“Great location & apartments” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai
Ranked #136 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“Great location & apartments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

Really comfortable apartments with comfortable spacious rooms. Fantastic location for all Luwan has to offer and also for metro stations. Our only problem was a 2 hour wait for our room. Despite this I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed in several Ascott properties and have always been exceeding pleased with its properties.

But this is the first that Ascott has disappointed me.

1) I booked the room for 2 adults but breakfast was only available for 1 person. This is a first I have heard. I didn't argue as the breakfast was only 80 Yuan. But it definitely made me feel sour. If it was going to be 1 breakfast, I would appreciate if during the booking that it was made known to me.

2) First impressions of the room were that it was dirty. The countertops were dirty. The tabletops were dirty. The toilet was not properly cleaned.

Housekeeping came every day. But every day the room was not properly cleaned. Trash in the room was sometimes not cleared.

I used a tea saucer to have a cake out from. The same saucer was placed in the sink and it was expected that housekeeping would wash and return it to its place on the countertop. But housekeeping did something extraordinary. They took the dirty saucer and place it back on the counter top with the cup and tea spoon on it. I knew it was dirty because there was cake cream all over the saucer.

It was disgusting. If Ascott expects the guest to clean the countertops and wash the utensils and clear the trash themselves, then the least they can do is provided cleaning rags and sponges and proper detergent for us to help them clean the room.

3) The water heating system was crazy. It would be very hot for 1 minute and very cold for 1 minute and just normal for a couple of minutes. Be prepared to stay in the showered for a while dealing with the crazy shower.

---

The hotel does have its redeeming qualities.

1) The location of the hotel is very central to most of Shanghai. It is of walking distance to the subway and to Xintiandi which has many restaurants.

2) Concierge did a fantastic job. They gave great advise on getting around Shanghai and when we needed a cab, they were very prompt in making sure we get one and that the driver knew our destination.

3) Wifi is free and relatively fast.

---

On the overall, I feel very disappointed with Ascotts Shanghai. It was way below expectations. With the price point I'm paying, I felt I wasn't getting the level of cleanliness and maintenance that should be expected. There is much to be improved.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank whatthe123
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience constructively, with both positive and negative aspects. While we constantly strive to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness, regrettably, on this occasion, we have fallen short of our key objective.
Breakfast is mostly not included in our rates, however you can find promotions with one complimentary breakfast. I am sorry that this was not clearly explained at reservation.
Unfortunately, there is no way of recreating the past or reversing your unpleasant experience. However, I can assure you that we truly value your feedback and it has been utilised to improve our service and communication.
I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming again, and serving you better: up to our standards and your expectations.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just got home from an eight-night stay at Ascott serviced apartments in Shanghai. The two-bedroom apartment was perfect for my friend, her mom, and me. I'd have given it five stars but there were just a few kinks that need to be worked out.

First the good: The apartment was roomy, well furnished and absolutely spotless. Extra points for two large bathrooms with spectacular showers. Linens were extra comfy, the bed appropriately firm, the pillows appropriately squishy, and the A/C appropriately quiet. Check-in/check-out was easy, and the breakfast was a rung or two above adequate (I'm not a big breakfast eater). The location was perfect -- just a block away from the metro, great shopping and dining in the immediate vicinity, plentiful cabs, a good massage place (Green Massage) nearby, and Fuxing Park across the street. There's a 7-11 on the basement level for snacks and beverages, and a grocery store a couple of blocks away.

The not-so-good: When we were shown to our room, the bellman did not speak English, and failed to point out how to operate the electricity (via keycard insert, it turns out), and it would have been nice to be warned that the A/C had to be reset each time we left the apartment. The staff knew basic English words (hello, good morning, thank you), and they were very pleasant, but very few were truly conversational in English. When I asked who the artist was who created the great chrome pudgy goddess sculpture in front of the building, even sign language couldn't help bridge the language gap. I'm still in the dark (but I think it's Botero).

Jack, the Ascott manager, intervened when it was clear we were unhappy that no one explained the electricity situation to us (we thought our power had gone out). He came into the lion's den when he knocked on the door, and I give him a lot of credit for being so gracious.

I guess the true test of accommodations is whether you would recommend it to a friend, and I would, without hesitation. Just make sure you know where to put your keycard when you enter.

Room Tip: Others have complained about street noise. We were on the 18th floor and it was dead quiet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for having taken the time to share your experience at Ascott Huai Hai Road! I am much obliged to you for posting such a nice review of our property. It is always a privilege, for the team and myself, to receive such positive input!
The electronic key system is designed for environmental reasons and is part of our green-standards, as it contributes to energy saving. It should obviously have been explained properly from the start and I am glad that Jack managed to catch up on that.
Concerning the sculpture in front of the entrance, it is actually created by Gao Xiao Wu, who is quite a famous contemporary artist in China. Gao questions our notions of true happiness and suggests that our souls have to be enriched first before the physical body can achieve a whole sense of happiness. Gao’s pieces can be interpreted in various ways,but one thing is for certain: his delightful pieces bring a smile to all their viewers.
I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you soon back to Ascott Huai Hai Road - your home in Shanghai.
Lahore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I came to shanghai for a meeting, usually i stay with Le Merridean and this time it was too pricey to be booked. I chose to stay in Ascott as they offered a good price with Breakfast. The room and accomodation was excellent. The only problem was the Breakfast, it was much nicer last year as it was managed by a foreigner. This time the crew at the Breakfast is all chinese and they dont care if customers like the breakfast they are getting or just being served same as a Motel 168 or Home Inn hotel. Would really recommend this hotel to improve there breakfast menu as well as service.

Room Tip: Premiere One room Apartment.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
AHHRSSHANGHAI, General Manager at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at Ascott Huai Hai Road Shanghai. It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay. Our breakfast buffet has a wide selection of Asian dishes, but the Western section is indeed more limited. We are working on it with the new restaurant manager, so I hope to welcome you soon again to show you the difference!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Location is nice, Huangpi nan lu metro station just across the road, xintiandi area just a few miuts away and a lot of better restaurants and upscale shopping nearby.

They have comfortable rooms with quality appliances ( induntion plates in kitchen, nice dvd with subwoofer, ipod dock etc.)
Gym is a bit small with a limited selection of equipment, but usually not too crowded. Pool is nice but also on small side.

Breakfast was average as mentioned by other reviewers, basic toast, chinese breakfast items and some bacon and eggs and very limited selection of fruits..

Staff is very friendly and they usually also understand english very well.

Room Tip: High floors will be further away from street and thus traffic noise will be less.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have stayed here everytime I'm in Shanghai.
The location is superb, close to the train station, and lots of high-profile boutique shops for your shopping pleasure within walking distance.
The rooms are downright beautiful. It doesn't exactly bowl you over with its spaciousness, but everything screams functionality and good taste.
The staff at the lobby are helpful, and internet connectivity is decent.

My biggest gripe is the breakfast - it's not too bad, but i would have expected a bigger selection available.

All in all, hugely impressive and have not been disappointed a single time in the numerous times i\I've stayed here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Conjured
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

This ideally located apartment hotel is a great place for a longer term stay. The Ascott is within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and tourist attractions. A few other points for consideration:

* Helpful, friendly staff
* Gym, pool and Tennis courts available
* Comfortable bed
* English language tv stations and DVD player
* Decent amount of space in 1 bedroom unit
* Easy subway access

There is an onsite restaurant with a limited menu. The bar on the 6th floor offers daily happy hour. This hotel is a good choice for long term business travelers and vacationers. I would stay here again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business