“Very nice hotel”

Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #16 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Ive stayed at this hotel 5 times now and have enjoyed every stay. The service is great and the staff are very friendly. The Buffet dinner and breakfast is delicious and fresh.
The rooms are very luxurious and clean. The beds are very fresh and comfortable. The gym is amazing too. A Whole floor with state of the art machines and cold wet towels given to you during your workout.
I will always be back.

• Stayed January 2013
JR_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear EKDXB,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I was delighted to read that you had another enjoyable stay with Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai, and that you were pleased with the service and facilities as well as your breakfast and dinner experiences at Arte Cafe. I am also glad to hear that you found our fitness center very pleasant.

I appreciate you recommending Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the near future.

John Roberts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Ridgefield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

Spent 5 nights on business and thouroughly enjoyed. Staff is excellent and attentive. Breakfast was included, and quite comprensive - western, asian, european foods, as well as a rotation so it wasn't the same everyday. Work out facilities were amazing and virtually empty. Pool was closed but that was ok, would have only been an added bonus. Lots of TV channels to choose from in English and many other languages. Area is quiet, but it's a short walk to Century Park which is like NYC Central Park. I had a beautiful day and enjoyed seeing families and sights in the 50F weather as the plums were just coming into bloom. Football stadium in one corner which also provided some entertainment. Area is in business/ex-pat community, so felt quite safe, but not a lot of other sights, which was ok since I'd been to Shanghai before. Across the street is a shopping mall area & nice restaurants (mix of Westerna & Asian) attached to Kery hotel. Would love to go back!

Room Tip: They offered me a discount to upgrade to a larger room, which I took without much consideration, but...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear JLC66,

Thank you very much for your recommendation on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai.

It is indeed very gratifying to learn that you appreciated the high level of customer service you experienced, and for which Jumeirah is renowned. Thank you for you warm acknowledgements of the hotel, especially our fitness centre, your breakfast experience, and the high level of customer service provided by our dedicated team of colleagues.

Once again, thank you very much for your kind words. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back at Jumeirah Himalayas, hopefully in the very near future.

Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. In general the hotel was as you would expect for it's class. However, there were a few real let downs. First, we had a transfer booked from our flight. When our flight was late, the driver left, and then we were told, quite forcefully, that we would still need to pay for the transfer. It took an argument and a few days to get it resolved.

Also, one morning I sat a few minutes past the end of breakfast in the seating area outside in the foyer, just using my laptop, not eating or looking for more food. Two large security guards came and stood close to me and stared at me until I left the area. It's not an area that is closed off or needs to be cleared between meals, so this was absurdly heavy handed.

The final issue is that the food was very ordinary for the price in all of the eateries except for breakfast, which was generally very good.

On the positive side the rooms were modern and spacious. But overall, you could do a lot better at this price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank workingineurope
JR_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear workingineurope,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments concerning your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai. We appreciate your feedback.

I am very happy to hear that enjoyed our beautiful rooms and food during the breakfast although I was concerned to read that you left the hotel feeling disappointed. I would like to personally apologize to you if we did not meet your expectations. I would like to pledge to you that it is certainly never our intension to disappoint our guests & we have always strived for guests to have wonderful memories of their stay. Your comments with regards to the limousine transfer booking and breakfast experience have been noted and passed on to the concerned managers to look into the matter and for corrective action so that we may exceed your expectation in your next visit. We will be in touch personally via email so that we many apologize personally.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and thereby giving us the opportunity to improve our service quality. I do hope that this incident will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Himalayas in the future and that you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah is known for.

Reno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Oh la la – to me Chinese luxury far outstrips US and even European luxury. Jumeirah is over the top in service, amenities, and peace. I was working across the street from Jumeriah and couldn’t ask for a better place. This is known as an art hotel and the fung shui is noticeable in how peaceful and calming the place is despite it’s massive size. I didn’t make the time to take a tour of the art, you can borrow a guided audio tour but I’m guessing it would be a worthwhile 30 – 60 minutes.

Something is going very right at this hotel! There has to be impeccable training to provide the level of service you get. ALL of the staff are friendly, kind, remember your name, even after I left the hotel for a few days and then returned. I don’t think I’ve encountered this level of customer service ever! Every single person went above and beyond the call of duty. When I woke up earlier than my alarm due to time differences and headed down the gym, someone came to knock on my door later on to make sure I was up since I didn’t answer my wake up call. They still have live human beings give you your friendly wake up call. The breakfast restaurant manager, Cayetana remembers your name from day to day and she comes around to make sure your breakfast is fine. The food is excellent. I also ate upstairs one evening and the food was great there as well.

You can get a fantastic massage across the street. If you’re looking for a “massage” and not sex, be sure not to walk into any of the places with beautiful women hanging around the reception area. A colleague did that by accident. I had a blissful foot massage, can't recall the name of the place, but I think there are many. I also got a great hair cut across the street. Very reasonable and one of the best hair cuts I've ever gotten - maybe it's better when you don't speak the language and they simply do what they want.

The gym is lovely as is the pool and sauna. They had an ice room which I didn’t use, but it looked pretty interesting. Again, the staff down in the gym are phenomenal.

