“Great way to see the variety of Shanghai: not just the Bund and the Skyscrapers”
Review of China Cycle Tours

Three-Day Private Shanghai to Beijing Tour by Air
$670.00*
2-Day Private Tour of Beijing from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I read other great reviews on China Cycle Tours on TripAdvisor, so we made it the main event of our first day in a week-long visit to Shanghai. Patrick was our private tour guide for my wife, 16-year-old son and I. We were staying in the French Concession (I recommend Shirley's Temple 88 apartment: see my review there for a great location and "feels like home" accommodation) and a 15-minute, US$3 taxi ride took us to Central Plaza at Huangpi Road (S), where Patrick met us and had our bicycles ready. Another small group was going to be part of our tour but didn't show up, so we had a private tour for the 3 of us. We chose the afternoon/evening tour from 3 to 10 pm, which made for cooler temperatures for our late-September visit.
The bicycles were like-new Giant street bikes, with a front basket; single-speed, which was fine for the leisurely riding on the flat streets throughout Shanghai. The pace was good, and we could stop when we wanted. Planned stops included the Confucius memorial, traditional market, riding through "old Shanghai," Yuyuan Garden (very beautiful but crowded with throngs of tourists), crossing the river on the ferry to Pudong and back, and a excellent dumpling/soup meal (included) for dinner.
We couldn't all hear what our guide was telling about the city as we rode by places: a disadvantage of the group bicycle tour. But bicycle is still a great way to get around the city (at least with a guide who knows their way around, and knows how to negotiate with the other traffic!). We thought about keeping the bikes as a rental (good discount available), but decided to use Metro to get around the rest of the week (easy, cheap, and convenient if you don't mind standing on a crowded subway train).
I concur with others that this is a great way to see highlights of the city, to know where you will want to spend more time. I suggest you might ask the guide and write down the places you will be seeing (or they could provide a summary/simple map) to help for the next days of your visit to know where you want to go back for a 2nd visit.
For China, the price seemed expensive for the tour (especially for a small group), but we felt it was a good way to see some highlights of the city, and was preferable to riding on a bus with a much larger tour group in slower traffic.
Bicycle helmets were not provided as advertised: you might want to confirm a helmet in advance if you really want one. You do sign away all liability before beginning the ride, and there is a bit of risk riding bicycles in the traffic. But the riding was not strenuous (even with the single-speed bikes) and we took some photos while riding.

3  Thank blawrensen

Reviewed September 3, 2010

We booked for 2 but, after a phone call, came with 3 persons which was no problem. Joe was our guide, relaxed, easy going, very polite, knows a lot of history and interested in us as a person. Because my mam isn't the youngest anymore (67 yrs) we cycled not fast and very easy going which was great for her. The roads we took were fine, easy accesible, not in any way we felt overwhelmed by the busy traffic in Shanghai.
We recommend this trip to everybody who loves to see Shanghai from a bicycle. Even the heat wasn"t bothering us.

2  Thank flythedutch
Reviewed August 30, 2010

It was my first time to Shanghai and decided to take a city tour with China Cycle Tours. It was fantastic to be able to bike the city with a guide who know the city and the roads. First, it is very convenient to bike since you do not need to deal with parking or other modes of transportation and you can just hop off and on the bike on the places you would like to visit. Secondly, you travel with a guide who explains you all the places and the history of them. My guide Melody was very kind and helpful. This is absolutely best way to discover Shanghai if you enjoy biking and China Cycle Tours will be my top pick to do it.

2  Thank tripp2008
Reviewed August 17, 2010

The 3 day mountain bike and rafting tour was well organised, with very informative guides who spoke good english. We were a perty of 7 with two small children. The Li River rafting was so spectacular words dont do it justice. It was a nice relaxing time after our early flight. The following day we had arranged a bike trip to a small waterfall where we swam in the cool crystal clear water. In the afternoon we cycled to Yangshou through the rice fields and along the Li river.
The hotels even though 3* were very clean and of a good standard. The food which we requested to be chinese was very good and plenty of. Everyone was completely satisfied after the trip was over.

2  Thank ShindigShanghai
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I booked a 1 day tour, and chose 3:30 pm to 9:00 pm which is probably the best time than the morning one as it is less hot and you get the night view as well. I was the only one in the tour that day as it was very hot (middle of summer). The tour leader Patrick was very friendly, accomodating and made sure of my safety. I was worried about bicycling around Shanghai, but it was relatively safe, but still I don't recommend for kids (although they claim that a 7 year old did it before) and for those not use to city cycling (although big streets have bike lanes). I was also worried if I can bike for 6 hours, but since we made a lot of stops along the way, it felt very easy and leisurely. We drove around Old Town, Yu Bazaar, crossed through ferry to Pudong, drove around Pudong, and had a dinner at dumpling restaurant which is part of the tour. It was certainly a great experience, and quick & enjoyable way to see Shanghai (than if you were to walk around yourself) with a local guide. In Spring and Autumn, I think, it would be great, but summer, be prepared for sunscreen, cap, and extra shirt, and a rain coat if it rains! It was not cheap at RMB 750 for 1 person, but gets cheaper if there are more people, but worth it.

2  Thank alexsolotraveler
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2010

Many thx for your very kind review, this really helps us! Let me know whenever you're back in Shanghai,hope to see you again cycling with us!

Best regards,