The Waterhouse At South Bund
Ranked #210 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 19, 2011

why not 5 green dots? My driver took ages to find..we drove round the block so many times I forgot.. put some larger signs up...I understand "rough LUX" design but this was taking it to the next level.. I have stayed at it's brother hotel in London last month and wanted to see what its owners had come up with in China.. Guys London is small, Shanghai is huge..

I was here for three days. Once past the intial "where is the hotel" I loved the industial chic and warehouse feel inside and not a health and safety sign in sight (what a joy). My room was resonable in size and the design-classic furniture was amazing.. (Where did the sofas come from? if only the staff knew).. Once settled the whole thing is surprisingly warm and comfotable.. the dance steps printed onto the floor are interesting after a few glasses of wine.

I dined in No.1 on two evenings and suggest Jason Atherton open the same concept in London, it would be packed.....I found myself talking to Shanghai fashionistas and design boffins with thick specs at the long refectory tables...

If you have a extra few pennies in your budget, spend it here, forget the big chains and just go for it, you will not be disapointed!! I will be back..

Room Tip: Make sure your driver or taxi knows where the hotel is ....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed November 29, 2011

We have been coming to eat at Table No. 1 for some time and I took my wife here for an in-town getaway. The rooms are fantastic, the roof bar is one of the best in town, and Table No. 1 only gets better every time we go. Most Western food in Shanghai is overpriced and very Mediocre. Table No. 1 is not cheap, but outstanding: try the scallops! We had a great time, the decor is super cool, the rooms are very well appointed and you will walk away happy.

Room Tip: Go for a floor on the 2nd floor or higher if you want a better view. They also have pretty good wee...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2011

This hotel is a stark difference from any other hotels I've stayed in in Shanghai. At first glance, you wouldn't even notice that it's a hotel. The exterior looks like an old warehouse with little or no touch up at all (it's intentional). Love the view and the layout of my room. Although not huge in size, with a raised platform and a double-height ceiling, floor-to-ceiling window looking out to the Huangpu River and Pudong skyline, can't ask for a better room or view. I've also tried the hotel's restaurant, Table No. 1. Love the creative use of Chinese ingredients in the dishes and probably one of the best modern European I've tasted in the city. I'll likely be back to try out other rooms at my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel staff to give you a choice or better still, show you the available rooms as I was told...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank YSH001
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I went to Shanghai last week and stay there for 1 week in 3 hotels. This hotel was the most expensive rate among 3 hotels ( all 4-5 stars ) and also I choose to stay in River suite because I think it must have the view of the river, as the name of the room. First of all, when I book the room it said on the website that river suite is around 53 square metres. But when I enter the room I feel like it doesn't reach 30 square metres. The room was so small and please don't use the word river suite cause it's not a suite. Of course the room was nicely design and clean but with the size of the room , it 's not worth for 3500 RMB. Also this room locate on 2nd floor so there is no way to see any river view.
The main improvement of the hotel is the service. With this rank of hotel, service should be outstanding. But I didn't feel that I have been treated since check in to check out. It's like you walking into you home, go to your room, sleep and then go out. No one look at the door when I carried big luggage into hotel and no one tend to help. Check in was no problem but no smile from reception.
When I stay in the room, the housekeeper knock the door and open the door by herself and say something in chinese which I cannot understand, this was really unacceptable. When I want to go somewhere and I want to ask reception to get taxi for me, I have been told to walk to the main road and call taxi by myself. I just wonder that what is the work of hotel reception.
Breakfast was not so good. Breakfast menu was so little and I can tell you that taste was not so good at all.
When I check out, I wanna leave my luggage and my notebook for couple of hours. Again, I have been told to carry notebook instead of leave it at the hotel. I was so furious about this. How can you think that I should take notebook while I go sightseeing.
I was not impress with the hotel at all. With this rate, Peninsula or Park Hyatt should be much better.

