“Simply the Best Hotel”

Ranked #6 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We only had one night at the Waldorf Shanghai and so wished we had many more--this is simply a beautiful and elegant hotel from start to finish, with the old and new blending seamlessly together.
Having come from just around the corner at Les Suites Oriente we walked to the hotel and as we approached the door staff immediately took our bags and asked for our name so they could let check in know. We were then escorted through the hotel (we had entered from the Bund side and check-in is right at the other end of the hotel) and by the time we got to check-in, after being wowwed by the building, they had our paperwork to sign all ready and waiting, whilst our luggage was taken away to be delivered to us.
We were given an upgrade to a river view room and how amazing it was. We walked in and it was if luxury was being thrown at you from every corner. The rooms really are kept immaculate and every attention to detail has been thought of. The bed was huge with enveloping pillows and duvet, the desk and loungey area was so comfortable, and the bathroom--well, was oozing very high quality marble.
We could simply go on about this hotel for a long time as it really is stunning and can't recommend it highly enough. Both my partner and I discussed how it just felt like home and the panelling on the wall by the desk felt like it could have a doorway in it and just flow into the rest of a home! We have been very inspired for our interior decoration and we are only in our late 20's-early 30's. It combines traditional and contemporary in a very classic and clever way.
The location of the hotel is second to none, being right on the Bund as is hinted at on the address!
As it was our last night in Shanghai, we decided to eat in the main restaurant and had some amazing food at what we believed was a really resonable price for a 5 star hotel. We had three courses and beer and it came to the equiv of £70.
If you get the chance, please stay here, you will not regret it. This is our benchmark hotel for the world now!

1  Thank pauliepaul10
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for choosing Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. We truly appreciate your high esteem of our hotel location, internal design and room facilities. we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

There are newer reviews for Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Reviewed June 11, 2013

My hotel room had a view of the bund and the hotel was very classy. Free cookies and other delicacies in the room. And a TV in the mirror! Utterly amazing! We got a suite in a high floor. When we got lost in the street we called the concierge and they sent someone to get us. One of the best hotels I have been to!

Room Tip: The most expensive is best
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are so pleased to be ranked as one of the best hotels you have ever stayed. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My 2nd stay at this classic hotel, just because I need to attennd a Summit the other day at the ballroom. The room decoration is just not my cup of tea. I just feel that if Four Season is for those people at their 50's, then the Waldorf brand is something for your grand parents.

I got a room at the mid floor facing the back, no bund view. RMB 2070 for this typical five star room without view is just not value for money. Everything is standard, nothing surprise me.

Howeverm its lunch buffet is pretty good and the venue is well designed. The view from the 2nd floor overlook the restaurant is especially fantastic, I noticed many guests are taking photos from a specific angle.

For the hotel main entrance at SiChuan Road, the traffic flow is somehow misleading and confusing. There is a No Go sign at the cross road of SiChuan Road and Yuan An Road, which makes people think it is a one way road; however when you see the road mark on the street and the direction of those car parking aside, it seems it is a two ways road. This creates argument with taxi driver! Anyway, this unclear road sign happens everywhere in Shanghai.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HerbertLi

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the second time, and thank you for your praises on our restaurant design and culinary. We appreciate your valuable comments of signage outside our hotel main entrance. We know how important it is and we are actively seeking a solution to this issue. We hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week in Shanghai staying at The Waldorf Astoria on the Bund. We are an older couple and very seasoned travelers, having stayed at many truly beautiful hotels around the world. We were upgraded to a Riverview Suite with stunning views across the Huangpu River to Pudong; all the lights of the skyscrapers and the gorgeous Pearl Tower. We were met by a personal representative at check in, we were welcomed with fresh fruit each day. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel--its service, its staff and its location in one of Shanghai's old historical buildings. The Grand Brasserie serves a beautiful breakfast with both Western and Asian foods; and their Chinese restaurant is as lovely as anything you could imagine with dark wood paneling, soft lighting and museum quality-style carpeting. Our week here was a lovely experience, and we hated to leave. The outrageously negative review shown in this group is virtually impossible to believe.

Room Tip: If you have an option for a riverview room, that's the one to choose! Ours was on the 20th floo...
2  Thank NancyB37
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your high esteem of our hotel location, restaurants as well as service quality. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

i like to think that i'm pretty hard to please and i dont usually get jaded by much being from new york city. however i must say that by far this is the BEST hotel my family and i have EVER stayed at. the venetian in las vegas comes close but this takes it to a whole new level. my family still talks about it til this day!

we visited shanghai in february 2013 around chinese new year for a 5 night stay. upon our arrival at night we were recognized as gold members and they already had a folio of our rooms. both rooms were upgraded to the deluxe bund view which was amazing. we were greeted by a young lady who took us to each of our rooms. as hilton gold we had free buffet breakfast in the lower level every morning, and the wait staff greeted us promptly each morning, taking the initiative to remember what drinks/juices we liked and by the end of our stay already providing the drinks upon seeing us enter the lower level.

the hotel is gorgeous in every way imaginable with marble everywhere, and goes from the old building thru the new building (quite a lot of wasted lobby space if you asked me). i noticed the fresh flowers on each floor by the elevators and loved the smell of that as we took the elevators. i didnt get to use the gym/pool but my parents did and they thoroughly enjoyed it since there were no crowds at all there and literally just the 2 of them.

each night at turn down we would get snacks/condiments such as macaroons, chocolates, fruits, etc. they also do currency exchange up to 500USD per room per day i believe. their rates are much more favorable than exchanging the money back at home in the US. most people travelling here do seem to be business folk but there are on occassion small groups of families, never rowdy, nor loud. the deluxe bund view room was spectacular, the bathroom had a shower and tub along with japanese style toilet. the amentiies were by salvatore ferragamo. we didn't have a single issue while being here.

as for location, it is not close to the metro at all. if you are ok with walking approx 15-20 minutes then the closest stop i believe was at nanjing lu. this hotel worked for me and my family because we were travelling in 4 and always just found it easier to take a cab everywhere in shanghai as they were cheap anyway.

the only con: a lot of the cabs didn't know the hotels main entrance is NOT the bund facing street, rather the other side. a lot of the cabs also didnt recognize the address nor the hotel name which i found hard to believe as it is one of the top 5 star hotels around. so a tip: do carry the taxi card around and they should be able to drop you off at the right entrance.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your great review of Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. We are so pleased that you ranked us as The Best, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our hotel facilities, room amenities, as well as services. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My first trip to China was with Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund. I have never been in Shanghai and it was my very first time.

I got picked up at the airport by hotel transportation; from the first day of my arrival everything was perfect! They treated me so well I was impressed with the services and hospitalities. Prior to my arrival, a day personal assistance guide me to my room and explaining all details one by one with her genuine smile and warmth welcome to the Waldorf Astoria. Thanks to Ellie, the Director of Room managed to provide a river view and the city lights of Shanghai! It was superb.

Then come to my first experience, breakfast. They served buffet and warm food breakfast at Grand Brasserie, ground floor, the venue is spacey and food was delicious. I ordered a wonton soup from the menu, on that day it was out of stock. Somehow chef and the restaurant manager, Agnes, managed to serve my wonton and specially made for me. I'm impressed the way they have treated each of every guest at the table, very attentive.

Lunchtime I tried Grand Brasserie again. I had scallop salad and fresh watermelon juice. I could not believe how perfect the scallop cooked; it was juicy, soft, crunchy outside, and very tasty! Super delicious for light lunch. It was one of my top favorite menus of the day. Then dinnertime I went to Salon de Ville. 5 course dishes by Chef Bruno, very small for me but every dishes looks like an art creation came out from the kitchen. My wine was perfect; food was excellent, my night ended up with happy tummy. Service is totally 6 star!

The next day I went to the gym, and very impressive they have swimsuit drier. Each of every machine in the gym packed with towel and water bottle. The staff working quietly and walk like a ghost, suddenly they have replaced your empty bottle and also change to fresh clean towel. Amazing! Pool is great for lap, water temperature are warm and you can't find a single water drop on the floor because staff are very attentive in this area, make sure floor is dry and you don't need to walk slowly because it’s not slippery at all. Day bed are so comfortable, room temperature is warm and you just sit back, relax, read your magazine or even take a quick nap.

On my second day of staying at this hotel, I finally tried Wei Jing Ge restaurant on the 5th floor. This venue offers you a classy authentic Chinese fine dining restaurant. I ordered my favorite Dim sum with couple choices of wonton, fried spring roll, broccoli with garlic, a small bowl of mix fried rice, couple dishes of shrimp and pork. Accompanied with a glass of red wine, actually for a house wine, Banfi Toscana is unbelievable good wine. Thank you Owen and Belinda for your hospitalities.

Late in the afternoon, I went to Peacock Alley and had this superb high tea experience I will never forget. Thanks to Kenny for his great service, caring and they way he explain the menu and sell the wine, he is totally a keeper for this outlet. I'm truly amazed with the high tea experience at this hotel. You offer best of the best. I can’t forget how good was the sponge cake with blueberry jam and crème, delicious.

I could not find any single mistake with this place, completely a luxury style on the Bund. Room is spacious, very clean, bed are comfortable with luxury pillows and bed sheet. I will definitely come back and I will never forget the memorable experience I have ever had in Shanghai at The Waldorf Astoria. Thank you to all staff for your great hospitalities and your smiles are Devine. I believe every successful hospitality business there's a great leader behind all of these, my 4 thumbs up for this hotel. You are truly 6 star hotel not even 5 star, If I may put the star for you I could even give it 10 to everything.

Thank you for the extraordinary experience.

2  Thank BulanBoo

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your great review. We are so honored that you chose to stay at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on your first trip in China. Thank you too, for your compliments about our products and services. We will share your comments with our team which will truly motivate all of us to excel. Should your travels ever bring you back to Shanghai, we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were put up on the modern day multi storey building unit accompanying the historic centuries old smaller mansion on the front, this smaller one is elegant and is on the main road facing the Bund. The Hotel is located facing the Bund and offers easy access to the Bund Promenade, the famous Nanjing market for shopping and overlooks the Oriental Pearl TV Tower (modern day Shanghai pride, being the 3rd tallest tower in the world) and the adjacent modern tall commercial towers, all on the other side of the Bund.

Well, the most ridiculous memory which is going to last forever is the WC seat cover saluting you (by inviting you to take a seat) - the flap opens up when ever you wander around, basis a sensor technology ...the ignorant me was being exposed to this for very first time and used to think that the Siemens, Honeywells and Emersons of the world had applied such a technology only to things like room lightning. The side panel in the rest room goes further by having multi-touch buttons to ensure that bottoms are sparkling clean! Guys, who invented this and who holds the patents please?!

The service is prompt, having troubled the staff quite a few times, offers free wi-fi, the front desk staff speaks good english and can guide you around if you need directions. Our official lunch / dinners had limited veg options, but then from what you can possibly expect in Shanghai, these were decently made.

We did not get a chance to use spa or fitness facilities.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ThoughtFool

Thank you for staying at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund and for your compliment on the hotel location, our facilities as well as our service. We are glad that you had a wonderful experience and we hope to welcome you back and experience our spa treatment on your next visit to Shanghai.