“Most amazing hotel.”

Ranked #5 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This hotel is 5 star in every aspect, luxury like I've never seen before, the rooms are spectacular with gigantic bathrooms, everyone speaks English and the location is perfect, about 10 minute walk to metro.
Worth every penny and cheap compared to other Waldorfs around the world.
For Chinese standards the breakfast is very expensive, about $50 pp, you can get a great dinner for that price in town, but it's a Waldorf.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jcll93
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. We appreciate your high regard of our hotel location and room facilities and we look forward to serving you again.
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed March 25, 2013

we did not stay here as hotel guests but came for morning tea, lunch and dinner a few times during our trip. the chandelier is the size of a small city itself. harp music playing in the foyer. it was a combination of beauty that bought tears to my eyes! amazingly they served tasmanian bottled water (where i am from)....even the hot chocolate had gold leaf on it and was layered like a work of art.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bethany2012
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you very much for your great review and we are so pleased that you like the overall environment of the hotel. We hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I ended up at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai a bit by chance because it was suggested to me by the British Airways agent as part of a flight&hotel package. I say “a bit" because I knew the Waldorf in New York from living there, but hadn’t realised it had opened in Shanghai. I jumped at the opportunity,and I must say I was extremely pleased. The marble lobby and oval dining room are very grand and imposing, as you would expect, and the rooms have an East-meets- West aesthetic, in keeping with grand European hotels but with an Asian twist in terms of the fabrics and paintings. The bathroom is worthy of mention as it was quite imposing and grand—the high-tech Japanese-style electronic toilet, complete with heated seat etc, was surely above and beyond what one would expect to find at the NY mothership. Furnishings and decor were are tasteful and classic, on the safe side in keeping with the grand traditions of the hotel. If I really had to find something to nitpick about, I would suggest perhaps improving the lighting in the bathroom, which I found a bit low and impractical, I loved the tv screen hidden in the mirror, but would have preferred to see the money spent of one of those lit small round bathroom mirrors-- I suppose I have a typical ladies' point of view! Was pleased to find the universal plug adaptors built into many of the plugs, that's always a nice touch for us travel-weary business travellers, I hope all hotels adopt that practice. The selection in the minibar was limited and a bit unoriginal to my taste (mars bars, pringles,...), but the lovely young german woman at reception assured my that is was on the to-improve list already.

I only had breakfasts at the hotel, but the selection of international and Asian foods was impressive in both quantity and quality. I met Laurent Le Deu, the F&B manager, and he struck me as particularly professional and gracious-- the kind of world-class personnel you would hope to find in a top establishment, but that I hear is hard to come by in China apparently because of the rapid increase in demand for highly trained senior staff.

I am don;t know how it differentialtes itself from comparable top hotels in its category (ie the peninsula or the mandarin?) because I haven't stayed in the others, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure I had the lowest level standard room and it still was spacious and great, so I w...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank globetrotterpro
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and nice comments on our hotel accommodation, facilities and breakfast. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

By far the best in Shanghai. Each time I stay here, I am waiting to be disappointed. Not so at this beautiful property with outstanding, truly outstanding employees. The pool, restaurants and rooms are some of the best in the world. I look forward to coming back!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your great comments and for choosing to stay with us for the fourth time. We are so proud that you ranked Waldorf Astoria Shanghai as The Best in Shanghai, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our swimming pool, restaurants as well as services. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The hotel was an absolutely amazing place to celebrate our 10 year Wedding Anniversary. The hotel staff made it very special - including a beautiful love heart cake waiting in our room. The Long Bar is an atmospheric and historic place for a drink. We were blown away by our room which was a deluxe river view room on the top floor and the view across to Pudong was sensational. I could not recommend this hotel more highly. It is one of the best that we have ever stayed in.

Room Tip: The rooms looking over to Pudong have wonderful views of the Bund and skyscrapers.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for celebrating your 10th Wedding Anniversary at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai and we are so pleased to know that you had a wonderful experience. We are proud to be ranked amongst the best hotels which you have stayed and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Waldorf Astoria Shanghai is now my favorite hotel in a city with many excellent hotel choices. Combining a newly built modern tower with the restored, 1911 built, all-suite Heritage building the hotel offers outstanding modern luxury and old world elegance. Our room on the 17th floor had a spectacular panoramic view of the Bund and Pudong. The night time skyline view is stunning. The room is gorgeous, spacious, beautifully furnished, the bed super confortable and an elegant all marble bathroom. It has various high technology features such as a TV built into the bathroom mirror, a Toto electric toilet that is a little too automatic, curtains that close at the push of a button, the lights automatically turn on when you come in and High speed free WIFI. The hotel service is impeccable. Fresh fruit, a cookie jar and bottled water were replaced in the room every day. The hotel staff were very friendly and committed to customer satisfaction. The Long Bar is the Heritage building is famous. About half the guests are from overseas. It is a preferred hotel for business executives as well as affluent tourists. I also recommend the Shanghai Uncle restaurant 5 minutes walk from the hotel. The old town and Yu Yuan (Yu Garden) are a 15 minutes walk from the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your compliment on the high quality of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed one night in early December 2012 using Hilton Honors points. Was immediately impressed during a mistake (my fault) with the booking process and was connected to the hotel front desk (courtesy of Hilton connecting me) to correct the problem. Our actual stay was amazing even for just one night. Upon arriving , Joanna at the front desk greeted us and took us to the room (1310) for final checkin. We had a double queen River view. There are not a lot of rooms with two queen beds facing the river but I booked a year in advance. The room and view were great. We didn't realize how amazing the view really was until we returned to our room after dinner. We ate the hotel's Chinese restaurant which was very good. The entire hotel is stunning and I loved the decor. One of the special features was the toto toilet with all the gizmos and was motion activated. We also very much enjoyed the lavish breakfast buffet. It was beautifully presented and delicious. The hotel location is excellent and easily accessible from Longyang Road and the Maglev train. We left our bags with the concierge for an overnight stay in Hangzhou to tour the West Lake and see the Impression West Lake show. We returned to the hotel 2 days later to collect our bags. The staff were amazing! We were given a card for an upgrade if we return. Planning another stay for 2 - 3 days this fall. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steph2727

We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your nice comments of our hotel location, facilities, our service, the breakfast spread as well as Wei Jing Ge. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Shanghai.