“Impressive tour of Old Shanghai”
Review of China Cycle Tours

Three-Day Private Shanghai to Beijing Tour by Air
$670.00*
2-Day Private Tour of Beijing from Shanghai by Air
More attraction details
Owner description: China Cycle Tours is a Shanghai and Suzhou based bicycle tourism company specializing in guided city and countryside biking tours.China Cycle Tours operates carefully chosen cycling routes both in the cities (Shanghai and Suzhou) and in the surrounding mountains and countryside. It also can provide customized tours if the customers are interested in travelling off the beaten path.The people working in China Cycle Tours speak both Mandarin and English, they are well travelled and love to share the passion for cycling with other people. They guide various tours and handle all logistic details from activities, transportation, food and lodging.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I took the Old Shanghai tour. We started at 10a and ended at 1:30. It was private, which was nice as we could tailor what we saw and how much time we spent. It was impressive to see housing from 100 years ago that is still in use today. Our tour guide actually took us into one of the housing buildings which was most impressive. The city has good bike lanes and riding felt safe for adults. I would be cautious to take young children.

My only suggestion to CCT would be for tour guides to have even more history knowledge of Shanghai to explain even more.

2  Thank MPCLDC

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We (family with 2 young children) had a great 2 days cycling experience in Hangzhou!
Cycling is really THE way to see this city, the lake and the tea village Longjing.
Everything was very well arranged and our guide Stella was great!

2  Thank alexandravdl
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We had a fun and interesting tour round the old parts of Shanghai.
Stella, our tour guide was excellent: helpful and flexible.
There was only three of us so she tailored the tour to suit us as we rode along. We stopped for breakfast, cough medicine and then after all the stops just rode the bikes.
She told us all sorts of interesting things about Shanghai and local culture that we didn't know and showed us some fascinating parts of the old city.
We all agreed that biking round Shanghai on this tour was exciting (the traffic!)a great way to get a round (got a cool breeze going on the bike) and informative.
I would definitely do this again. Maybe a different part of the city next time - or night!

1  Thank ALimNZ
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I did the half day bike tour with my visitors and it was FANTASTIC! You really see the city from a different point and you have the chance to discover new spots. Tour guides were really nice and they explained sites and routes before embarking. I recommend this tour for both; Shanghai residents and for your guests. If someone comes to visit you from abroad this is unusual and definitely the best way to discover Shanghai. You will not regret!

3  Thank JJ20101974
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We had a really good half day tour with Stella; she was informative and very well organised. It was a rainy day, but we still went ahead and were provided some ponchos which proved very helpful. She took care that we did not see sites we had already visited (it was our second day and had already seen The Bund). We had a great time and would recommend this.

HOWEVER, some things to be aware of (hence my 3 stars):
- some photos show people with cycling helmets but we were not issued any. In fact I don't think people are, which is no big surprise as general cyclists (and Motorcyclists) do not wear them in Shanghai, but given it is a safety issue, they really should issue them.
- we have been on cycling tours in Sydney, Tokyo, Italy....they all started with a full 10min briefing on safety, keeping together as a group etc. but here, you literally get on the bike and ride off! I would say if you have anyone in the team unaccustomed to cycling (or kids) you ask how this tour "will work", i.e. how to alert the guide if people are trailing behind etc.
- the cycling itself is easy; no hills etc. However you WILL by cycling like a Shanghai local and completely ignoring any traffic rules! We cycled onto oncoming traffic, across junctions, through red lights.....just so you are aware, you WILL need your wits about you as it will be cycling unlike anything you are used to.

If you are brave and savvy, you will really enjoy this. But given you sign a waiver to release the company of any liability should anything happen to you, I think they should take safety a little more seriously.

However that said, I do recommend this. Bring your own helmet though!

(PS. I did state on my feedback form that I believe cycling helmets should be mandatory and issued to all. Would be interested to see if this changes!)

3  Thank santosdiego