There are many good restaurants in the mall/business park across the street at Kerry Park. I tried the Malaysian and Vietnamese restaurant for a slight change of pace from Chinese food and enjoyed both very much.

I hope I can return to this wonderful hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
JR_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear olajane,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback from your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai. We appreciate your comments and support.

I am very pleased to read that you were so happy with your stay, and that you would choose to stay with us again in the future. I appreciate especially your positive comments about the service in the hotel. This is, of course, the key focus of our ongoing training, and it is gratifying to see that the results are apparent. I will be sure to pass on your comments to Cayetana and her supervisors, they will be very appreciative.

Thank you once again for your comments, and for your support, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah in the near future.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

This hotel is impressive from the outside and inside, the lobby is fantastic, we stayed in a suite which was beautiful. Only negatives I would say is its very complex, multiple light switches everywhere yet none of them where you need them to be. The design is very open plan and see through, so half the glass in the bathroom is open - make sure you know the person well you are sharing with! Similarly if your partner wants to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, they will have no choice but to blaze the room with light through the glass. We also heard quite a bit of noise from the room above - possibly due to the wooden floors.
However, every part of the hotel is fantastic, we ate in the Arte cafe which serves a fantastic buffet. The chef even went out of his way to bring me some Dim Sum that wasn't on the buffet menu that evening. We had a fantastic Spanish waitress (can't remember her name) but she took lots of time to give us tourist information and recommendations on where to visit - I do hope she can be commended for her helpfulness.
The location is right beside the exhibition centre, and there is a metro station right outside the front door. Not much else in the area.
All in all, a fantastic hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a quiet area.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear speedbird1984,

Thank you very much for your feedback from your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai, and for your TripAdvisor recommendation.

It is indeed very gratifying to read that we were able to deliver the high level of customer service that Jumeirah is renowned for. Thank you for such warm acknowledgements of the hotel, especially of the service in Arte Café restaurant. I will be sure to pass your comments onto Cayetana ( the Spanish Assistant manager there ) – she and her team will find them very motivating without doubt.

I am also pleased to receive your comments on where you feel we could improve – please rest assured we are looking into them for long term solutions.

Once again, thank you for recommending Jumeirah Himalayas. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

With many hotels in the area , Jumeirah Himalayas truly lives up to its name; 'stay different' . With so many hotel franchises around, this hotel will give you a reason to come back. As stated before this state of the art hotel located next door to the old Shanghai expo. offers attention to detail with great rooms, free wifi, excellent food and staff who are all English speaking and very helpful. Watch out for the newly opening soon mall underneath the hotel!

( The hotel reception does not exchange money anymore , it will have to be done at the exchange place downstairs in the new mall. )

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Travel A
JR_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Travel A,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback from your recent stay at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai, and for recommending the hotel on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased to see that you were satisfied with your stay. Thank you for you warm acknowledgements of the hotel design and quality, especially regarding your room and the high level of customer service provided by our team. I do note your comments concerning the currency exchange, and would like to inform you that this is only a temporary situation, and that we will be in a position to reintroduce the service in the very near future.

Thank you once again, Travel A, for your comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Jumeirah Himalayas soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Welcome to China Jumeirah!!

Absolutely stunning architecture externally and internally. Embraces a true Chinese theme in the gorgeous and vibrant Arte Cafe & Lounge. Spent several hours here just hanging out drinking from their extensive herbal tea collection, service excellent and food 5 star.

Great use of electronics throughout the impressive lobby with images dancing on the ceiling and other walls and a small group of live muscians playing as a center piece.

Enjoyed one of their largest suites +/- 1000 sq.ft. which is not big big but it's quite big for Shanghai standards. Everything worked well as to be expected with an almost brand new hotel. Bed extremely comfortable consistent with global Jumeirah standards. Spacious bathroom with separate loo (toilet), big soaking tub, twin basins and one of my favorites L'Occitane toiletries.

The suite enjoyed a 4 seater diningroom table and huge amounts of cupboard (closet) space! Large electronic safe always useful when traveling. Quaint Chinese writing desk with great lighting.

Breakfast was exceptional with the Chefs preparing for me one of the best Eggs Benedict on that side of the Pudong River!

One of the best hotel gyms ever. Great machines, plenty of treadmills. Stunning indoor swimming pool. Spa not yet opened when I visited in August 2012.

Regarding the location it is one of the closest hotels to the Shanghai Convention Center so that will be good for some. Metro right out side so easy to get to all parts of the city if you can handle the underground. Took a taxi one night to the Bund was suprised to get there in just 12 minutes.

Overall a superb and exciting hotel property. Staff exceptional and for my part delighted to see Jumeirah in Shanghai.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Harv and Les C
JR_Hotel_Manager, Manager at Jumeirah Himalayas Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Harv and Les C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your extensive feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you were pleased with the service as well as the facilities at Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai.

I appreciate you pointing out so many positive elements during your stay, from such a variety of different areas. I will certainly pass your kind comments to the departments you mentioned – they will find such positive feedback very motivating, and I thank you for that.

I am pleased to advise that we opened the Talise Spa at the beginning of September – I do hope you will have the opportunity to enjoy a treatment when next you return to Shanghai.

Once again, Harv and Les C, I greatly appreciate you recommending Jumeirah Himalayas Shanghai and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the very near future.