Oakwood Residence Shanghai
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
$150
$144
All reviewsliving roomhotel managementthe general managerlounge areaconvenient locationnice hotelmetrogymreceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Service apartments are excellent alternatives to full service hotels for business travellers as they often offer spacious and affordable accommodation at a fraction of the price. In my last trip to Shanghai, I stayed at the Ascott which I found quite pleasant.

This time, I have chosen the Oakwood Shanghai due to it’s proximity to our office location. We booked a two bedroom apartment for under RMB1,500++ including breakfast and internet which we thought is a good value. Oakwood, along with Frasers and Ascott are well renowned for high quality service apartments.

Arriving

I arrived at night and was a bit taken aback by the entrance. It’s rather small, tucked into a corner of a shopping mall. Only a lone bellboy was there to open the door. I checked in at the 5th floor, the so called “lobby” which is just a stand, with a small restaurant at the side. This is in stark contrast to the Ascott with it’s expansive lobby. This place has a very “motel” look.

The Apartment

In short, awful. It’s badly designed. The two bedrooms are very small, with the large bed taking up most of the space. The furniture in the apartment are bulky and ugly, and have seen better days despite the property still being new. The photos in the Oakwood website looks much nicer than the actual property really is.

The bathroom is ridiculous. There is no bathtub, only a walk-in shower. If one open the shower door, then there’s no space to use the vanity etc.. A couple will find this bathroom positively irritating.

There is a very small kitchen that feels claustrophobic. The kitchen is adequately equipped though but I can say cooking here is not going to be a pleasant experience due to the small space. The bedrooms are already small yet the hotel still try to squeeze in a small work desk. So one practically run out of space. If you work on the desk, the chair will either bang against the wall or the bedside. The so called “closet” is so small that you cannot even fit in a small luggage bag. The only space in the bedroom that I can put my luggage is the credensa that also house the TV. There is a washing machine and dryer that is tucked into, of all places, the bathroom. That means I cannot wash my clothes overnight without the washing machine making noise throughout the night.

There is no wireless internet. The wired internet requires a cryptic login userid and password that the apartment only provided if you asked for it. And it disconnects often.

To add more troubles, there is no soundproofing in the room. Despite being assigned an apartment at the highest floor ( 23rd floor ) and with all windows shut, I can hear every honking sound and traffic noise broadcasted loud and clear. Sounds also came through from neighboring units and above. That’s not all, a train station right outside the building add to the symphony of noise that is played throughout the night. You get the idea?

Service and Common Areas

There is no swimming pool or fitness centre. There is a small restaurant at the 5th floor which serve morning breakfast. Quality is bad and so are the selections. The egg omelet was cooked with so much oil that I felt positively nauseating afterwards.

Any service? Well, it is a serviced apartment operated at low cost, so what you expect? I counted not more than 4 staff at any time in the property throughout my entire 3-nights stay. One doorman at the entrance. One staff manning the reception desk. Two staff serving in the restaurant. That’s all. Want some detergent powder to wash your clothes? Sorry, we don’t provided. Need a heater because of the winter cold? Tough, we don’t provide. Need a cab? Sorry, we can’t help. Please go out and hail it yourself. And it’s a problem, because it is so remote, cabs don’t go there and one has to catch a taxi braving the cold. Staff here don’t do anything more than what’s absolutely required.

Conclusion

Any redeeming qualities? Well yes, the bed is quite comfortable. Other than that, I can’t think of anything good to say about this place. Not going to come back. The rates are cheaper than Ascott, but it is actually bad value for money for what it delivers. There are definitely better options out there.

2 out of 5, and nothing more.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank BENLEE123
OakwoodAsiaPacific, General Manager at Oakwood Residence Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2012

Dear Ben

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We appreciate your feedback and take it constructively to improve upon where we can. We have had a problem with the Internet system at the property and are working hard to rectify it, my apologies for any inconvenience caused. The breakfast quality is also something that I am personally focusing on and which will see an improvement in the next few weeks. As for the inadequate service of our associates, again I thank you for pointing this out, I apologize for the unsatisfactory experience and am committed that the whole team be retrained immediately!
As for the design of the property, we had built the apartments to best suit the physical resources. Our aim is to create an environment that is exclusive and tranquil, much like a private residence.
You have indeed provided me much to work on to improve our guest experience and I hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest again. Please feel free to contact me when you are in Shanghai again.

Sincerely, Peter Luca, General Manager

Reviewed May 31, 2011

Went with family 13-20. Took up a 3 bedder. All was quite good. Only things to be displease of is that this residence only have one car for airport transport. Nite time ard 10 plus behind the residence there will b "nite mkt" selling cheap show and clothings.

Oh room there no wireless . Bad point. Must use cable. Wireless only at lvl 5 chk in area.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank littleJun
Reviewed March 12, 2011

Oakwood shanghai may not be in the best location for business travellers but gives you best value for money. there's a nearby train station ( cao yang line 3 and 4) that can easily take u from point a to b. Considering the bad traffic in sh, train is the way to go.

We stayed in a One Bedroom Executive Suite, 89 sqm with its own living room, dining area, kitchen and laundry--- basically everything you need.

This is also connected to Imago Mall with nice shops like Zara and many restaurants. There is also a kfc and mcdo and a bank outside oakwood where i exchanged money.

Breakfast buffet was simple but filling. The restaurant served yummy fish and chips, hainanese chicken and some asiAn fare - all ranging from rmb 50 to less than rmb100 which is a good price for hotel standard.

Will definitely stay here again. Worth every penny spent.

• Stayed: March 2011
3  Thank TravellingCardigan
Reviewed November 21, 2010

Its beside the mall, there are lots of food chains outside and theres a food court in the mall, its near carrefor so you can buy everything you need. Cab is easy, train is walking distance. =) The rooms are clean and new.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Everydaye
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I went to Shanghai for a business trip and stayed there during the weekend for some sightseeing on my own. My stay at the Oakwood Residence was the best thing that happened to me in Shanghai. The studio apartment was nice, clean and spacious (82 sq. m). There were a fully equipped kitchen, a fridge and a washing machine. The bell boy was smart enough to carry your luggage from your taxi to your door, which was something i couldn't find at the hotel arranged by my company. i can say that the service there was way above the average you could receive from many other places in Shanghai. There was a shopping mall underneath the oakwood residence, with a supermarket, a cinema, a food court, many eateries, and some brands including ZARA and Bershka. After going to the over-crowded expo, using the early out-of-service metro, stucking in the heavy traffic day and night, you wouldn't want to go anywhere but to stay at the hotel room. it's lucky that i stayed at the Oakwood because it's a place you can call "home".

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo