“One word: Bad.”

Ranked #751 of 17,401 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: Affordable North Indian cuisine with a touch of magic. Reservations are recommended. Open since 2000 (18 years).
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I wasn't actually there but I ordered takeaway of two items: Tandoori Chicken (half) and Mutton Biryani (rice).

Instead of half a chicken, I got several cubes of boneless breast meat. It's not the size of the portion I am complaining about. It is the fact that instead of cooking a chicken, they cooked pieces of factory-cut chicken breast meat.

In the Biryani, there was probably two or three scrawny pieces of very dried mutton. Another shop I ordered from had about 10 pieces of mutton.

In terms of price per item, they are as expensive as any other Indian restaurant in Shanghai. But they are the least value for money.

2  Thank Grover T

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Good place to have Indian food if you are staying in the Hilton Hua Shan road area. Mutton curry, rice, beer and papad was a nice affordable RMB150. Food is good - seeting a bit tight for seating. Service is fast and good.

I will go back again.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Forget the bad reviews. This place is awesome. Small space, tight steep stairs to get in. However, the food is worth the climb.

We were staying at the Hilton for two weeks and afraid to visit because of the reviews. We finally tried it in week 2 and wished we had gone in week 1.

The owner is quite the host and the food is authentic. Do not miss.

1  Thank regionalcoach
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The biggest advantage with this restaurant is its proximity to the city Center. Right opposite Hilton hotel and in close proximity to other big hotels.

Coming back to food- I have been to this restaurant +10times but I must admit that I have never been pleasantly surprised. Food quality always has been below average and so is the taste. I think the main reason is that this is a Chinese Indian restaurant with Chef being Chinese (perhaps).

I am not setting a high benchmark being an Indian. I have travelled across the world and ate at Indian restaurants (which don't serve perfect Indian food) but these restaurants have been miles better than Kaveeen's.

The restaurant doesn't accept credit card while they accept card for their bar downstairs (again opportunistic).

Unless you don't find a better option in the vicinity (like me)- my recommendation is No for this place. Not really Indian food except name on the menu.

1  Thank RahulTikoo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Well, the many negative reviews by some reviewers seem too very negative. I am not an Indian food expert but I do believe the thousands of Indian meals I had could give this place a little justice. I went to this little restaurant 2 nights in a row recently and my friends and I were not disappointed. First of all, this restaurant boasts North Indian home-made food so perhaps the dishes they prepared are not similar to the ones we all have in other Indian restaurants. I have also tried many authentic North Indian restaurants in Singapore and the food does taste very much different than its southern counterparts which I found to be less heavier in flavor and tastes. We ordered the chicken tikka but it is not the same as the ones we had perhaps we did not mention masala chicken tikka hence the dish was very plain in taste, just to give an example. The manager
recommended a few curry dishes and they all taste very "home made" food. The garlic naan was as good as any others and so were the pappadams. Yes, the place is a little small but it is an old building which gives its charm and there is nothing they could do to make a bigger. The manager is from HK and he is a really nice man - he would recommend dishes and as other reviewers mentioned, played some magic in front of you which was quite amazing. The wines they had were very mediocre so we brought our own wines on the second night which he refused to charge us corkages. Honestly, I would not say the food they served were the tastiest but as mentioned, perhaps it is their hone-made cooking which led people to think otherwise. All in all, I would say it is not a bad place if you want a cozy dinner with close friends and at the same time, adore the old building and have an amicable chat with their manager which I felt made this place special. My conclusion is the food did not disappoint. For 4 people with a price tag of just under RMB 400 ( yes, we did not order too much food), one could not really complain.

1  Thank JimmyinChina