better.

Despite my love for the design, I do have a few minor complaints. Noise from the restaurant and lounges does make it into the rooms although they shut down at a reasonable hour. Anytime you use white upholstery or textiles, they require meticulous cleaning. I’m not sure the age of the hotel but some of the upholstery was showing some grime. Free wifi but in this room at the far edge of the hotel the signal reception is weak.

Room Tip: Due to low structures on the riverfront you will need to be on the second floor (third in NA terms) or higher on the east side to be able to see the water. A high northeast corner room would probably have the best view of the river and downtown Shanghai.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The Waterhouse is fantastic. After staying in so many hotels this year it truly is a unique and well located hotel. We avoided any trouble at all in finding the place and were dropped right to the door. The staff welcomed us and informed us that we had been upgraded to a view of the river which looked up towards Pudong and included a view of the World Financial Centre. The room was stunning with the raised double bed, superb bathroom, Moulton Brown products and Illy Espresso machine. After four days out in the sticks it seemed like heaven. The hotel is well worth a look around to discover the various design features that have been incorporated including the little vertical window looking out to Pudong. The hotel had also arranged our reservation at Table No.1 (See separate review).

Everything was just perfect and would have remained so with one exception. The reason this review is so hard to write is because I either have to give the hotel five stars or one. After walking along the bund and eating downstairs we headed off to bed only to find the room a bit warm. We tried the AC only to find it gently blowing warm air out. We called the desk who quickly sent someone up to the room and after a challenging conversation to explain what the problem was he recommended we turn the AC off and said it would go cooler as the night set in. Not so and by 2am we had to call again because we hadn't slept. To be fair he did the only thing he could which was to find us another room which was cooler but suffered from an almost constant banging. Not great. The next morning I politely complained at reception, expecting later to find some consideration for our inconvenience taken from the bill. Not so I'm afraid and very little in the way of an apology.

The staff were good in finding us a taxi quickly for our departure but what should have been a perfect stay in Shanghai left us tired and a little disappointed. Five stars for everything but sleep quality and I think we were just a little unlucky.

Room Tip: Just check its not too hot and that the AC is working when you arrive.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple