“OMG”

Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai
Ranked #148 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
“OMG”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

I arrived late on Tuesday evening from Australia, exhausted and looking forward to a shower and bed. My room was an unusual layout but after unpacking I believed I could live here for a few weeks. As my head hit the beautifully soft pillow I heard the distant, or so I thought, sound of roadworks. Wrong. It was the sound of roadworks approaching. No fault of the hotel but after a night of almost no sleep because of roadwork noise (diggers and trucks) I asked to move rooms to somewhere quieter. The opposite side of the building is offered and accepted.
After a busy day at work I arrive home to collect the things from my original room and relocate. No offer of help and i almost had to fight the concierge to be lent a trolley. As I am loading the trolley a bell boy appears, not to help but to ask me to hurry up as they need the trolley! I move and return it to the lobby.
The weds night is no better. The roadworks noise is replaced by the sound of pile driving from a building site opposite. Bang, bang, bang, bang every minute all night. Even with earplugs I can hear it but I can also feel it! The room is great (better than the last) but I can't put up with this. They ask me to stay even offering to move me to the 20th floor. I decide to quit but ant get a room until the Friday at my alternative accom so I have one last night. As I settle down on the Thursday evening there is silence and I think I have overreacted. Things aren't so bad. Wrong! At midnight begins 4 hours of concrete sawing! Relentless. I drop off around 4 (I know this as I have a sleep monitor) but am woken by fireworks at 4.30am. Presumably the local builders are celebrating their finishing work but I won't be staying to find out.
So whilst the hotel is ok...some rooms better than others...the staff were largely unhelpful and unhappy. The hotel can't fix the noise but they can fix the attitude. All in all I was so disappointed. The price was right, the location great but regret I won't be back...

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for your understanding concerning the roadwork noise. As you rightfully mentioned, those are out of our control, but nevertheless, when our residents quality of sleep is affected, it is quite a concern for us. While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. I am sincerely sorry that you were not provided with the usual assistance when relocating into a quieter room.
I also truly appreciate that you gave us the opportunity to address your concern directly, and to welcome you back soon at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I am currently a guest at the Ascott, having been here for two weeks so far and will be here a total of six months. I am staying in a one bedroom apartment on one of the higher floors.

The employees are very nice and helpful and I am enjoying my stay. I've found the service to be very good. I have temporarily relocated for work and this is the perfect location. It is close to everything you need and it's so nice to have a fully equipped kitchen and a living room. I definitely love the king size bed and bathroom! I also love the water cooler in the apartment which makes it so very convenient since you can't drink the water in Shanghai.

My only negative comment- which is out of the Ascott's control- is the construction that occurs sometimes late at night on the road and into the morning. It can be loud and frustrating.

I would absolutely recommend the Ascott to others and, if traveling here in the future, will likely return here myself.

Room Tip: One bedroom apartments are roomy and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience! It is a pleasure to have you stay with us.
London
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I went to Shanghai on business but need to bring my 8 month old son and wife. The hotel got great location. Located not far from a part and shopping centers. Good access to business districts in Puxi. Not for Lujiazui financial district though. The deco is of modern style. Well decorated kitchen, toilet, etc. I also liked bed which is 2 meters wide.

Cons: located bit far from any descent grocery store/supermarket. Only got a 7-11 store on B1 level. I struggled to get descent baby food for my son. As many previous reviewer mentioned, breakfast is bit humble. The dinning room is not very sizable to start with and selections were limited. Small but, of course, functional pool and gym.

Just add another point, this place seems to be very reasonably price.

