“Shanghai Classic Tour”

Three-Day Private Shanghai to Beijing Tour by Air
$670.00*
2-Day Private Tour of Beijing from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was in Shanghai for 2 and a half weeks. My first Sunday I spent on The Shanghai Classic Tour.
My guide Stella was very knowledgeable and new all the crooks and nooks in Shanghai. I was an only participant and Stella was very flexible to my interests. We went to all the major spots as well as little known streets. We went to see the rich areas and the poor areas, the backstreets full of different smells and exotic wares! Stella described for me the cultural way of life of Chinese people, she explained the significance of buildings and temples, of the way Chinese people perceive life and the way it must be balanced. She did all this within the context of the places we visited. It was a incredible ride.

All my friends told me how dangerous it was to ride the streets of Shanghai and that I was crazy. But they were very wrong. My guide was an expert in cruising and I just followed. The lay of the land is very flat and vehicles as well as moped were quite considerate to us. Not once I came close to fearing a collision! It was an easy enjoyable ride.

Stella is also a very good photographer and have now an amazing collection of pictures that she took and send me to share with my family and friends.

I'm going back for business again to Shanghai and hope will ride in the Suzhou area with her again!

3  Thank LourdesLP

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We rented bikes to cycle from Shanghai to Suzhou (via Zhouzhuang) and had no real problems – the bikes were comfortable and well maintained, the service was good. There were only two small irritants and both of these were probably due to a lack of planning on my part as much as anything:
1) There is quite a large cash deposit due. This is understandable, but I hadn’t been expecting it and so we had to go and find an ATM. One is just around the corner, but it would have been easier to come prepared.
2) The office in Suzhou is very far away from the tourist part of town and it is not shown on the website of the maps they provide. I had explained our plans in a few emails prior to the tour and so was a little disappointed that this wasn’t pointed out. The problem was resolved however and the bikes were collected the next morning so no real damage was done but again it would have been better to have known up front.
In all, I would recommend them for bike rentals in the area.

1  Thank BrendanLeG
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Brendan,

Thank you for your comments,and your biking trip looks very interesting.Zhouzhuang is a very nice watertown,hope you enjoyed the trip.

Take care!

ChinaCycleTours Team

Reviewed September 26, 2012

The tour was amazing and saw places in Shanghai that I would have never on my own. The guide was excellent and she was happy to answer any questions. Cycling in Shanghai is not for the faint hearted but after a while do get used to it. Cars are used to cyclists everywhere and although might get honked at they actually seem to be much better around cyclists than drivers in UK. We saw side streets with every type of market, the rich areas, poor areas, artistic areas, etc. It also included a meal which was in a hot pot, would have had no idea what to order or how to eat it but our fantastic guide kept us right. Would really recommend if you like cycling and want so see a different side of the city.

2  Thank JanyneEdinburgh
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

Dear Janyne,

Thank you for your kindness feedback,and we are very glad that you enjoyed the tour.

Wish you and your family all the best and look forward to being your host on two wheels again in the near future.

ChinaCycleTours Team

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We were only in Shanghai for 2 days, the weekend, and did the SH001 tour of Shanghai with China Cycle - it was definitely the best thing we did. It gives you a taste of what Shanghai is all about without all the tourist traps like the Bund etc. Our guide was a lady called Stella and she was excellent! She had a very good command of English, great sense of humour, and she took us to all the local areas (plus some touristy ones) that we wouldnt have ordinarily seen. Helmets, bike locks and two bottles of water were provided. I would highly recommend it!

I do not agree with "santosdiego"'s previous comment - helmets were always provided to us, it was up to the cyclist as to whether or not we wanted to wear it. Also, simply crossing a road in Shanghai will have provided "santosdiego" with the norms of Shanghai traffic. An induction is not required - just follow the guide in front and it's all good.

1  Thank Steeeee69
ChinaCycleTours, Manager at China Cycle Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you David, we appreciate your comments! Stella felt very happy that you enjoyed the tour! We hope to see you again in Shanghai!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

I only wanted to rent and explore myself. The bike provided by China Cycle was perfect for this purpose. Just what I needed; pumped up tyres, decent brakes, padlock and chain for RMB 80 plus helmet for another RMB 20. Plus map and some water. You need decent ID or a sizeable cash deposit for sensible reasons. I had a great 5 hour ride. The whole experience was good fun. Watch out in Shanghai for no-bike roads or no-bike zones which are there for good reasons.
Enjoy; I did.