“Nice location, So so service”
Review of Pei Mansion Hotel

Pei Mansion Hotel
Ranked #516 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were attracted by the historical significance and the location of the hotel, we stayed there for two nights, and we were somewhat disappointed. Taking a closer look, the hotel and the room needs maintenance. The breakfast is very average by any standard (both asian foods and the western foods), we have to have another breakfast in the nearby restaurant on the second day. If the hotel is in the bed and breakfast category, then it lacks a common room to sit and chat, if it is a hotel, it lacks the quality service. I would not plan to stay here again if I am in the area, will look for other choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank K F
Selina W, Manager at Pei Mansion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thanks for your reviews, and we really want you to come back to see more about our hotel . Please give us a chance to offer more service to you . Hope to see you again in Pei Mansion.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Off Nanjing West Road, just a few hundred meters from Shanghai's main shopping artery, is this small hotel, located in the building that IM Pei's family lived in. The garden and the outside of the hotel already takes visitors back in time, but the interior is even more lovely and a throw back to the early 20th century. The room I stayed in was not too big, but sufficient. The bathroom was very spacious by Chinese standards and well appointed. I have not eaten at the hotel, so I can't comment on the food, and I only had cursory contact with the staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for your genuine review. And we look forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Stay here for 3 nites. The mansion is so lovely & elegently decorated making the whole place so comfortable and homely. Staff are very friendly and helpful - no problem understanding me. I love the chinese brekkie - sufficient & tasty. My room is a non-smoking room but one the second nite i can smell the cigarette smell in my room - i guess must be from the ventilation? A little hiccup on the TV reception on the 3rd nite but the hotel has it fix the next day. A little advice for those who do not enjoy walking - the nearest subway station is about 10-15mins walk and it is not easy to get a cab from the hotel (but u can always ask the hotel to call for u) Overall I enjoy the stay and will return for my next holidays in SH

Room Tip: My room no is 4005 near to the lift, I love the jacuzzi in my room - a nice dip after a day of walki...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Holding the deep valley , living in the center of the city. Classical mingled with modern, elegance together with luxury. The Pei Mansion which is first built in 1934 bring you into a dream place mixing the history and reality. So good to see you love the deco, it is the strong supporting to us . And sorry about the cigarette smell in the room, we will improve it .

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Pei Mansion is a very charming art deco building in a very strategic location, right off Nanjing Lu. The place is beautiful, it has a nice little garden, the rooms are nice and charming....but the service is not at all a 5 star service!
First of all, the staff english is very poor (unacceptable in a 5 star hotel). The first night I asked for a pillow and the receptionist had to come to my room to see what is a pillow.
The first day they forgot to tell us that the breakfast room was unavailable, so we had breakfast in the garden, which was very pleasant. The breakfast was basic, we asked for some bread and jam and a fruit salad and it was ok...nothing amazing but I guess this is what we asked for.
The second day we had breakfast in the breakfast room. To get to this room, we passed on a corridor where we found a huge basket of laundry...and kitchen doors which were left open. Not something a 5 star hotel would like to show you.
The breakfast was also quite mediocre, and served in a room with a waiter who just kept on sniffling loudly while he was serving the breakfast tables. And the way he did put the table, was again not a 5 star hotel...rather a 3 star. He forgot the spoon, he just threw the little jams on our table without a plate, it was just not nice.
Due to this, on the last day of our stay we decided to have breakfast in the room. In this case, they just did everything wrong! Brought breakfast just for one. Then they forgot the bread. Then they forgot the jam/marmalade...since we first got our breakfast we had to wait 20more minutes to get everything settled....
It is too bad that such a nice and pleasant location is managed in such a careless way: the experience is definitely NOT a 5 star hotel. However, if you just need a very nice place to stay in Shanghai and the location is ok for you and you find a nice low rate I guess it is an interesting experience and a beautiful venue. Just be sure you manage your expectations!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CaterinaCam

Dear Guest:
We are sorry that our breakfast bring you lots of inconvenience. Since the middle of this year, we had lots of changes of hotel. Not only breakfast but also the staffs` English. Thanks for your review, it is help us a lot. We really want you to come back again ,see a new Pei Mansion.

Assist General Manager: Selina

Reviewed March 7, 2012

During my trip to Shanghai last November, I purposely booked at different hotels, two to three nights per property, to experience different Shanghai accommodations. And while I knew it was a bit of a hassle to have to check-out and check-in again in another location, I didn't really mind the extra effort.

One of the hotels I booked at is Pei Mansion Hotel. Reading the reviews at TripAdvisor and checking out their website, I thought that this old mansion, formerly owned by the family of I.M. Pei, was very quaint. Arriving at the property, I felt that I had made the right choice. It's location is just a stone's throw away from West Nanjing Road. Very accessible and centrally located. Like in the photos on their website, the hotel looked promising. Its architecture and interior design were very charming. Then when we were brought to our room, it was tiny. I'm thinking it was less than 20 square meters. The room was just a little bigger than the bed. The windows were sealed and had no view. The bathroom was okay in size as it had a whirlpool tub for two, a separate shower enclosure, and one of those Japanese style water closet with heated toilet seat and a bidet. The amenities were from L'Occitane, so that's good.

Now, the problems... on our first night, the air conditioner was not cooling down the room. Even though it was already November then and the weather was cool, the room was uncomfortably warm. We had a hard rime sleeping. We had to ask them the following morning to have it fixed. The breakfast, we tried both the Chinese and Western breakfast on different days and both were forgettable. The dishes were cold and bland, and was served inside our tiny bedroom. They claim they don't have a breakfast room. The staff weren't really friendly. They do not really greet or say hello. They didn't even say goodbye when we checked out. And on several occasions when we were coming or going, a group of staff would hang out by the corridor near our room to smoke. I believe that these problems are attributed to the lack of training of both the staff and management. Despite the tiny room that was given to us, I believe that we still could have had a good experience if the staff were friendlier and more service oriented. This hotel needs to improve on management skills and service training.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kilroywashere74

Dear Guest:

Thanks for your review, and as your review, I knew that you are really a nice people and understanding us very much. Since this year, we changed a lot. Not only service ,but also breakfast style. Now we have a nice breakfast ,and all our staffs are friendly . I really want you to come back ,give us a chance to see a new hotel.

Best Regards

Selina

Assist General manager

Reviewed December 29, 2011

We toured China for one month and we chose this hotel and paid a premium. We could not wait to check in as we had just spent 48 hours on a train from Lhasa, Tibet and were ready for a bit of luxury. The hotel certainly has the feel of a converted mansion with narrow corridors and one small elevator.

The room was absolutely sumptuous with antique Chinese style furniture. It was fairly large with a king size bed, an armoire and a heavy, oversized writing desk. The bathroom was equally luxurious with a large, glass enclosed shower and jacuzzi. The toilet was very modern although I could never figure out what the various buttons were for. One major problem with the hotel was the water supply. The shower water smelled so bad one shower was all I could muster and that was with my mouth closed tightly. Even my husband with his impaired sense of smell agreed.

The included breakfast was also not very good. It was served in the room on a tray with choices made by the hotel. The tray was always covered with spilled coffee and much of the food we did not eat. It seemed very wasteful.

The service in the hotel was nonexistent. There was a group of local Chinese bureaucrats coming in for a meeting and this was the entire focus of the staff of the hotel. In addition, every day, just around the corner from our room on the way to the elevator, there was a bin of dirty linens. This place has an incredibly beautiful facility without any management that knows how to run a luxury hotel.

If you are coming to Shanghai, stay on the Bund, in a room with a great view of the water. I wish I had.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NJLovestoTravel
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We used TA for booking this hotel and were not sure what to expect as there were some mixed reviews. Overall, it was a satisfactory stay for us, but of all the hotels we stayed at in a one month stay in South East Asia, it would rank near the bottom. Here are both the pros and cons as we saw them.

Yes, the hotel is a lovely old mansion with beautiful architecture. The rooms, while small, have beautiful, lush carpet and lovely period furniture. The sleeping room was tight, with little in the way of space to store clothes (almost none) and little in the way of space to put things. The best feature of the room was the large bathroom, which had a nice shower and a full size jacuzzi tub (an excellent feature save for the jacuzzi jets did not work). The bed was comfortable and the linens were nice.

The hotel is well located, a short distance (500m) from a metro stop on the excellent and cheap Shanghai metro that we used every day. It is down a quiet street and there are lots of restaurants and bars nearby. It has lovely gardens out front (but no where to sit to enjoy them) and is quiet once you are inside the walls.

So, that is the good, here is what we didnt like. Breakfast is served only in the room, even though they have plenty of dining facilities. Normally, room service would be nice but the room was so small that you essentially have to eat on your bed. That would be tolerable if the breakfast were great, but it was awful, the worst we had in a month of breakfasts included with hotels in Asia. We tried both the Chinese and English style breakfasts and they were terrible. First we started with the Chinese breakfast and were happy to see it included won ton soup. But the soup was bland, with only a few wontons, no greens and it was complelely cold. It was inedible. Also served was a terrible tasting juice, cold coffee and they forgot cream and sugar. The next day we opted for the english breakfast hoping that that might be better, and again we got cold coffee, dry toast and uncooked bacon and sausage. It was so uncooked that it was not edible. We are not fussy eaters - we eat street food with locals when we travel, and are game to try anything. This was simply bland food served cold two days in a row. The last morning we mentioned, politely, these things and especially asked that they please try and cood the bacon and sausages. Same result, uncooked food served cold. We gave up and went out for wonton and dumplings on the street.

The other complaint I would have was actually mentioned by several other reviews. And that is that they do not seem interested in their guests. Each day we were there, there was some important function going on - one day it took up the whole lobby and it was awkward coming in and out of the hotel as you felt you were intruding and in the way. There were tons of staff running around and catering to all of the attendees at these functions (who could not have been guests as the hotel is very small and there were so many there) and again it seemed we were in the way. I have no problem if their business model is to cater to local businessmen for business events that are more important to them then travellers and tourists, but if that is the case, then don't take in travellers and tourists. Otherwise, accomodate them and make them feel welcome. We never felt like the staff were there to provide services, and the few times we asked for information we got little in the way of assistance.

Another small point. We arrived early in Shanghai (6:00am) and I called about an early check in since we travelled over night. They accomodated us but only after we agreed to pay a half day room rate (and were politely told that that did not include breakfast that day - we didn't realize that that was actually a blessing). Over the course of our month in Asia (which included Vietnam, Laos and Camboida), we often had early check ins and late check outs, and were never charged and were always accomodated. Yes, the hotel did allow us a later check out (1:30om) for free, which we appreciated, but if the room had been available when we checked in, they could have offered it up for free. This compared to a hotel we stayed at in Hue, Vietnam which gave us a free room upgrade for three nights, and one in Hanoi that offered a free room upgrade for one night.

Lastly, and this to me was inexcusable, the hotel does not have any public computers to use in the lobby or elsewhere. We were travelling only with an iPhone (to keep our luggage size down) and had been using hotel computers everywhere to check flights, do research on what to do in the town, make reservations etc. They did offer us a laptop for one hour to use in the room (they wanted to charge $30 to use longer than an hour!) so we tried that, but it was old, would not load properly and was essentially unusable. We asked about an internet cafe - an annoyance to have to go to every time we wanted to go online - but they could not tell us where to find one. Come on Pei Mansion! Buy a couple of computers and put them in the lobby for your guests. It is inexcusable in this day and age, and at the price charged for the rooms, not to have computers available.

This could be a very, very nice hotel. It is a beautiful building and money has been spent on furnishings, but as one earlier reviewer noted, they havent seem to have figured out that they are running a hotel`and that service matters. Nice furniture and architecture does not make a nice hotel. It is only a start. As it stands now, we would not go back to this hotel and would not recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple