“Unique Designs, excellent breakfast area”

Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund
Ranked #14 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Sydney, Australia
“Unique Designs, excellent breakfast area”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

A friend suggested me to stay there to experience the unique interior design features of this hotel located on the Bund in Shanghai.

The design features are unlike the usual 5 star hotels in Asia, they are very heavy on individualism design cues and reminisce of the old Shanghai in 1930s. I was born in Shanghai so I could relate.

I was on my own and only stayed there for 8 hours for sleep so i got a standard room which I have to say was a little small in size however filled with amenities. Spacious bathroom though.

The breakfast area had nice views over looking the HuangPu River and architectures on both sides of the river which was refreshing in the morning.

All in all, interesting experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Situated along ZhongShan Lu, this hotel is a short walk to the famed Bund of Shanghai. Not sure if its very accessible to the train station as we travelled everywhere by taxis.

The room is tastefully decorated in a modern oriental style. They gave us brandy, kahlua and popcorn the first night we're there during the turndown service. It has an amazing gym overlooking the whole pudong area. Will definitely recommend all my friends to stay here when they're in shanghai!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The rooms and general architecture and design of the hotel are top notch. We had a deluxe room facing the Bund and river, and definitely recommend it. However, what really let's this hotel down is the poor service. The concierge is non-existent, ie you just have a general check in desk, and while we'll intentioned they are pretty clueless and unorganized. Just to speak to someone you have to wait 10-15 minutes as they are very understaffed, and when asking for details on where to go and instructions in Chinese for taxi drivers, the staff fall short. We found ourselves dumped at some random intersection too many times and the concierge had just been lazy at writing out detailed instructions! Very frustrating, and not what you want in a city like Shanghai that is quite difficult to navigate.

We also had a pretty unpleasant check in experience, they tried to charge us more than we had booked for and I had to finally dig out my email confirmation and show it to them. They were also very aggressive in trying to up sell us to a suite. Not impressed.

Earlier in the week we were at the Ritz Carlton in Pudong. Talk about night and day around service. Indigo should take some tips from the Ritz.

Overall, great rooms, but I wouldn't stay here again. Just too much hassle with the staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeanPugs
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Stunning hotel. Great design and attention to detail.
Staff were super impressive from front desk right up to char (see char bar review)
Amazing views everywhere
Food was delicious with great coffee in quay.
Bed was super comfortable . No need to watch tv as you could watch the activity on the river, the bund or over in pudong.
Also good gym. Practical.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The location of the hotel, "on the Bund", is only technically correct. The "Bund" is almost a mile long and the hotel is at the very tail end of it. The good news is, during the day, it's quite pleasent to walk on the promanade without the crowd of tourist. But if you want to walk back to the hotel after dinner, it's a long walk and the last stretch near the hotel is quite desolate. Not a problem for a group but can be a bit spooky if alone.

Additional problem with the location is it's not close to the subway stations. So taxi is a neccesity. Unfortuantely (though this is not the hotel's fault), Shanghai taxi drivers make taxi driver of Rome seem honest! After having an issue with the taxi ride TO the hotel, I was watching out on the return trip to the airport. And sure enough, the taxi driver (different driver) tried to pull another overcharge stunt! OK, it didn't work the second time but it's really very unpleasent. Given I had a mid-day flight and not in a hurry, I would have prefer to take the extra time to use the subway, but that's not an option given the distance from the nearest subway station. It would be a welcome service if the hotel would at least run a free shuttle to the subway station!

Still, consider it's about half the price of hotels actually ON the Bund, it's a good value for its reasonable location to access all the key tourist spots. And the view of the Bund from the lounge and bar are nice.

What makes this hotel stand out is the excellent condition and service!

Room is tastefully decorated. OK, a bit over-decorated.

Everything works! That's not something to be taken for granted for even upscale hotels in China! TV, radio, electric kettle, wall sockets, every single light! A light bulb went out on day 2 and I didn't even report it, the next day it's replaced! Clearly, the housekeeping staff did their job very diligently.

Bed is comfortable. And despite reading some report of noise from other reviewers, I heard NONE. OK, a very faint traffic noise from the street. But consider this is in the heart of the city, the sound insulation is excellent!

Bathroom isn't quite my taste. I don't care for the rain shower (I like an adjustable shower head so I can choose the strength of the water stream). The drain, like every single drain in Chinese hotel bathrooms, do not drain well (Chinese don't seem to be able to master how to tile slanted floor). I found it gross to have to stand in a pool of water to finish my shower. I solve the problem by standing on the little stool (meant to be sat on). The heated toilet seat was far too hot, I end up with a rash which probably due to dry skin from the heat. Other than those minor issues, bathroom is spotlessly clean and towels are in good shape (again, not to be taken for granted in China)

I didn't eat in the hotel (I know Shanghai well and wanted local food) so no comment. Price seems a bit high, though assuming the food quality matches the rest of the hotel, it would be acceptable.

The part I like the most is the excellent SERVICE. All the staff I encountered were polite and professional. All spoke English, though some better than others. I won't enumerate the various extra services they did for me here, it would be too long. But the staff did everything I asked, whether it's their job or not. Nor did I get the impression they're doing it for the tips. I tip when they go above and beyond their duty but not for everything like in other hotels (the staff at Indigo don't hang around giving hints for tips like staff of other Chinese hotel).

All in all, it's an excellent hotel, a very good value despite it's less than ideal location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank A T
Bruce_au, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Shanghai on the Bund, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Hi at_nyc and greetings from Shanghai,

thank you for your detailed feedback.

I really appreciated your feedback on the team at Indigo and their great attitude. I believe they LOVE what they do and this means they go above and beyond in delivering what we hope is a great guest experience. Your comments will be passed on in our team meeting.

Thanks also for the feedback about the taxis - we will take this up with local authorities as this is not acceptable but out of our control. I will say that this is very rare in Shanghai so for it to happen to you twice is very unfortunate. I have our emphasized for our lobby hosts to ensure that the taxi meter is ON when guest depart.

One other thing to mention. All rooms at Hotel indigo have been treated to an additional double glaze since we opened. It should be very quiet now. We did however manage to retain an "opening window" in each room for those that want free flow air and the sounds of the river !

Once again thanks for the feedback and very best from the South Bund

Bruce
Switzerland
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place was one of the best on our tour through China and probably the best choice in Shanghai: friendly and helpful plus English speaking staff in all areas (even in the gym, restaurant with many English speaking people or at least perfect English speaking supervisor), new equipment, good and modern taste in design, superb room service, good food in the restaurant, even better food in the restaurant on top floor, nice bar with great view.
And for you special interest: fully glassed shower to enjoy showering in a special way ;-)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kohlmi
Larvik, Norway
Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Second time I'm here for a week in December. Everything with this hotel is mostly good so this is what they could improve:

*Better select of wholegrain bread at breakfast.
*Bar prices too expensive. Same with minibar. Trust me, I live in world's most expensive country in Scandinavia. (see photo of price list, and ridiculous offer on energy bar at 35rmb).
*Wireless speed could be much better.

With these changes I'm definitely returning back on next trips. We'll see though, let's see how they do ;-)

• Stayed December 2012