“Classy with an oriental touch, nice view”

The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong
Ranked #2 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Had a short one night stay with room overlooking the tower as well as the Shanghai bund across. Perfect for those with meetings at Pudong area hotel to save transportation getting across from Puxi the next day. Attentive staff,very fast check in and check out with minimal hassle. Luxurious bathroom. I have no faults for this hotel, it lives up to its brand.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,737)

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I cannot express my thanks enough to the staff for making our visit so special and memorable. My son and I felt like we were on Mount Olympus. We swam in the infinity pool on the 53rd floor overlooking the Bund and relaxed in the ample infinity hot tub with the same view. It is breath taking!. We also went to the rooftop restaurant called Blaze or Torch. I don't remember the name but the food and the view I will always remember. I had a Malaysian dish of noodles cooked in coconut milk with curry, prawn, papaya, ginger and other things that made it magically delicious. My son and had been working in country for two months and this sure was an awesome treat. This is actually the first time something "Ritzy" ever lived up to it's hype in my experience. All I can say is the management must be good to have employees so happy to do their job. I cannot say enough how well we were treated, like Rock stars but better; like friends who are Rock Stars. If you got some cash and want to be ensconced in luxury around genuinely friendly people, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Last year on my business trip to Shanghai, I stayed at the Ritz Carlton for 7days. The rooms were just great. The hotel itself is a skyscraper and finds itself among that iconic Pudong skyline.

Food was good. The dining halls were just great.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Bund side have picturesque views and are available at a premium but the other non-premi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2014

This was one of the most impressive hotels I have been to and I am sad that I was only able to stay for two nights. This was the first time in my business travels that I wanted to extend for an extra night but the hotel was fully booked and the rate had nearly tripled.

Similar to the hotel in Hong Kong, the main reception is on a high floor and the elevators get you up and down the floors in lightning speed! The decor is classy, modern with many tasteful touches throughout. I was very impressed with the efficient check in and even more impressed that my room was upgraded to Bund view instead of the city view that I was booked in.

The room did not disappoint, from the luxurious king bed, the double sinks, spacious shower and stand alone bathtub (which unfortunately went unused due to a busy work schedule) to the lounge sofa and beautiful artful touches. The view is absolutely stunning though on my second day the smog/fog rolled in and could not see a thing outside.

The area is conveniently linked to IFC and Super Brand Mall and I was amazed by how modern, clean and high tech the area was. I've been to Shanghai many times but not to this specific area of Pudong and I was completely taken aback by the "sci-fi" feel - like an Asian version of Blade Runner. Surreal and most impressive. I barely stepped foot outside of the hotel as my conference was held there and I had everything I needed. Just wish I had some more time to grab a coffee from IFC or try out one of the many restaurants in the area.

I had almost all my meals at Scena, a beautiful cafe with stunning views. The breakfast was a bit overpriced at RM260 considering a small selection of food. The coffee was grind pressed and not very strong nor impressive. I think this is the one thing that can be improved. Quality coffee!

The lounge on the 52nd floor also had stunning views and the cocktail selection was interesting. I recommend getting a table by the window and enjoying a champagne cocktail while looking out at the spectacular views. The place is pretty crowded with many social groups taking a lot of pictures so be warned. A lovely server named Alina looked after us two days in a row and she was so memorable in her friendly manner she was worth a mention in this review!

The staff recommended the 58th floor bar for a drink but it was completely shrouded in smog and fog and couldn't see a thing. Plus, it was so popular that all the tables were booked and we didn't want to sit outside with all the smokers.

Overall, highly recommended for pleasure or business. From what I can tell, the rate is fairly reasonable for this standard of hotel - it is a must see and must stay the next time you are visiting Shanghai. Do ask for a room with a view of the Bund.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank canadahk
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed in a spacious art deco Shanghai Bund view suite, with floor to ceiling glass windows looking across the way to the Bund. What a fabulous view! The bathroom was very spacious, with double sinks. The staff was very friendly, both at breakfast and especially in the club lounge, where we feasted so much on evening appetizers that we decided we didn't need dinner. As an example of the extra service provided by hotel management interns in the club lounge, when my husband started coughing very badly, they took it upon themselves to bring him some hot lemon tea with honey, which immediately stopped the coughing. Then the chef insisted on putting together a special plate of appetizers for him in the kitchen. After we asked about the names of some of the buildings we could see on the Bund, the staff had a map delivered to our room.

Room Tip: Spring for a Bundt view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

The lobby lounge on the 52nd floor offers a closer panoramic view of thr bund than the famous observation decks in jin mao tower and swfc. Drinks are reasonably priced starting at around 90 to 100rmb per glass. Given the relaxing ambience and impeccable service, it is certainly a nice place to hang out with friends and spend some quality time together. Do ask for seats near the window but usually they are occupied by couples haha

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BennyHK
Reviewed June 1, 2014

staff were great, the Italian restaurant made the best pizza I've ever had (and I also do business in Italy and the US) and the rooms really high end (nice slipper bath...). Gym is a bit tired but again staff very helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business