“An experience to remember”

Pullman Shanghai Jing An
Ranked #60 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“An experience to remember”
Reviewed February 22, 2011

It was a month ago that I visited this hotel, and I found myself comparing the many hotels I've stayed at recently to this one, so I thought it deserved a piece of my mind.

Service was excellent in many ways, the staff was courteous, cheerful, efficient and helpful. I unfortunately lost my wallet whilst exploring the city and was advised by the reception to make a police report in case a kind soul reported it lost. I'm not confident with my proficiency in Mandarin, so I was very pleased when the PR manager accompanied me to the police station around the corner.

Room service was pretty much flawless - the rooms were made twice a day with utmost importance to presentation and cleanliness. Of course the rooms could've been bigger, but it was comfortable enough for me.

I managed to utilize the gym a couple of times during my stay, most of the basic equipments were present and very well maintained, I must say I had fruitful workouts. WiFi speed was pretty slow (or is just China I don't know), and covered only common areas in the hotel, a little troublesome to lug around a laptop but at least these places provided comfortable seats and tables. Or you could always pay for Internet access from the room?

One thing that really left me in awe was the interior of the hotel, every corner had a personal touch to it, beautifully decorated. To me the only downside of this hotel was the breakfast. I stayed there for 5 days, and found myself facing the same variety nearly every morning. Furthermore, if you head down in the last half an hour before breakfast ends, the waiters are more focused on setting up the place for lunch than serving you, so you'd have to flag them for coffee/tea and new cutleries.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Qingdao
Reviewed February 18, 2011

Actually it was my third stay in this hotel, but the experience of this time is really amazing! when I back almost every staff can greeting my name and with smiling, I entered the stylish room, Wow, they put fruit plate, drinks on the table, AND the General Manager's greeting card, OMG!

I am a frequent business traveller, the most important thing is I get luxury experience AND I can afford because this is the best hotel value for money:)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2011

stayed here with work to be close the offices in the area.

the rooms were a little damp smelling and the views were not so nice.

the breakfast selection was very limited and after 8am there wasn't anything left. The staff seemed friendly but inexperienced.

i stayed during the expo so getting anywhere in shanghai took an age, but this hotel was 40mins or so from downtown and an hour from pudong airport via taxi!..not very handy for a tourist!

• Stayed October 2010
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Mercure Zhongya from February1 to 5 during my working in Shanghai. I was very impressed with it's convenient location nearby the Shanghai Railway Station and the breathtaking views.On the other hand,check in / out is quick and hassle free. Chinese restaurants in the hotel building are good. I will choose the hotel next time.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Paris, France
Reviewed February 17, 2011

This is the first time for me to stay the Mercure. I have to say it deserves the 5 star.

Hotel is located in 5 minutes walk from metro station and everything is in quite easy reach in this city.

The room is clean, warm and comfortable. Especially for the bed. It is really the best bed for sleeping!

Anyway, a great hotel for staying.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I had a terrific stay at Grand Mercure Zhongya in early February and I must say that the level of service at the hotel certainly matches up with, if not exceeds, top-end hotels found in the city of Shanghai.

The wonderful experience started the moment I entered the hotel, with the conceirge/bell service staff greeting me with a warm smile and offering quick assistance with my luggage. He was also the same guy whom later brought up my passports when I had forgotten to take back from the front desk staff and he did it once again with all smiles and warmth.

Next, upon entering the room, I was not only impressed by the grandeur of the room but also by the GM's warm welcome specially written on a card. This is the FIRST time I've seen a GM personally writing a greeting card to his guest. His hospitality is simply top notch! The card certainly warmed my heart on a cold wintry day.

The following morning, I had my breakfast at the cafe and once again, the services provided were of high standards. Every staff member was friendly, helpful and prompt in their service. The variety of food and drinks was also acceptable although it would have been even better if there were more Asian selections.

Last but not least, the high levels of service continued through till I check-out of the hotel in the late-morning. The front desk staff, Yvonne, was so cheerful and warm. Also, the leading conceirge/bell service staff, whom I can't recall his name unfortunately, was quick to offer assistance with taxi-booking and luggage service. His friendly disposition was very impressive.

All in all, Grand Mercure Zhongya has left a deep impression in me and I will not hesitate to recommend it to friends and colleagues if they're to visit Shanghai. Of course, I do look forward to staying at the hotel again in the near future.

• Stayed February 2011
Bristol,
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Fantastic luxury hotel with a very spacious feel to it. Very nice room on the 15th floor which even with 2 generous twin beds in it still had plenty of room. Very nice room facilities with a very big walk in shower. Probably normal hotel prices at the bar (38 RMB for a Bud) although there is a 2 4 1 Happy Hour from 6-9pm. Around the hotel the Metro entrance is about 30m away (not many stops away from Peoples Square/Nanjing Rd) and any supplies for the room can be purchased cheaply at a number of convenience stores (600ml Bud - 7 RMB) whichever way you walk out of the hotel. Quite a number of fast food outlets as well as the highly reccomended Ajisen Ramen (Japanese/Chinese) are in the block around the hotel. Very efficient staff who were in the vast majority very friendly and spoke good english. Only downside (maybe because of how close it was to the Chinese NY) was the music piped into the hotel corridors and from events in the hotel kept me awake and getting the room cool enough was a challenge at times. Taxis from the hotel were about 15-20 RMB if u wanted to go out on the night and the Metro was 3 RMB for a single and even my journey from 1 side to the other (20+stops) was only 8 RMB. Overall a very nice central with a very relaxing vibe and everything you need very close by.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends