“Good service and location”

Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai
Ranked #133 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
“Good service and location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

Indeed the price is a bit higher but is worth it. Service is good as whatever we call for room services, we get it within 10 mins. Room are spacious as well. The indoor pool is small but nor crowded so no issue. And at least you have a place to swim at winter.

Location is also near to place like xin tian di which you can just walk back.

Taxi dont seems to know this hotel so need to get the exact address

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
It was a pleasure to have you stay at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai. I am glad you enjoyed our location and services! Thank you so much for having taken the time to share your experience with fellow travelers! Welcome back soon!
Inka Uusitalo - Residence Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

These small but comfy apartments are a little larger than a bed sit but very comfy for a week.
i am still trying to master the washer dryer combo, if only I could access youtube all would be well, but no You tube or Facebook in China.

The bed is good with lots of pillows. Aircon is warm, large windows for a view of what looks in the rain to be Gotham City.

Breakfast is simple but satisfying. Some expresso coffee would be welcome. The location is close to lots of shops and cafes.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you for sharing your impression! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at Ascott Huai Hai Road. And what a poetic title you selected!
Regarding expresso, seems that we didn't inform you well enough upon check-in, please accept my apologies for it. There is a Residents Loung on the 7th floor, which serves complimentary expresso and tea 24h. You can find international newspapers and magazines there, aswell as a big screen for DVD-viewing, and a Wii-game.
Shanghai on a rainy foggy day may indeed resemble to Gotham City...! Luckily we get plenty of sunny days too to balance it! Also the night views are quite breath-taking, and can be enjoyed from both the apartments and the 6th floor bar terrace.
Welcome back! We will make sure to provide better instructions for the washer-dyer combo by then!
Inka Uusitalo-Raoult, Residence Manager
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

We very much enjoyed our two weeks stay at the Ascott Huai Hai Lu. The apartment was nice and cosy, everything worked well, the view was breathtaking and the residence staff friendly and helpful. The only small minus was the noisy aircon.

Stayed February 2014
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for having chosen Ascott Huai Hai Road for your 2-week stay in Shanghai! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will come again! (You might want to consider spring or autumn, which are beautiful seasons here with green leaves in the platane-trees and terraces open with the warm weather....)
Regarding aircon, please accept my apologies for the nuisance. Our engineers are going through each apartment as part of our preventive maintenance plan to check all the aircons. I am sorry the timing with your apartment was not right.
Hoping to welcome you soon again,
Inka Uusitalo-Raoult, Residence Manager
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

I travel a lot throughout Asia, and when it comes to long stays I always choose Ascott as my first choice. However, Ascott Huai Hai Lu Shanghai is definitely not what I expected from a worldwide luxury brand.

Arrival:

It was poured with rain the day we arrived. The doorman was pretty lazy to offer us any help with the luggage nor he did not offer to carry it to our room after we checked in. (Did I mentioned the rooms are priced for rmb1000+ a night ?). Anyway, the check in went pretty easy although the specific receptionist that was there is not an English speaker so she shouldn't work there. Other then that, all the other receptionists speaks fluent English and were very helpful and nice.

Rooms:

The rooms looks pretty cheap, not the Ascott standard that I used for in other places. The furniture looks like they were bought in a cheap marketplace, no luxury at all. Not something you'll take pride as a luxury brand.
Same goes for the dining room, looks very sleazy.

Location:

The location is perfect as it is located in the middle of the hustle bustle Huai Hai Lu, which is basically few min' from anywhere.

Service:

Service was great, trained staff and very accommodate. Although, the doorman, you should send him back to the village he came from.

Overall:

It was ok, but not more than. Expected for more due to my experience with other Ascott hotels, but it is not in the same standard. Would stay in another place next time.

Room Tip: 1 Bad room Apartment has a nice city and park view, but not worth the price.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your candid and detailed feedback.
It is a pleasuer to know that you are a loyal customer of Ascott for your stays within Asia! And I am very much saddened that Ascott Huai Hai Road was not up to your brand expectation. That should definitely not be the case, and I sincerely hope we will get a chance to prove it to you at another occasion. You may contact me directly for your next stay if you wish, so that I can personally follow-up on each of your concerns.
Some matters you raised may be of subjective nature. However, our furnishings are definitely not from any cheap marketplace... So I am very concerned about your feedback and have shared it with my engineering and housekeeping managers to re-inforce that any defects on our equipment must be immediately reported and changed in order to avoid any such type of impressions from our customers.
You mentioned the good service (apart from that doorman, which I have immediately acted on), great location, convenience, etc - that's great. People and location are indeed our strength and I have much pride and pleasure for having such a team here. I am glad you noticed it.
Please accept my sincere apologies for failing to deliver an experience up to your expectations. I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again and serving you better. Thank you for your detailed feedback.
Inka Uusitalo-Raoult
Residence Manager
Espoo, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed in Ascott Huai Hai Lu Shanghai almost 6 months and it was very easy living, as I was able to focus fully on work and not have to worry about practicalities too much. Location is great and all basic services are well covered plus personnel very kind. The small things keeping my score in very good instead of excellent, are more due to overall issues related to after all being in China than that they would not try their best (internet speed could be faster, even if I had the faster line with extra fee; you can hear the traffic to at least 15th floor, housekeeping mainly only spoke Chinese etc). Breakfast was good, also included some western dishes, but most likely saving in ingredients a bit (cannot compare eg the omelets with the ones you usually get outside of China with more tasty cheese etc). I appreciated a good work desk and lamp in the bedroom, something that not all business hotels automatically offer. Also good quality fridge, freezer, washing machine etc equipment made the "second home" very nice and practical. My living room in 1 bed apartment was a bit too narrow and dark, but did not after all bother me as I did not use it that much.

Room Tip: Take the upper floors (ideally 20+) to minimize the traffic noice. In the (smaller) 1-bedroom apartm...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at Ascott Huai Hai Road with so much detail. I am sure it is useful for fellow travellers - and it certainly is most interesting for us at the property, as your feedback helps us to develop our services and fix priorities.
Long-term residents typically work long hours and have no time for daily chores, so our objective is to support their lifestyle and make their stay in Shanghai easy and convenient! We also strive to create a social community within the property, bringing some fun and networking opportunities for our residents!
Thank you for having made Ascott your home in Shanghai! On behalf of the whole team, I wish you a wonderful year of the horse.
Inka Uusitalo-Raoult
new york city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Everything seems to be done to the hotel's best, from the furnishings to breakfast. But everything just seems to be slightly missing the target. The check-in was fine, but could have been a tick better. The breakfast was good, but could have been slightly improved. Don't get me wrong, nothing is horrific or bad, but every experience there seems to be slightly off. The service, the bathroom fixtures, towels, beddings, all good, but nothing fantastic. That;s it. nothing that screams this is fantastic. They did mess up my check out billing, but they soon followed up and rectified the matter.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Thank you for staying at Ascott Huai Hai Road. Everything at Ascott is indeed done to the property's best - I am glad you had felt that during your stay! We will continue to strive for WoW-moments in order to provide a fantastic expericence to our guests, in a consistant way. Thank you for your motivating feedback and welcome back at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai!
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

Fully equipped Apartment with good breakfast. When reading the reviews about breakfast It is obvious that it has dramatically improved. Every day different dishes catering chinese and western taste. omelette station, friendly and helpful waiters, excellent coffee from espresso machines
Fresh fruit, soup, pastry. The Ascott Apartments are really very nice and quiet, our room had view to People square and Pudong. 100 % recommendation

Room Tip: register on the ascot homepage and get the members special offers
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your stay experience! I am so glad to know that you enjoyed living at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai.
I would particularly like to thank you for bringing up the breakfast: there has indeed been a lot of effort put into it's improvement, and it feels great to get your recognition for it!
Regarding the members' benefits available on the Ascott website, I'd like to share the good news for the Horse's Year: members get 10% discount on Best Available Rates! This year is also Ascott's 30th Birthday, so there will lots of fun stuff and other promotions coming up. Stay tuned!
Inka Uusitalo, Residence Manager