Room Tip: Try to choose higher floors. You can hear some road noise on lower floors.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TongJ
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad that your family enjoyed their stay and appreciated our great location. Thank you for mentioning the beds: it is indeed important to get a good night 's sleep after an exciting day in this bubbling city.
The closest grocery stores are presently located about 10min walk away from our residence, in the XinTianDi-area. And the good news is, that there will be a large western-style grocery store in the Times Square mall, which is re-opening after extensive renovations within a couple of months. And that is only a few steps from our property!
Welcome back to Shanghai, we hope to see you soon again at Ascott Huai Hai Road!
Ningbo, China
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The location at HUA Hai rd is superb but the hotel for other purposes turns out average.
What could make it outstanding? A larger swimming pool - this one is some 15 m long which means a few strokes and you hit a wall. The breakfast - very average leaning towards Chinese. The omelette you Order often don't get delivered. So if you are fine with corn flakes and toast then its ok.
Service is average but they do try.
The decor kind of drags you down , dull wood color tones without the warmth. Bathrooms vary, some outstanding, some with varying water temperature which in winter can be downright disconcerting. The gym is adequate but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am glad that you enjoyed our prime location and dedicated staff. While we constantly strive to maintain the highest standards of customer satisfaction, regrettably, on this occasion, we have failed to meet your expectations in certain aspects of your recent stay with us. Breakfast service is being redefined with our provider, and I hope to have the pleausre of welcoming you again to experience the difference.
Gurugram (Gurgaon), India
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed at the Ascott for 4 days in March and have come back suitably impressed. The most important calling card of this hotel is its location. While this hotel was booked as it was next door to my office in Shanghai, but it is also close to all major attractions in Shanghai (Museum, Nanjing Road, Bund) and to numerous shopping options (both high end like LV, Tiffany to the Pacific Mall, Uniqlo etc). It's also a 10 minutes walk to Shanghai's answer to Covent Garden & Clarke Quay - Xintiandi
I stayed in the 1 bedroom studio apartment and it was nice to have a living room as a break away from the bedroom to chill out after a long day out. And the bed is perfect for a great night's sleep! My room faced one side of the road and gave me a great view of the elevated roads which run through Shanghai, a lovely patch of green. Higher floors should have a better view. While the hotel gives 3 complementary bottles of water and tea/coffee facilities, there's a 7-11 in the basement for basic provisions. In my short stay I didn't check out the pool, gym etc so cannot comment.
Food: As I'm a vegetarian, this was a challenge for me in Shanghai more than any other city. But the breakfast was sufficient and the staff was eager to please. The pasta on day 1 was also very well made.
Overall a great home away from home and a quite haven in the hustle & bustle of the teeming millions that Shanghai is

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NBharadwaj
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you for your review, what a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are indeed fortunate to have a great location, with the best of Shanghai within easy access. "Home away from home" is the atmosphere we strive to create, so I was particularly happy to read that description in your comment! On behalf of the whole team, thank you again for staying with Ascott in Shanghai, we hope to welcome you soon again.
Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I didn't expect much from this place during my extended stay since I had stayed here previously for only one night.

if you are looking for a temporary residence, this is definitely a good choice. Spacious, fairly new, and fully equipped with w/d, oven, fridge, coffee maker and the list goes on. Convenient to shopping, restaurants, and nightlife. Taxis aren't hard to come by, and the closest metro station is less than 1 minute away. From leaving my hotel room to getting to my workplace (near Jing'An temple), it took me 13 minutes. Amazing! The breakfast each morning was delicious--you have your choice of Chinese or western style breakfast or both! The staff is friendly and pleasant, nothing really to complain about.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
What a pleasure to know that your expectations were exceeded during your stay with us.
I have shared your comments with the whole team, and we would like to hank you for this recognition. Welcome back at Ascott!
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

First time in a serviced apartment and it wasn't too bad, I liked the extra room you'd normally get with a hotel suite and it had full kit hen facities too. Not bad and a good 4* residence in a central location with a 7 Eleven in the basement mall for stocking out your cupboards and fridge.

• Stayed January 2013
What a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your experience in a Serviced Residence! You described well the differences and advantages the apartments offer in comparison to traditional hotel rooms. Thanks to more space, an equipped kitchen and modern home appliances, you can live independantly and comfortable in prime city locations! Welcome back to Ascott for your future travels!
PS a couple of the pictures you have posted are actually not from Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai! The look is very similar, but I thought I would stll precise in case other customers were wondering.