This is my first time staying at a Waldorf, it would not be my last for sure,
I would start off with the good points.
1. Check in and out was a breeze. It was seamless and no messing around with their IT set up unlike some other big hotel chains. They really seem to know what they are doing. It literally takes less than 2-3 minutes as I timed them.
2, Their welcome emails before the trip and post trip was a polite gesture and a personal concierge function was helpful. Even though I did not use concierge services as I am a seasoned traveler, but I am sure they would deliver if called upon.
3. The breakfast was fantastic. This MUST BE the first hotel whose egg bar does a Egg Benedict for you. WELL DONE. This feature must continue. You can have your omelette various ways, sunny side up etc.
4. The entire place looks fairly fresh and well appointed and not tired at all. Rooms was not reeking of smoke like some other big chains. The carpets was also not stinky or musky smelling.
5. The libray on the 3rd floor must be my favorite with a Nespreso machine a full suite of choices. Complemetary and on the house together with tea, some cookies complete the experience. Wood panelling and comfortable sofas that you can sit for hours on end.
Now the bad points... I feel they can do better and should not be contented at being just being number 3 on TA. They should aim for the top and there is room for alot more improvements. It is the small things that add up.
1. I was staying on the 16th floor and for some reason they left the vacuum cleaner along the corrider just outside the service door for the entire duration of the trip. This could easily be hidden out of sight. This is unacceptable as it does spoil the ambience. I can imagine if they were cleaning the rooms, but the vacuum cleaner was left there at all times of the day while I was moving in and out of the room.
2. There was no LIFEGUARD on duty at the pool. I am not sure if there is a legal requirement but the lifeguard or I presume was a lifeguard/staff just walked in inspected a little, dried up the floors, but was otherwise PHYSICALLY ABSENT at most times. This is an accident waiting to happen and what also compounds this is that there does not seem to be any CCTV installed for security or safety reasons. Of course this is a cost issue, but if any potential fatalities happen, this is a potential multi-million law suit.
3. The doorman/lady as the first point of contact with customers/clients/guests should be trained to put on a much much brighter smile. I had no issues with the front desk/concierge/restaurant staff in general.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Combining the history and culture of the celebrated Shanghai Bund with a taste for 21st century sophistication, Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund offers a heritage ambiance, legendary service and timeless amenities to make your stay truly memorable and distinct. Housed within the two-building complex in phases are 260 well-appointed rooms and suites, stylish environments for dining and lounging, extensive banquet facilities with stunning views, luxury spa, fully-fitted gym ,free WiFi and more, all crafted onto a picture perfect setting that speaks volume of the grandeur and finesse that is uniquely ours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton EMEA, Booking.com, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Waldorf Astoria Shanghai On The Bund Hotel Shanghai