Tripadvisor
Post
Inbox
Search
2,891 results
All reviews grand brasserie personal concierge wei jing ge peacock alley de ville heritage building tv in the mirror river view toto toilet beautiful hotel diamond member view room walk in closet luxury hotel nespresso machine chinese restaurant breakfast buffet
Selected filters
Reviewed December 4, 2011

From the moment you walk in, you realise this is a very well run establishment. The doorman radio's ahead with my name, and then walks me through the long entry from the Bund entrance to the tower at the back, through a drawing room and long open hall looking down onto the brasserie. I am met by a personal concierge who is ready with my key and walks me directly to my room. There she checks me in, scanning my passport and efficiently disposing of the paperwork in no time. The view is spectacular - a stands room on a high floor overlooking the bund on a sunny day is quite fascinating - more so as the days turns to night and then agin in the early hours of the morning - constant activity from pedestrians in the foreground, boats on the river, and buildings on the opposite bank. Everything about the room is well thought-out - the desk and associated business accompaniments (including box of cables and panel of sockets), the comfortable furniture, the automated sheer and night curtains, the large luxurious bed, the entertain,end system, the espresso machine and refreshments / nibbles, plenty of water, the hi-tech bathroom (with shower and bath), and separate walk in robe. I thought about taking photo's, but they wouldn't do it justice - for once, those on the hotel website do. The hotel is very quiet - there is some (inevitable) noise from outside, and some may need to pull their blinds to cut out the night lights, but nothing too disrupt your sleep. The concierge suggested a nearby 'local restaurant' that was excellent, and the doorman made sure I knew the way, even offering to walk the first block with me until we were within site of the restaurant. The next morning I went to the brasserie for breakfast - excellent atmosphere, service and menu - although for some reason, the western food was not as hot as I would like it. I didn't have time to check out any of the other hotel amenities - I wish I had. When I checked out very early after the second night (awoken by the loudest phone I have ever heard), they not only had everything ready for me, but also a cup of coffee to take with me. I'e stayed at a lot of great hotels in Bangkok, Hong Kong, London, New York, Tokyo and the like, but this one wins hands down for me. Looking forward to coming back with the family - better start saving...

Room tip: Overlooking the Bund and a higher floor - the view is brilliant
Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
2  Thank 20clicks
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Location is fabulous, and not just for the view, which you may or may not have, depending on your room (facing the river or the back). It is not only next to the river, with walking access to the Bund and many great dining, shopping options, but by car/taxi, it is easy to access most of the key business and leisure areas in the city.
The rooms are fantastic, Large, well appointed, the ultimate gadgets, great bathroom, and even a walk in closet.
The quality is in every detail, from the slippers, to the pen for the notes, to the TV that turns on when you walk in, same thing with the night light, when you get out of bed. It even has an option to surf the internet on the tv with a remote key pad.
There are few rooms per floor, which also gives a nice sensation of privacy.
They even place a toy (age specific) for your kid in the room. One night they
Service is excellent, response time is within very few minutes and they get it done.
They have a great breakfast buffet, with very attentive service. The quality of the food was exceptional. Although the buffets in Shanghai in some hotels are all very high standard (Shangri La and Westin that I have tried).
The hotel has a classic building on the Bund side, which hosts one of the hot bars to go to,in town, as well as some of the top end suites.
A fantastic experience, very well appointed hotel, fantastic rooms, with top class service.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Gonzalo d
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Historical building with nice view. Service and atmosphere of real five star hotel. Liked the bed most.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Ganmuur
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We just returned from our honeymoon in China. We visited Shanghai and Beijing. We stayed at three different hotels during our trip. Even though all the hotels we visited were excellent, the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund
exceeded our expectations. It was an unforgettable experience. The service was superb. They contacted us via email several times to confirm the reservation, offer transportation and ask us if there was any special reason for our visit. The hotel arranged transportation to pickup up at the airport and since that moment they made us feel like the most important guests. They waited for us at the door of the hotel and Angela, our personal assistance, took us directly to the room where we found Champaign, flowers, chocolate, cookies strawberries, and all sort of teas waiting for us. Our room had a full view of the Bund. The weather the days of our stay was misty and foggy and that made the view even prettier. We enjoyed the Long Bar every night, had dinner at the Wei Jing Ge and had brunch at the Grand Brasserie the Saturday we checked out. We also had room service a couple of times. The concierge made all our train arrangements to travel to and from Beijing via the high speed train.
We very much enjoyed the library too. We are not big breakfast eaters and the library offers complementary croissants and tea in the morning and refreshments in the afternoon. The library is the perfect place to sit down to plan the day and to relax after a full day of touring the city.
The décor in the rooms is beautiful and elegant. Our room was very spacious and the technology of the room is impressive. The TV embedded in the mirror in the bathroom and the automatic toilet was something new for us.
The hotel is quiet and peaceful and with romantic spots everywhere.
We will definitely recommend this hotel as the perfect hotel for a honeymoon in style.

Room tip: Ask for a full river view
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
WaldorfAstoria2011, Marketing and Communication at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2011

Dear Maria,

Firstly, Congratulations on your recent marriage and thank you for choosing to stay at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund during this very special event in your life. We are extremely pleased that your stayed had exceeded your expectations.

We are pleased that you and your husband had managed to explore a substantial part of our hotel and your experience has been positive in many different ways. A wedding is certainly a very important part of one’s life and we are very pleased to have supported you in this momentous occasion.

It is our vision to have Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, being the first Waldorf Astoria hotel to open outside of the United States, to bring to life the legendary Waldorf Astoria experience for our guests and friends.

We would like to thank you for your support and endorsement of our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai again soon and would like to invite you to come and dine in our fine dining restaurant Pelham’s which we have just re-launched with a new concept and Chef.

Yours sincerely,
Dirk de Cuyper
General Manager, Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund

Reviewed November 25, 2011

gorgeous hotel entry and beautiful bar - worth a visit

Trip type: Traveled with family