“Great breakfast fabulous rooms very helpful staff”

Pullman Shanghai Jing An
Ranked #63 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Really clean modern hotel, breakfast was amazing with eggs cooked to order. Rooms were a great size and reception staff were very helpful and spoke great English. Train station was 1 minute walk away. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012
Thibaud G, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear MandyEB:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (1,787)

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have been an accor member since 2007, but this is the last year I am signing up. They are really bad at keeping up with points/etc. The Accor group hotels have their gems but the hotels in China really need some training in customer service. They are generally rude, and do not give a hoot to your needs. Am very disappointed, when I stayed here three years ago, the staff was fantastic. Now, they are a bunch of grouchy people. To make matters worse, the room was not properly cleaned up when I checked in.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thibaud G, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Dear goongunner:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya by Accor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for all service shortfalls you have experienced during your stay with us.

Your comments have been discussed with all department heads that have been instructed to implement appropriate corrective measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Exceptional Hotel, but just a bit out of town, so taxis were needed each night, good thing is taxis are easy to get and are very inexpensive. Room was very large and comfortable. Bathroom had everything you could wish for and an amazing, refreshing rain shower, Brilliant! Breakfast was good with an excellent choice of hot and cold food and drinks.. Would totally recommend, but it is a bit out of town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gerryire
Thibaud G, Manager at Pullman Shanghai Jing An, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear Gerryire:

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya by Accor. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

we stayed for 4 nights ( well 3 1/2 as we left on the last morning at 5 am. )
The hotel is well situated right above the Shanghai Railway station tube which is really easy to navigate.
No problems with hotel except the three lifts run really slow and we were late one morning as it took nearly 10 mins to get from 12 floor to ground floor.
They took a credit card depsotit of 1000 y which we struggled to get back so ensure you get a receipt and keep it until you get your statement.
No bath in our room but the shower was huge as was the bed

1  Thank CSPtraveller

Dear wandawoobucks:

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Highly recommend the Club / Exec level the benefits were worth while.
The accommodation was very nice as the hotel was recently renovated ,the only issue that I think non Chinese speaking guests need to understand,is the staff speaks marginal English.
Some of the executives are relatively conversant but most of the regular staff are not.In all fairness this property is not in the major tourist area.
One needs to be accepting of failed communication and less than perfect service
It is an above average property at a reasonable rate-it is at best a4 star hotel
I would stay here again as it is a value and the Guest Service Mgr,ChristyTian is excellent

Room Tip: High floor necessary as noisy area
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dr.JAB

Dear Dr.JAB:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Grand Mercure Shanghai Zhongya by Accor. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Grand Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

flew to shanghai after yangtze cruise arrived evening just went out for a curry at night not very good. why i mentioned the loo was we have seen some horrible loos the squat ones well some were ok always tried to get a normal one. had to keep openoing the doors andd shutting fast if they were orrible. hotels all good though and most restaurants fine. this one in the lobby I walked in and heard a funny noise the lid was lifting and the seat was warm I didnt try any of the other buttons on the loo but very impressed. hotel very good again food nice but again couls have been warmer. there was a smell outside the restaurant that wasnt very nice. room and everything with it excellant comfy bed again. ate out one night Mcdonalds just as nice as the british not as fast but nice to eat british again.Our tour group took out tour manager for a meal before we all went home. Went to the holiday inn. good meal. went to qiandeng on a tour but should have gone earlier in the day not many westerners go there and it was dark and bit spooky would have enjoyed better through the day.humbe administrators garden would have enjoyed better if quieter it was the chinese holidays and it was heaving.silk workshop interesting and some lovely things to buy. pingjiang traditional quarted good, pudong district and the ride to the top of a skyscraper in 47secs bit expensive at £12. former french concession lovely but again busy.shanghai old quarter and yuyuan bazaar again very busy and would have appreciated more at a quieter time shanghai acrobatics show is brilliant

Room Tip: lovely hotel but as shanghai is so big i dont know where would be a good place to stay. this hotel i...
1  Thank TripMember03312015

Dear honky2:

Reviewed October 22, 2012

You room may look out directly over Shanghai Rail Station. The hotel is immediately above a Line 1 Metro station. Very convenient and only three stops (10 minutes) from Peoples Square.
Because of this sometimes the traffic noise can be a little disturbing.

You get great value for money if you are in a standard room, (but they are very small). I went for a suite. These are great rooms, with a wonderful large bathroom. Nice traditional Chinese furniture, but in a ultra modern setting. I had two vases with sweet smelling lilies (not sure why I deserved these, but they were a very nice and memorable touch).

Like many hotels in China, the service quality is not excellent, but staff in the Executive Lounge are really very helpful.

I found the breakfasts a little limited, with not sufficient fruit. Surely they can provide pineapple or passion fruit, as least in the executive lounge?

Often you do find the internet takes time to sort itself out, but by day three or four, all the Chinese filters will have settled down and you can surf reasonably well most of the time.

The reasons I have not rated this hotel as very good are:
1. The poor variety of food (and lack of fresh fruit), and unlike last year when I stayed here now there are no cakes or afternoon tea, or orange juice in the Executive Lounge.

2. The Business Centre simply refused to print one sheet of paper without charging. This is a disgrace when you are paying Executive Lounge prices.

So its really just poor quality in the little things that the managers should sort out that brings it down from the higher rating I gave it last year.

Room Tip: I recommend the suites on the 28th floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business