“Nice for a stroll and popping into galleries”
Review of M50 Creative Park

$57.12*
Private Contemporary Art Walking Tour in Shanghai
Ranked #44 of 1,329 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed November 13, 2013

In Shanghai for work and a couple days of vacation. Decided to stop by M50 for a bit of something different. It's a short subway ride away and then about a 15-20 minute walk which isn't bad at all. We didn't know what to expect. It's basically just an area where there are a bunch of galleries and art studios. We went into a number of the galleries which had mostly contemporary work. There are a couple ceramic studios and a few little shops. It's nothing really special but it's a nice little diversion from the craziness that is Shanghai. We spent a couple hours here just looking at things. If you enjoy strolling and going in and out of art galleries then this is a nice place to go by.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was off the beaten path, but I went on a Sunday when several of the studios were closed. What I saw was enjoyable, but there was not enough open to make it worth a the trip. If you like contemporary art, a better bet is the Powerstation of Art--a very large and free museum at the site of the old World Expo.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I really enjoyed my visit to M50. I wasn't sure what to expect at first and as I went in the morning (early - 10am or so) it was very quiet. But I managed to spend almost two hours just wandering around and in and out of the various artists' exhibits, studios and cafes. Modern, contemporary and a few other bits and pieces of artwork, beading, even art deco furniture is all for sale, and a wonderful and well-presented ceramic studio called the Design Store. A couple of interesting cafes too - one with some great books. The walk along Moganshan Road from the subjway itself is interesting, being a (purposely) graffiti-lined streetscape, which is unsual to see in Shanghai. But it adds to the contemporary artsy feel of the area which is set amongst a group of repurposed 1930's industrial buildings. I am sure it has a lot of room to grow and evolve.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I do not have much understanding in Art. But I do enjoy a stroll around the area, looking at different artworks, ranging from traditional ink paintings, ceramics, photography to contemporary visual art. It's nice that there were not too many people and you can walk comfortably to look at each artwork.
The park itself is not as big as 798. We only spent around 2.5 hours (including 45mins sitting in a shop for illy coffee, which was very good) there.
Worth going if you are into Art.

Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

As a couple who isn't familiar with the art industry, this was a pleasant stroll but not much more than that. There are some really nice works and there's some artyfarty gadgets to buy but that's it. We went in september and it was awfully quiet there and everywhere we went inside we had the feeling we were being watched. I can imagine that if you study art or are into art this is a must-see in Shanghai.