“Excellent tailor-made guided tour of Shanghai highlights”
Review of China Cycle Tours

China Cycle Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
$550.00*
and up
2-Day Private Tour of Xi'an from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Shanghai, China
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent tailor-made guided tour of Shanghai highlights”
Reviewed April 22, 2010

China Cycle Tours were very accommodating of our needs in arranging our Shanghai tour. Although we booked on a standard package, we discussed our tour preferences with our guide Li and, with her guidance, came up with a tailored package. Li was a Shanghai local with lots of knowledge that she was always ready to share. The bikes were modern, serviceable and came with safety equipment.

Touring by bike is an excellent way of seeing the sights. It might have been daunting to cycle on our own but Li shepherded us safely through the traffic system to access areas that we would not otherwise have found. Perhaps surprisingly, Shanghai has an abundance of cycle lanes. Li was also happy to stop and walk us round areas not accessible by bike or chat with us during a coffee stop. The whole tour was conducted in a very comfortable, relaxed and un-rushed manner.

We would thoroughly recommend China Cycle Tours to visitors to Shanghai.

Ross and Steve

2 Thank Tourers_10

Manila
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best way to see Shanghai”
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We did the Shanghai 1 day tour,the tour went through all different parts of Shanghai, from the charming French concession, through little traditional alleyways, along the famous old street to the ever changing skyline of Pudong. My guide was wonderful, new the local places and inns and outs of shanghai and was super enthusiastic about biking. If you want to see Shanghai from a different perspective i would definitely recommend taking a bike tour.
Rafael

1 Thank Rafael123
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Different way to see the city”
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I went on the Sunday afternoon bike ride in Jan 2010 (not sure if it’s still running). Being winter I was the only one on the tour, but the guide was incredibly helpful, and took me to all the sights.

I agree with other comments that this is not a history tour, so there is some, but not a lot, of history given when you visit sites. Personally I found this fairly typical on other tours in China, so I don't think it is specific to this tour.

Having said that, I thought it was a great way to see Shanghai. Yes, you can get a taxi, or the metro, but its great fun getting out on the streets. The guides make riding in Shanghai safe, or at least a lot safer than doing it yourself. Locals seem to enjoy the sight too.

Overall a good way to see Shanghai, would definitely recommend it.

1 Thank daz1897
Saudi Arabia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“The best way to see Shanghai at night is on a bicycle”
Reviewed March 25, 2010

I stumbled across this almost by accident and it turned out to be a highlight of the trip. Shanghai comes alive at night and the best way to see it is on a CCT bicycle. We're a family of four and the trip was well suited for all of us. My son (age 10) rode his own bike while my daughter (age 9) rode with me in a large child seat attached to my bike. We covered about 15k in a few hours at a very relaxed pace that would be suited to any rider. The town is completely flat so there are no hills to climb. Li did a great job of taking us through intersections carefully and avoided hazards one might encounter in any crowded city. Safety was a top concern and not left to chance, and her route covers bicycle friendly roads with bike lanes and alleys with little or no vehicle traffic.

Our trip started in the French Concession and we visited some of the most cosmopolitan areas of the city before taking back streets and alleys that showed us the more traditional Shanghai where the Chinese people spend their evenings. We then crossed the river to take in the night views of the brightly lit modern buildings of Pudong on the east side as well as the traditional colonial buildings along the opposite side. It would be difficult to cover this much ground and enjoy the same sites from a car, and next to impossible to replicate this route without a seasoned veteran for a guide. The CCT bikes are new and sturdy, Li Shen is an expert guide that is very fluent in English, and I can promise that a good time will be had by anyone that is a bit adventurous and capable of pedaling a bicycle. Add this to your must-do list, you'll be sorry if you don't.

3 Thank expatrick
Slovenia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth it”
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This was my first trip to China and at first it was meant only as an exploration of historical sights in an old-fashioned way . And since my itinerary was almost full ( i always leave a day or two empty for improvisation ) , i didn't have any sporting activities in mind (i almost never do) . But a dear friend of mine recomended to take one of the tours they have to offer . And since he is an expirienced traveller and i always had a lot of fun following his advice , i said i will try it . And i must say i really liked it and had a lot of fun,which was truly surprising even for me (like i said,i am not really a sports fan ) .

The tour leaders were really nice and kind and you get to see a lot of interesting sights ,which i would surely miss if i would explore the city in my ussual way.And yeah,the night view of Shanghai was fantastic.One of those things,you even don't want to photograph,because you know you will always remember it .

So,like the title says,really well worth it. And since i found this tour on recomendation,i decided to post this review and recommend it also to other travellers.It really is a great way to explore the city.

And to the CCT staff , I can only say : a tour well done !

1 Thank Travelwwide