“Excellent srevice,good hotel facilities!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chateau Star River Pudong Shanghai

Chateau Star River Pudong Shanghai
Ranked #224 of 4,971 Hotels in Shanghai
Oslo, Norway
“Excellent srevice,good hotel facilities!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

I just ended my family summer holiday in Shanghai .The hotel arranged a very comfortable pick-up service free for my family,that's great!And there is a very beautiful outdoor swimming pool,my kids got very happy.My wife says that we will also spend our next summer holiday here,thanks for chateau star river hotel !

Room Tip: The room is bigger than other hotels,
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Leo M

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is billed as a 5 star hotel, and in some ways it is. It's large and imposing, and provides both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, an imposing reception area, attentive staff and very large rooms. The style is supposed to be European, but it's not. It’s Chinese, with loads of marble and gold and wood. They clearly have no idea what European is like. The surroundings are OK, but it's far from any life, so you're trapped here, unless you want to try a suicidal taxi, or take the Metro. The most obvious thing you notice, apart from the player pianos that endlessly clonk out the same tired old fashioned tunes, day and night ("How much is that doggie in the window?" repeats every 5 minutes or so, as does "Daddy wouldn't buy me a bow wow", but that's the end of the dog theme) is the lack of guests. The staff to guest ratio must be something like 200:1, and everywhere you go, there is a smiling staff member every 10 metres or so, wanting to help, or say good morning/evening. Actually, the staff are the high point: they are unwaveringly pleasant and helpful.
Putting your finger on what's wrong is harder, because it's not that obvious. Yes, eating alone in a huge restaurant, with counters full of various types of food, and dozens of staff is a bizarre experience, and going to the German (in name alone) bar, where you are completely alone in a huge, marble-floored cavern, with MTV blaring out from the gigantic screen, sipping a large glass of very stale and cloudy beer is also a little unnerving. It's the same at breakfast, but if you stick to the Chinese food, then it's excellent fare. There's no fresh fruit salad, which would be a given in most hotels, and the tinned peaches and pineapple let the side down, as does the fruit juice which is nothing like fruit juice. More like flat lemonade..
It's the 'what they get so strangely wrong that gets you in the end, and it's a culture clash thing, where they just don't 'get it'.
It reminds me of those publications you get from Chinese (and other) companies, where they try to translate into your language, but don't get someone of the mother tongue to check it out before printing, so it's clunky, and wrong. This hotel is like a bad translation of a five star hotel - a pastiche.
The layout is the first thing.
You arrive in a lobby, as you would expect, and check in.
But the elevators are in a completely different area, and it turns out that there are actually 2 lobbies, on the same floor, but not interconnected.
So, you leave lobby number one, go down to the basement, where the empty e-Cafe restaurant, "German" bar and Chinese restaurant are located, walk a tortuous path through various staff-lined corridors, past the pool and spa, and finally to the elevators that take you to your room. Bizarre.
You get the impression that they didn't think the original lobby was imposing enough, and decided to build another afterwards, but could only join them through the basement. I was here for a week, and after 2 days I worked out it was quicker to exit from Lobby 2, and walk around the outside to the main lobby to order a taxi.
Then there are the details. They claim to have banking facilities, but they can't change your Traveller's Cheques? What's that all about? I explained I needed to get a Taxi the following morning, so I needed some RMB, so they suggested I took a taxi to a Bank to change them.... Clearly missed the flaw in that logic. Eventually, I said I'd walk to the nearest bank, and they suggested Tescos, which didn't sound too promising for exchange. Then they thought Bank of China wasn't too far away, and 45 minutes later I was sweatily joining the queue, having been issued with my ticket number by helpful staff. Another 15 minutes, and I was at the counter being told they were the wrong kind of cheques (Visa is the wrong kind of cheque?).
This being China, they didn't simply send me on my way, and instead of telling me there was no hope in hell of getting them cashed in Pudong, they sent me on another wild goose chase, that took another hour and a half, and another 2 banks (Construction Bank and ICBC), neither of which was in tune with the concept that Travellers Cheques are supposed to be sacrosanct, and acceptable anywhere. It was at this point that I cursed my stupidity in not changing money at the airport, but a 20 hour trip and jetlag does that to you.
Dripping in sweat, and squelching in my soaking shoes, I finally arrived back some 3 1/2 hours later, to fall into a cold shower, and then to bed, where I was awakened by an electrical storm, and later by a small earthquake.
The room looks luxurious, with Chinese restaurant style flock wallpaper, marble and dark wood, although the carpet is stained. You also get a balcony, but although I would have liked to sit out there, it's locked, and nobody has the key. There are plenty of power sockets, and in various formats, including the squinty Chinese 3-pin, round and flat Euro/USA 2-pin, and even UK 3-pin (which used to be popular in China).. But they put them in the wrong places. Why? The desk has only a single power point, so you can have your laptop, or the desk light, but not both. In contrast, the bedside has no fewer than 4, which is great if you want to work in bed, but I don't. The bed is huge, and would sleep 6, width wise, but my feet still stuck out the bottom. Mattress is comfy, but pillows are completely unsupportive, and collapse into cases when you stick your head on them. The bedside tables are miles from the bed, so you can't reach your glass of water or the light switches. You have to get out of bed for that, which isn't an aid to restful sleep. When I arrived, my room was at 22 degrees centigrade, far too hot for a Northerner, and so I stuck the air-conditioning on, only to find it was only a fan. The room stubbornly stayed at 22 degrees throughout my entire stay.
The bathroom is swish, with a glass wall (and a blind, if you're shy and not alone), a huge rain shower and claw foot bath. Tiled floor and neat TV built into the mirror, and plenty of towels, bottles of stuff and emergency razor, sewing kit, and all the other paraphernalia. The shower works, and the sink drained, which is a bonus, as so many don't.
Wardrobes: there are 2, and they are both tiny. One is full with 2 dressing gowns, ironing board and iron, so not much space left. The other has a small chest of drawers inside, so it has no height. I was on my own, and didn't have much with me, but ended up removing the ironing board, and stacking all my shirts on that, so I could get my business suit in.
There's a huge TV, but a quick flick through the channels didn't encourage me to use it.
My specially negotiated (by our local guy) rate was about RMB1250 a night, including breakfast, and they threw in some vouchers for the stale beer too.
If I was the kind of person that goes swimming and using the gym, indoor golf and spa, maybe I would have got more from it, but I don't do that kind of stuff when I'm travelling on business.
The internet was slow, but acceptable. No Facebook or forums of course, as they're blocked.
So, there you are. A huge and sumptuous hotel, with terrible design but nice staff, infuriating clunky pianos but a nice breakfast, luxurious bed with nasty pillows, switches you can't reach and sockets in the wrong place, an unusable balcony, nice enough bathroom, and a laundry service that sends you a nice letter to tell you they just faded your shirt. Oh, and a chocolate on your pillow too, and complimentary soft drinks in the minibar, which you'll need to cool you down when the aircon doesn't work (I suspect they don't turn it on until it gets much, much hotter than this, as locals were complaining it was a bit chilly out there...).
It's not a disaster, but it's not five stars either, and unless they get some more people through those doors, it's guaranteed to be a very strange experience for you.
They are trying, and I hope they accept constructive suggestions to raise the standard to the level people should expect.

Room Tip: I hd a West view - good for sunsets, but otherwise not very picturesque.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank bancquo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2011

We arrived here as our last stop our our tour in china on the 7th Nov. We booked it through a hotel comparison sight on a deal for approx £90 per night room only and what a treat! We have stayed in lots of hotels all over the world and of different star ratings. This hotel was the best we have stayed in in terms of quality and service. The room was sumptuously decorated and very big. The shower was large and the made service was excellent. A few little extras such as a chocolate left on your bed at night, was lovely. The bed was to die for, and a real treat after the one's we had slept in during our tour! Really comfortable.
The staff were all extremely pleasant and keen to help at all times, showing us to the lifts, around the hotel and the facilities. They always greated us with a smile.
This hotel is a way out from the city centre but it was approx 300metres from the nearest metro station and after umping on line 7 and then line 2, we were in The Bund within 30mins of leaving the hotel (Cost 4RMB). This was a small price to pay for the high level of accommodation we had, compared to what we would have had, staying more a centrally located hotel. A taxi costs approx 35-40RMB.
We are really surprised to read some of the low ratings on Tripadvisor for this hotel. We had nothing but a great experience with this hotel. The ONLY thing we would say is that the breakfast was very expensive at nearly 200RMB per person. We didn't eat there for that reason, particularly as China is generally very cheap for eating, so got breakfast out. Alcoholic drinks in the bar were priced at what you would expect of a hotel of this standard and we enjoyed taking in the ambience of an evening after sightseeing all day. We also caught the metro to Pudong International Airport when we left which was very easy with one line change, saving on a taxi fair (cost 7RMB). Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

Typical hotel, build by people who sell apartments in China and made so much money and don't know what to do with it.
Rooms are very large. Bathroom has an extra shower and is spacious. Electric plugs are everywhere, even close to the bed, however if the key card is not in, everything goes dead. Even the WLAN - every room must have an own WLAN router somewhere. Internet allows for VPN, Skype, FaceTime etc. - but the speed is not exciting. Often it is very slow.
TV only has free English channels, no CNN or BBC. DW is available.
The beds are actually quite soft, meaning comfortable, compared to other Chinese hotels!

Finding the room is somewhat difficult, there are 2 lobbies and you have to go to the basement to find the elevators for the hotel tower.
Food is not bad, but also nothing exciting.
The location is good if you attend the exhibition, but you still need a taxi.
Staff is friendly.
The minibar is included, however you only get 4 drinks. They also have an Nespresso machine in the room (with 2 capsules)
I probably would not stay there again, but if I have to, I am not sad....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank yogimo
Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

I spent 4 nights here attending an exhibition. I live in China, so know what to expect in a quality hotel in Shanghai - this is not it. First, expensive; second rooms were fancy, but heat didn't work, window didn't seal so noise all night from wind blowing through the cracks. Internet did not work without calls to the staff to fix it. Food was tasteless, endless gobs of fake mayo over everything, sausage tasted like paper, ... nice bar, but no business so draft beer was old and not good. Hotel is convenient to Shanghai Exhibition Center but nowhere else. Taxis not available when you want them, and on the return journey they can not find the place. Staff was incapable of managing accounting for a large group, and was not smart enough to talk to the people organizing the event and actually paying for things, rather they chose to badger each guest.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank dwbShanghai
Nouakchott, Mauritania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2010

At first sight this plce is amazing... after we checked in the nightmare begun :
bad odor, bugs, a lot of smiling people who are of no use because they do not understand any foreign language. PLUS : the night before my departure I paid them everything because I was leaving early and didn't want to be delayed....in the morning they told me to pay AGAIN....disgusting

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Mumbai, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed at this fantastic hotel for 7 days during my visit to Shanghai for an exhibition. I have no words to describe this newly opened hotel. Everything is just perfect. Rooms are specious and extraordinarily decorated with all amenities in the room. The hotel has superb scenic surroundings and very good restaurants, health club, swimming pool. I would strongly recommend to stay at this hotel while in shanghai. Its proximity to Pudong Expo centre is a great advantage for visitors.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business