Room Tip: Nicely design and clean room. River suite on 2nd floor doesn't worth with 3500 RMB
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
6  Thank MixyMix
Reviewed December 21, 2010

I was there for 4 days for work, and loved Room 31 that I was given.
The design of not just the room, but the entire hotel is just fascinating.
Loved that the building used to be a warehouse for the Japanese in the 1930s. Its very raw but feels like its telling a story. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank walkwithwah
Reviewed October 9, 2010

There are three main draws for the Waterhouse: first, its achingly post-industrial aesthetic, rather like a miner wearing Prada, second, its ultraglam rooftap bar, and third, its restaurant. We can't report much on the restaurant other than to say that the breakfast is excellent. The L-shaped roof bar is magnificent -- a main platform for standing (a bit chilly from this time of year forward; don't know if they'll add heaters) fronts a lounge whose seating areas are partly protected by glass walls. Both levels offer panoramic views of Pudong.

It was the aesthetic that drew us. Boyfriend's an architect, so that means finding suitably architect-y lodging whenever we can. This was a delight, at least for those who like old-warehouse-meets-Todd-Oldham. The developers' adaptive reuse preserved as much roughness as possible: the soaring lobby proudly shows off scorch marks, and the twisting staircases for the upper floors feel carved out of decaying brick. But for the furnishings, the designer pretty much just marked "One of each, please" on the front of the Vitra catalog and let done with it.

Each room is unique. We were in the smallest and cheapest -- fine for us, we're New Yorker transplants in Hong Kong. Everything is highly efficient; the "closet" is just a bare pole with hangers, which worked well. One side of the room is all glass, looking into an air shaft that opens into the ground-floor restaurant. (One noisy table on Saturday night reverberated for a while, but the restaurant closed by midnight so that was fine.) Opposite the airshaft is the room's twin, with its own glass wall; that could be entertaining if both sides open the curtains. The bathroom arrangement follows the usual pattern with modernist hotels: concrete floor in the shower, separate toilet room, etc. One very bad choice the managers are going to regret: the ledge in the shower is wood, and showing its age already. ("That would should've been marine-grade," boyfriend observed.)

Nice touches: the mini-bar apparently comes included, or at least it did for the rate we paid. The pod cappuccino maker and electric kettle are also welcome.

Service was mostly excellent, although on checkout the front desk clerk needed prompting to calculate the discount rate we got through designhotels.com. That rate included a gigantic, very European breakfast (eggs, fruit, yogurt, three pastries, four generous slices of toast, cereal) that in effect took care of lunch for us as well. The restaurant staff were great, rushing us a full breakfast on a day we were running late for a train.

The main defect of the place is the location. It's next to a sort of Xintiandi wanna-be called the Cool Docks (even the name is trying too hard), but other than that the area is a bit of a wasteland. Only a very optimistic real estate agent could've come up with the name South Bund. We walked from the Bund one night, getting a decent view for most of the way. But it was a more effective postprandial than we'd bargained for, taking a good 20 minutes at a New Yorker clip. At that rate, "South Bund" might as well include Hong Kong. (Terrible exaggeration, I know. It would only go as far as Xiamen. OK, Ningbo.) It's also about 15 minutes' walk from the nearest Metro station (at the moment, though, that's a great walk through what obviously is an old and highly endangered neighborhood, which seems to be Shanghai's garment district).

One other thing to note: the hotel has no gym, although a sign on the fifth floor seems to say it does. I think the management must have decided that a small conference facility would produce more revenue than a small gym, but forgot to change the signage.

All said, we had a great time and would gladly return, but if something similarly interesting were to open in the French Concession we'd be there in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank Christian J
Reviewed September 15, 2010

+ Welcome & check in: Warm welcome, fast
+ VERY cool design, even the details (printed materials, e.g. tooth paste packaging, hotel details, hotel directory card, hotel slippers packaging, ...)
+ Added value: Welcome cookies in room, free coffee and drinks in mini bar, free wifi
+ Good a la carte breakfast in restaurant

- Room was a little bit noisy (towards the outside bar area)
- No gym as written on the fact sheet on the hotel's website

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple