“Fantastic base in Shanghai!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pullman Shanghai Jing An

Pullman Shanghai Jing An
Ranked #57 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Brighton
“Fantastic base in Shanghai!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My Mum & I stayed here for 4 nights during March 2013. We had a fantastic time, the hotel was in a great location and an excellent standard, very modern. We had a room with 2 queen beds and free wifi. The best thing about this hotel was the concierge team, they were soooo helpful! They booked taxis for us, train to Beijing, spa treatments and helped us write down useful addresses in Chinese to show taxi drivers. They made our time in Shanghai so much easier and were fantastic!!! My biggest tip would be to do lots of planning before you go, we found taxis were the easiest way to get around the city as they were so cheap, never more than around £1.50 max! This hotel has a lovely bar as well in the reception area which we enjoyed for pre dinner drinks. If I ever visit Shanghai again I will come back here!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GrandMercureShanghai, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Globetrotter2309

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

E-commerce Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel used to be my favorite hotel in Shanghai due to their location, decoration, and service. The service in all areas used to be much better. From my last stay, I found that the staffs at the food counter did not have service mind. Food quality was worse than before (breakfast & dinner). I still love the bed which was very comfortable. I had a good night sleep after a long day. Will I stay at this hotel for my next trip? May be......

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GrandMercureShanghai, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Ampone

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

GRAND MERCURE SHANGHAI ZHONGYA was an oasis in the city of Shanghai. We stayed for 2 days then extended our stay by another 2 days because we were enjoying the city so much.
The hotel atmosphere added to the love of Shanghai we discovered.
The hotel can organise trips around Shanhai at a good price, and our guide was very knowledgable and knew her way around this crowded city. We recommend the arts and culture tour.
The hotel service was great and a small plate with macaroons and a special tea to try was left in our room after turn down in the evening.
We had access to the executive club level (unexpected), where we enjoyed unlimited food and drinks from 5 pm each afternoon until 9 or 10 at night. We could talk with other travellers and talk about our experiences of the day.
Very relaxing!
The hotel also offered free Internet, which made it easier to access our personal emails and Facebook on our iPhones, without the privacy issues from using the hotel computers.
There is a tai chi class in the lobby, and although we didn't participate it added a sense of peacefulness to the hotel.
Finally the bathroom had a rain shower nozzle and it was a joy to relax under it every day, after much walking around the city.
We would recommend this hotel as a great place to stay whilst in Shanghai, this hotel gave us great memories.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Bee26Bee

Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is my second time in Shanghai and I choose to stay this same hotel. This time I stayed one night because we were transit to Seoul. E verything is still the same as last stay in 2011 which is very comfortable. I give a 4/5 for room this time because of the shower temperature. I prefer bath in slightly hot water. The problem I encountered was that the shower was unable to maintain temperature; the water gets alternately too hot and suddenly get too cold in let's say 2-3 minutes time. It took me 1 hour plus just to bath because I cannot enjoy the constant temperature. As for the value I gave it 3/5 because it does not offer free breakfast anymore with the same price as in 2011. Otherwise other aspects of this hotel are very good. Would recommend others and I will give another chance to stay again. If the shower problem still persist in my future stay then I will not consider this hotel again. Hope the hotel take note this.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Hiappy:

Thank you for your choose the GRAND MERCURE Shanghai Zhongya hotel. During stay the inconvenience to you and we apologize. The same time, we attach great importance to your comments, and have asked the relevant departments (Engineering Department) to strengthen the management, and have the opportunity to offer a better service for you in the near future. Look forward to your stay again, I wish you all the best.
calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Things I liked about the hotel.
Close to the Shanghai railway station and the metro.
Beds were amazing, very comfortable.
Things I didn't like.
Exec. floor lounge food was terrible. No windows in the lounge, gets kind of depressing.
Exec. floor happy hour drinks were poor. Terrible wine, okay beer and nothing else short of juice and soft drinks
Sewage smell throughout hotel is pretty bad.
Shower is lousy.
Guest rooms are very small.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GrandMercureShanghai, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear yycfa

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked this Hotel online strictly from the Trip Advisor comments and I was not disappointed. We used the metro a lot in Shanghai so the location was perfect. We also took the night train from Shanghai to Xi'an so again the location was perfect. You can take the metro all the way from the airport directly to the hotel. The Hotel is directly off of line 5 - the railway exit. I beleive it was 3 exits from People's Square. When you exit the metro use Exit 5 and you will come out and see the sign pointing you to the hotel. The railway station is right accross the street. The hotel was extrememly clean, they let us check in at 9am, and the staff communicated well in English. They would mark our map with whatever place we requested or write the directions in Chinese for the taxi. When in China always take a metered taxi. Taxi's that offer a price will quote you too high. If I ever go back to Shanghai I will definetely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dina N
Dear Dina N

Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel should keep more English speaking persons as most of them do not know what a guest is trying to convey. They straightaway send the person to the room for clarifications. Even the variety of food should be made international and a few more dishes should be added and made available 24 hours of the day.

For men it is very difficult to shave as the lighting in the bathroom is inadequate. Further, the shower console needs rectification as the overhead shower stops if you lower the lever if you want to reduce the wastage of water.

At breakfast, during my three day stay I had to always borrow salt and pepper from the adjoining table.

Thus the hotel requires a lot of improvements on these matters

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GrandMercureShanghai, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Sanjay T