“New and contemporary hotel”

Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The check-in was prompt and fuss free and the service was good. I was very happy with my room as it has a very contemporary interior. Everything was in good condition and very new. It's like a home, I'll gladly stay there for good.

I like the loft design as the kitchen, living area and sleeping area were all separate. Having a fully furnished kitchen with all the cutlery and plates were very useful and so was having a microwave. I brought food back to heat up. They have menus of various restaurants in the room for delivery, which was very convenient.

The only drawback is the location as it is far from everything. I spent double of what I spent on cab fares here, to and from town, than when I stayed at other hotels. Having said that, i had a very enjoyable and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Carol Y, Guest Relations Manager at Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

We are so appreciative of your kind support and professional reviews. Beside our apartment, there is a metro station (Langao Road. Station of line 7) and there are only 4 stops to Jing'an Temple. We also offer the shuttle bus service between down town area and Modena during weekend. Thank you for your nice feedback again. It was such a pleasure to have you stay with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Modena Putuo Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

All has been said already about the deco, very tastefully. Pleasant place to stay, feel like having my own apartment. Location is great near subway, so it's easy to go through the different city spots. The small balcony was a nice thing to have.
Very good for business and for leisure as well. Good value for the money.
My only concern is that the hotel may quickly "fade out". My room already had some dirty marks here and there, slightly damaged furniture, seems fragile. If not properly maintained, it will lost its "shine" very quickly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Carol Y, Guest Relations Manager at Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We have checked all of the rooms and do the maintainance work as well. Hope you would come back again!

Reviewed May 3, 2012

I was travelling to Shanghai for business trip and stayed in Modena for 4 months. The location of Modena residence is great. first, it is near to the MRT station line 7 which is helpful for traveller that does not want to spend too much on transport, there is a newly opened shopping mall just outside the hotel where there is a Lotus market that you can buy all the groceries you needed, this is helpful for me as I was staying for 4 months, inside the shopping mall, there is a food court just opened too called "iFood" where variety of food is available but you need to purchase a prepaid card in order to buy the food.

Besides these, for the hotel, there are several essential facilities for instances, self laundry service at 20RMB for washing and drying respectively. There is a gym equipped with modern exercise machines. There are 2 MacBook Pro free for guests to use. More importantly, free wireless is available at lobby as well as in the room.

I was staying in Loft studio executive which is a 2 storey room with a small kitchen (equipped with all utensils you need for cooking), a living room and a bedroom. The living has a cozy sofa and a LCD TV which has about 80 TV channels to choose from. The bed is so comfortable to sleep and there are 2 air conditioners that are individually controlled.

Overall, Modena residence provided you a place that looks like home and let you feel so relaxing and rejuvenating after a busy day at work or travel.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jfm9513
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had originally only reserved for two days but ended staying here for 4 days in a apartment like 2-story suite with kitchen, 2 bathrooms, some view and lots of space (Loft Studio Premier). What got my attention at first was the very good rates (about USD 160 per day).

Kids will love that there is extra space and if needed its affordable to upgrade for an even bigger suite.

The hotel is not much more than 1 year old and everything still had an attractive freshness.

The bed is very firm but in a healthy way. There is free internet and 2 big flat screens (and DVD player). Housekeeping did a good job. AC very good and divided into 3 zones.

The location is about 30-40 minutes from downtown with a change of Metro line half way - some might find this a bit too much, but it also interesting to meet normal chinese people on their way to work.

Breakfast...well they have a strange system: even if you book and pay for two people only one gets the included breakfast. After double checking my hotels.com reservation I can see that it actually appears on the reservation. I never managed to get an explanation. In any case breakfast is about USD 11 so its not a disaster. The breakfast is ok.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Under_many_stars
Carol Y, Guest Relations Manager at Modena By Fraser Putuo Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Many thanks for your review on tripadvisor.com

We very much appreciate all your positive comments and for recommending us to any other traveller in the future. It is wonderful to hear also that you said "The front desk staff at the Modena were very helpful ".

My apologies for any displeased you experienced from having breakfast at Modena Café. Rest assured your comments have been shared with our management and we will make the necessary changes in order that our guest can receive the best service possible.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Modena Putuo Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Best regards,

Carol Yang
Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel was much nicer than we expected & plenty of room for my son & I with the loft! I thought the breakfasts were fine, however, this was my 1st experience in Shanghai, and I'm not Chinese, so wouldn't know what to expect for a typical breakfast. The staff are very friendly & helpful. The Metro was across a pretty big busy street, however there's a new Metro entrance due to open soon very close on Tongchuan Rd, so getting around will be much easier. Also there's a mall next door (with a market in the lowest level) with another Metro entrance due to open soon. If I come out again & could not stay with my son, I'd stay at this hotel! The only single thing I would change is to have a little bit more variety on the hotel's food menu (that's because I stayed for 2 weeks). The kitchen in the room was adequate for our needs however, there wasn't a market close enough for me to be able to cook my own food at the time.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was in Shanghai by myself for the weekend after a business trip to Suzhou.

When I opened the door, I was stunned by how beautiful the loft apt was... I was deciding between this one and another in East Nanjing Rd. I chose Modena 'cos it had a homely feel, though it was a little further from City Centre and a little pricer than normal hotels. However, if you ask me to choose again, it'll be Modena without any hesitation. It was absolutely worth it! V comfortable, spacious, well-equipped, elegantly-designed, sparkling clean, modern, new and a home away from home. My dream apt! The pictures shown on their website showcase the true grandeur and beauty of the place. What you see is what you get! Breakfast is reasonably good, not an extremely wide spread but good enough selection. I didn't have the chance to use the other facilities, would try them if I have to chance to go Shanghai again. 2 nights is too short!

It's just a 2-3mins walk to the nearest metro station at Langao Rd station. Afew metro stops away from East Nanjing Rd, The Bund, Xintiandi etc (need to do a couple of changes though). But this is just a very small hassle as compared to the immense comfort from the apt. Service of the staff are pretty good too.

I can't say enough good things about Modena. I am really glad to find this gem! And of 'cos, I am 100% sure I will check into this boutique apt for my next visit to this city. And I hope they open up more of such serviced apts all over the world! :)

Room Tip: I am sure all the rooms are as beautiful as the one I stayed. :D
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Booked this apartment accommodation based on positive reviews from TA. Didnt have any problems in my stay. Breakfast is not great, but service from staff at breakfast is very good, even though their English isn't fantastic.
Front desk staff English is excellent.
Concierge very efficient.
Accommodation is clean, modern, and very comfortable.
Gym is reasonable, but could do with some extra machines.
Would be helpful if management could place a wash cloth for dishes in the kitchen, and also some extra small kitchen tools such as peeler.
Laundry is well equipped. Have booked again, and just waiting for sales manager Zhang to issue me with a corporate contract for our company.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business