“Excellent location and service”

Ranked #5 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We stayed for five nights at Waldorf. Everything from the time we got the reservation to the time we left for the airport were excellent (they even followed up with an email after we left). They emailed me beforehand. The room was ready and laid out with our breakfast when we walked in. Any requests we asked for were promptly taken care of. We have a room on the 20th floor facing the Bund. It was so comfortable that we spent a lot of time inside the hotel. The breakfast while not sumptuous like some other high end hotels was more than adequate. We loved the egg dishes.

Room Tip: since the hotel set back from the BUND, choose a room on the high floor in the middle like 2006.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2012

Thank you for your great review! We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel so much! Look forward to having you back again soon.
Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Write a ReviewReviews (1,501)

Reviewed December 4, 2012

The location is very romantic (The Bund). My room had a spectacular view of the waterfront (The Bund). The building is gorgeous outside and also inside.
My room was large and felt luxurious. There were a few sweets in my room (cookies) and 3 pieces of fruit left each day. Separate tub & shower, toilet had a seat cover that was on a sensor so it raised automatically when you went near it, double sink. Bose stereo, large flat screen t.v.
Room service was beautifully presented and pretty quick. Food was good, but expensive for what it was. I had a $40 hamburger that came with lots of bacon on it & it was only okay. The Chinese food I had was excellent, however as well as desert (I had room service 3 nights).

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your wonderful review and for your high esteem of our hotel location, room facilities as well as amenities. Indeed the vista from our guest rooms is truly magnificent. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

The first thing you notice when entering the hotel is how wonderful it smells. I entered on the Bund entrance and the doorman called ahead so that registration would be aware of my arrival. Everyone was very kind and friendly. I was upgraded to a river room with a stunning view of the Bund and Pudong across the river. The rooms are very comfortable, with very high end toiletries, a separate shower, deep bathtub, TV in the mirror in the bathroom and a very wonderful high end heated seat Toto toilet.

The breakfast is wonderful and the staff very good. After my first day they remembered what I liked to drink and what kind of eggs I liked. Linda, the assistant food and beverage manager was particularly kind and remembered me from my visit last year.

So why is this only a four star review? If I had done this review last year five stars would not have been enough but there were some small changes that were troublesome for me. Last year I got a handwritten welcome note in my room and this year it was typed. Small difference but it made a difference. More than that was the flowers in the room. While the flowers in the public area were still extraordinary it was not true in my room. Last year I had orchids in my bedroom, bathroom and hallway. This year the hallway had no flowers and the ones in the bathroom were not in good shape upon my arrival and were never changed. Also last year there was a small plant in the separate room containing the toilet and this year there was not one.

All that said would I stay here again. Of course I would. The staff is fabulous and the location cannot be beat but I was more impressed last year.

Room Tip: Any room facing the river is great.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review and for choosing to stay with us for the second time. We have noted your comments regarding the difference between those two stays. We appreciate that you have been so specific and please rest assured we will look into these areas. Great to know you will be back with us and we will be more conscious of this in future.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying in this Great hotel for 5 days.Since we are Diamond Members and it was our Wedding Anniversary,they upgraded us to a magnificent suite.Every worker at the hotel is trained fro make their guests feel like VIP'S.The food in the restaurant,for Breakfast was very good with a great assortment of hot and cold dishes.The location is perfect to see all the attractions in Shanghai.We used their Airport Pick up and we were very happy we did,because they really do a great job.All in all,this is a fantastic hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your recent trip review. We were absolutely delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you had enjoyed your wedding anniversary. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We recently spent 5 nights at the Waldorf Shanghai. Upon check in, we were upgraded to a deluxe room overlooking the river. The room was really nicely appointed; modern but classic, with some very nice features such as an electro chromatic window into the bathroom and a top of the line toilet with automatic seat. As others have mentioned, the nespresso machine and copious bottled water each day were also very nice touches.

The service was polite and attentive without being overbearing, which is difficult to pull off. One minor ding is the breakfast at the Grand Brasserie. While it was certainly good, it wasn't great, and after 5 days, the lack of variety in the selections each day kind of wore us down.

Long story short, if you're looking for a great room in a location that is very convenient to Pudong, the Bund and the Metro (E Nanjing Rd was a few blocks away), this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor overlooking the river. Even if you have to pay more, the view at nig...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and nice comments on our hotel location, room amenities as well as services. We also noted about your comments regarding the variety of our breakfast selection and will pass it to the Chef. We look forward to having you back again at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is a gorgeous hotel. The rooms are so beautifully appointed. We had a room facing the river - definitely pay extra for this, the views are spectacular. The room came with a cookie jar that was filled each day, a Nepresso coffee maker, bottled flat AND sparkling water, fresh fruit each day and all the extras that you get at a hotel in China. The curtains are automatic and close at the push of a button, the lights light up in the room by themselves when you come in, the toilet lifts it's lid for you and so many other fun features. I think it's also very important to mention that the beds are so comfortable with sumptuous bedding. Downstairs, the dining room is absolutely stunning and the staff is so attentive. The food was delicious, so good in fact that in 2 days, we had 4 meals there including afternoon tea that had so many goodies, I couldn't finish everything. I'm unbelievably thankful that Trip Advisor had this hotel rated at the top of their list because it wasn't listed in my two guidebooks and I would have missed the best hotel in China! Just to give you a point of reference, this is MUCH better than the Waldorf in New York, which I love. Lastly, I had read some review that said the Bund was grimy. If it is, it's not that way in front of this hotel. You can just go out and take a beautiful walk along the river.

Room Tip: Book through American Express Fine Hotels and Resorts program to get an upgraded room with breakfast...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you very much for your great review of Waldorf Astoria Shanghai. We are so pleased that you ranked Waldorf Astoria Shanghai as The Best in China, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our quality of amenities, culinary as well as services. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Last Sunday partner and I had brunch at the Waldorf Astoria on the Bund. Everything was just perfect!

We started at the Long Bar with champagne, very good oysters and a very nice and refined selection of canapes.

Around 12:30, their staff roomed us to the restaurant Grand Brasserie where we found the most amaizing buffet with everything that you can dream of... Pastries, sushi, sashimi, caviar, seafood, chinese & western appetizers, fruits, all type of amaizing desserts... Plus this time, and as a difference to highlight, three choices out of their a la carta brunch menu that were incredible, such as Duck confit omelette with truffles!! Delicious!

Apart from the food, the service was exceptional (something very difficult to find in China, even in 5* Luxury hotels...). Very helpfull and friendly! Linda, the person who was in charge of the Brunch that morning was very nice! She even explained the history of the Long Bar and their Heritage Building! An amaizing place and an incredible experience!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

It is such a joy to receive such nice compliment on our Sunday Champagne Brunch quality of cuisine and service. We do agree with your comments in every aspect. Our brunch is very popular, particularly because, in addition to the buffet spread, our guests could also select multiple choices of gourmet dishes from a special Brunch menu. The selections are then prepared a la minute and served at the table. We hope to serve you again and thank you for recommending our Brunch to others.