“Great Fun”

Three-Day Private Shanghai to Beijing Tour by Air
$670.00*
2-Day Private Tour of Beijing from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 12, 2012

After trying a cycling tour in Tokyo and loving it my friends and I decided to give it a go in Shanghai as well and were glad we did. We only booked the day before and at first they were full but as there were 6 of us, they managed to arrange a private tour. We met our guide, Hellen and back up guy, David outside a mall across the road from their offices. The bikes were great - comfortable, seat height easily adjusted and a roomy basket on the front. Riding on the Shanghai roads was a bit nerve wracking at times although there are cycle lanes - albeit well used by other cyclists, motorbikes, etc. We rode around the French concession, Xiantiandi, visited the flower and bird market, explored the lovely lanes around Taikang Road which are packed with quaint shops, bars, cafes and restaurants and rode through the antique market. A highlight was visiting a 1930s tenement style compound and being invited in by an old lady to have a look at the home she shared with various other families. Fascinating. The cycling was very easy, Hellen was a great guide, giving us info on the various places we stopped at and David always kept to the rear to make sure no-one got left behind. Highly recommend this fun tour if you want something different to do in Shanghai.

1  Thank MMJM

Reviewed October 20, 2012

At first I did not know what I was up for after booking a private guided tour with CCT but as soon as Stella took me out biking around the French Concession, explaining me how the area developed and going through the Tianzifang artist market for some local artist flavour, I knew I was up for a real treat. The day went on like a dream unfolding in front of me. One neighborhood after another (Xintiandi to the Old Town to the Nanking crossing to the Bund) we cycled across this amazingly organized chaos that is Shanghai on a Sunday, feeling part of the city, not like a tourist but an observer of an ever evolving megalopolis. We stopped many times for quick local treats (spicy crayfish, fresh pomegranate juice, steamed dumplings) and one time even got invited to an old man's house, proud to show us his 8.2 sqm flat in a typical Shangainese compound. It has been a week and I am still under the charm of this beautiful organization that is China Cycle Tour and Stella. This is more than a recommendation, it is an obligation. Best of luck and see you next time.
Benoit

2  Thank Benoit T
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2012

Thank you so much for your great reviews! We are really happy to hear that you had a great time in Shanghai.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was in Shanghai for 2 and a half weeks. My first Sunday I spent on The Shanghai Classic Tour.
My guide Stella was very knowledgeable and new all the crooks and nooks in Shanghai. I was an only participant and Stella was very flexible to my interests. We went to all the major spots as well as little known streets. We went to see the rich areas and the poor areas, the backstreets full of different smells and exotic wares! Stella described for me the cultural way of life of Chinese people, she explained the significance of buildings and temples, of the way Chinese people perceive life and the way it must be balanced. She did all this within the context of the places we visited. It was a incredible ride.

All my friends told me how dangerous it was to ride the streets of Shanghai and that I was crazy. But they were very wrong. My guide was an expert in cruising and I just followed. The lay of the land is very flat and vehicles as well as moped were quite considerate to us. Not once I came close to fearing a collision! It was an easy enjoyable ride.

Stella is also a very good photographer and have now an amazing collection of pictures that she took and send me to share with my family and friends.

I'm going back for business again to Shanghai and hope will ride in the Suzhou area with her again!

3  Thank LourdesLP
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We rented bikes to cycle from Shanghai to Suzhou (via Zhouzhuang) and had no real problems – the bikes were comfortable and well maintained, the service was good. There were only two small irritants and both of these were probably due to a lack of planning on my part as much as anything:
1) There is quite a large cash deposit due. This is understandable, but I hadn’t been expecting it and so we had to go and find an ATM. One is just around the corner, but it would have been easier to come prepared.
2) The office in Suzhou is very far away from the tourist part of town and it is not shown on the website of the maps they provide. I had explained our plans in a few emails prior to the tour and so was a little disappointed that this wasn’t pointed out. The problem was resolved however and the bikes were collected the next morning so no real damage was done but again it would have been better to have known up front.
In all, I would recommend them for bike rentals in the area.

1  Thank BrendanLeG
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Brendan,

Thank you for your comments,and your biking trip looks very interesting.Zhouzhuang is a very nice watertown,hope you enjoyed the trip.

Take care!

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The tour was amazing and saw places in Shanghai that I would have never on my own. The guide was excellent and she was happy to answer any questions. Cycling in Shanghai is not for the faint hearted but after a while do get used to it. Cars are used to cyclists everywhere and although might get honked at they actually seem to be much better around cyclists than drivers in UK. We saw side streets with every type of market, the rich areas, poor areas, artistic areas, etc. It also included a meal which was in a hot pot, would have had no idea what to order or how to eat it but our fantastic guide kept us right. Would really recommend if you like cycling and want so see a different side of the city.

2  Thank JanyneEdinburgh
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Janyne,

Thank you for your kindness feedback,and we are very glad that you enjoyed the tour.

Wish you and your family all the best and look forward to being your host on two wheels again in the near future.