“Great view from Pudong side”

Dining Room at Park Hyatt Shanghai
Ranked #248 of 16,906 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Lujiazui
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Great view from Pudong side”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

When we entered the Park Hyatt hotel from the ground floor, the place was dark and mysterious, with lovely pieces of contemporaty art pieces here & there. Once up to the restaurant, the views were simply stunning. Fortunately the skies were clear and we could see into the extensive developments of Pudong, but the real highlight was over the river towards The Bund. Also has a stunning close view of the Jinmao building and the latest tall building under construction next door. Ordered from the set lunch menu, and the food was okay, slightly above average in quality and taste and not terribly expensive. The dim sum set consisted of good variety of items to try, the baby abalone set was delightful and the salmon set had a creamy delicous mashed potato side dish. I personally really enjoyed visiting the bathroom very much - do try the electronic gadgets for a uniquely different and high tech soothing experience (perhaps a little known secret when visiting this restaurant!)

• Chinese (Traditional) first
JHP_Zuidervliet
“Very disappionting”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've been here once before exact same place and almost the same seats and previously it was a great experience. This time it was a very different story.

To begin we had a reservation for 6 people, we asked for a table next to the window but at arrival they positioned us in the back against a wall so you have pretty much no view. I would understand it if it was busy but at arrival (and throughout the whole ordeal) there were not more then 2 other tables taken. After talking with the manager they did manage to change the table albeit instead of using 3 tables they used 2 so we had to sit a bit crowded.

Then the food itself, last time it was a la carte, this time this was not possible and only a brunch-set available. Again, if it was busy, I could understand but it was empty. The brunch menu was alright but for a park hyatt not to exciting.

The food itself was quite lengthy with different flavors and a variety of tastes. In general not bad but still in general not great either. For drinks (again on the brunch menu) was a large set of drinks but nothing to great (great orange juice though). Compared to the a la carte it was as previously mentioned just a big disappointment and my friends were more then unhappy about it. What bothered most is that while European/French food can take some time for a bunch of small bites it took more then 2 hours, small refills took quite some time except for the bill they were very fast. We ended up paying 500 Rmb pp for a mediocre lengthy lunch.

To top it off when we departed there were no taxi's available and we had to wait. Not coming back here.

Hong Kong, China
“91st floor restaurant - an embarassing affair”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Staying at the park hyatt this was the obvious choice for a dinner with our client. I was running late so I told the restaurant to place our client at the bar first, when I arrived the client was sitting at the table already. We did not get any server come by our table - even when motioning to them - for more than 15 Minutes, so I went to the reception to give them our drink orders. The starter soup was mediocre but arrived. We ordered 3 steaks - these are supposedly freshly made on the grill - these did not arrive for 45 minutes after the starter and asking twice. When they did arrive, non were cooked as requested - the medium rare was well done and the medium ones were medium on one side. The sauce ordered was not delivered and since there was again no waiter in sight I had to go to the kitchen (its a open kitchen) to get the black pepper sauce myself - this came from a big pot like in a self service restaurant and tasted like it too. I then saw why the steaks go wrong and come out all greasy (I had to change my plate, it was so disgusting) - they lie pre-grilled on a tray the whole evening and then some uninterested guy just puts them shortly on the grill and warms them up. In one of the top hotels restaurants in Shanghai, not freshly grilled? We had all ordered side dishes as when we ordered the waiter said it is a plain steak with no sides - we asked twice to make sure. The plates of course arrived with vegetables on them... Could have not ordered the sides and been fine, as the ones we ordered matched what was on the plate already. The restaurant manager just walks around with a face like '7 days of bad weather' - as do the staff as well (he looks the same at breakfast, which is also a disaster there). Our client said he has not had such bad service and food in years and was embarrassed since he is from Shanghai for the local service and food. Luckily we were able to cheer up his mood in the bar on 92 - which on the contrary has amazing staff and a great atmosphere. A shot of Jaegermeister also managed me to get rid of the greasy steak feeling lingering in my stomach...

1 Thank TCDHK
australia
“disappointing experience”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We decided to have afternoon tea at this Hotel 2 weekends ago, so we rang to see if we could book the table before we arrived, but were told that we could not, as they do not accept reservations. We arrived at 3pm and went up to the Living room on the 87th floor, and was told that they were full and were not sure when a table would be available.

They directed us to level 91 and they would be serving afternoon tea, so we rook the lift up, and found that it was a Chinese restaurant that was serving a type of Dim Sim and not the western afternoon tea we were expecting, the waitress suggested that we take afternoon tea at the bar area next to the Living room,, so we head back down to check if this was ok, and sure enough it was ok to do this.

I found it strange when we approached the bar that the door was shut, and when she opened it and we stepped inside, the only way I could describe the scene is those rooms that you see at the airport which are designated for smokers, and incredible as it seems, when my eyes adjusted to the haze, people were actualy having afternoon tea in the same room, since the smoking ban this is the first time I have seen smoking to this degree in a bar.appalling!!

The hostess saw that we were not impressed by the smoke, took us out of the room and suddenly found us a table in the Living room, she took us to the table and warned us that we had to spend 120 rmb each, we said ok as we were here for the set afternoon tea.
The waitress arrived and we placed the order for the 2 set afternoon teas, and then told us that they had sold out of the afternoon teas, there was nothing more available, accept for some desserts on the menu, what!!!!!! it is only quarter to 4 is she kidding .

We were so disappointed, that the afternoon tea should end so early, and the weekend must be busy for them that they would cater for this fact, and people were eating in a room thick with smoke, not something you would expect from a world class hotel.

1 Thank soaper28
Bath, United Kingdom
“Ladies night in the 92nd floor bar in Park Hyatt”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Me and a group of people joined Park Hyatt's ladies night yesterday, the bar was great designed and music was awesome, we had fantastic time.

However, I would like to mention the down side about the whole experience, in short words- lack of customer service sense.

As it was first time for most of us to meet each other and apparently people arrive at different time. I called the bar and tried to book a table then I was told we need to spend minimum 4000RMB to secure one table, we then decided not to do so. As an organizer of the event, I arrived the bar and mentioned the situation with a western staff, he then suggested me to find an area and let the lady outside of the bar door know my name and where we are, so they will be able to send people through. Yes, he sent me over to another staff which was fine, I then went to talk to the lady outside the bar, there were 3 staff by the table outside the bar door. I repeat everything again to the first female Chinese staff I saw then she interrupted me and pointed at another female Chinese staff, said "talk it to my manger"- who I assumed she is the bar manger. So basically after the 3rd time repeat everything, the young lady or the bar manger told me to reserve a proper table in this case. Obviously we don’t want to do that as we are happy to sit by those random tables that don’t cost us 4000 RMB. I told her I was suggested to do so by her colleague, and asked if she is happy to do this favor for us - Bring people to our place. Finally I showed her where we are, but the fact was I had to pick up everyone from the bar door through the whole night as people complained the staff don’t know where we were?!!

Also, two American gentlemen in our group went to the ATM downstairs to get some cash, and the staff by door tried to make them make a line again, they had already paid for the entry fee when they first came in. My friends had to leave as they didn’t think it's fair to do so. That is just ridiculous!! You can’t charge people many times only because you are unable to recognize if they paid or not. If you are lack of tools to recognize it's your problem. Why don’t you get customers stamped or give some tags when they come in, or you can give people the receipt when you charge them?!!?

Over all, it is a great place with not decent staff; we can't feel they are friendly, helpful or even efficient. It's one of the best hotels in Shanghai ad you really could do much better than that!

Thanks