“Regret coming here”

Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Singapore, Singapore
“Regret coming here”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

The next time I decided to dine overseas, I will consider checking out the reviews in Tripadvisor first. The reviews that are mentioning on the slow and bad service provided by Tai Thai, is absolutely true. There were a lot of waiter and waitresses, yet they just hang around and fiddle with their handphones, while there are tables that are being left unclean. In addition, i also agree with those saying that food is so-so. Ordered beef curry and the beef is tough, had lots of fat. Apparently they are using the cheapest side of the cow, which are usually only used to make broth. Then we also ordered the chicken,which is very oily. Tom yum seafood that we had is super weak. In addition, the price here isn't cheap either for Shanghai's standard, we spent 600rmb for 3 person. the only plus side is probably the venue, which is chic-ly Chiangmai style. Yet again, what's the point of having nice venue if it is unclean.

• Visited April 2012

Shanghai, China
“Delicious Thai food, lost service”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Tai Thai's food is delicious.

Curries are absolutely wonderful and there's not much to say about it, it's a great Thai dishes tasting experience, try many things!

Unfortunately, the service is spotty and random, but most of the time: it's nice but slow and inefficient. No way to get drinks and dishes at the same time, I wonder what's going on in the kitchen and at the bar !

• Visited August 2011
Shanghai, China
“Nice Venue, but the food is mediocre”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

First impressions are not enough for Tai Thai in Tianzifang. You’d almost miss it, if you walked by. But don’t look now, you’ll only notice a small Thai themed bar. The bar is probably not enough to get pique your interest.

Perhaps it was by chance that I was able to try Tai Thai. We were looking for a place to eat, and the Tai Thai’s bar looked like a decent place to grub. But once entered, they convinced us to have a table in the upstairs dining area. I didn’t expect much, based on the smallish bar. But through the creaky narrow stairs, which didn’t impress me either, we entered a spacious and inviting dinning room. With the vaulted ceilings, warming lighting, and intimate floor seating, Tai Thai could present a nice romantic experience. The floor seating was on one side of the room, which offered a more traditional experience – not necessarily something I would pick. There was even a nice small outdoor patio, for those rare temperate evenings.

We started off with the traditional Pad Thai noodles. Presented in a thin egg skin, the noodles looked appetizing. The thin egg skin was a nice touch that I had never seen in Los Angeles. For most Thai restaurants, this is basic item that you shouldn’t mess up or ignore, since Pad Thai noodles are the probably the most famous of all Thai dishes. Yet, there was disappointment with this dish. The texture and flavors just didn’t seem to be right. . . .

Check out pictures and more http://bit.ly/fW3l96

Shanghai, China
“Do not ear Here!!! This Restaurant will Steal your CREDIT CARD!!!”
Reviewed July 30, 2009

DO NOT EAT HERE!!! THIS RESTAURANT WILL STEAL YOUR CREDIT CARD!!!!! My friend and I ate here a few weekends ago and had a terrible experience! The lunch could have been good, but it quickly took a turn for the worst. First of all we were only convinced to eat lunch here by a lady advertising for the restaurant who told us that if we ate there now we would get 50% off of our lunch. We thought this was a good deal, so agreed to go to the restaurant. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and it was fun to sit on the tatami mats. They even brought us a complimentary sample of dragonfruit juice, which was very nice. We both ordered the Pad Thai and were excited since it was my friends first time trying Thai food.

When one of the Pad Thais arrived, we noticed that there was meat in it, which was surprising since this was not indicated on the menu like it was for all of the other meat-containing dishes. Since my friend is a vegetarian, we asked if it would be possible for them to bring the second Pad Thai out without meat. The waiter told us that it was too late and that the chef had already made the other Pad Thai. We told him that she was a vegetarian and if it would be possible to exchange the food. He went to check and came back telling us we should have told him that she was a vegetarian before ordering and that there was nothing we could do. I feel like normally the restaurant is supposed to cater to their customers and accommodate their needs, so we asked to speak to the manager and after a hassle and making us feel like snobs my friend finally got a meat-free pasta dish that wasn’t quite Pad Thai and has us questioning if the waiters spat in the food to spite us.

After a somewhat nerve-racking lunch of mediocre Pad Thai, we asked for the check. We were surprised when the total did not have the 50% discount that we were promised (and was the reason we ate there). When we asked our waiter about this he pointed to the time he placed the order in the computer that said 2:08 and then told us the lunch special ended at 2:00. We explained to him that we had sat down and made up our minds for what we wanted to order before 2:00 and that it shouldn’t be our fault that it took him 8 minutes to bring the dragonfruit juice (nice, but not necessary) and stall before taking our order. He said that there was nothing he could do so then we asked to speak to the manager (again).

This is where things got really bad. The manager argued with us saying that he couldn’t take off 50% and that it wasn’t his fault that we took 8 minutes to order and that there was no way the waiter could take 8 minutes to place an order. We told him that we weren’t going to pay the full amount since we were promised 50% off and then he told us that he was disappointed in us and looked like he was going to succumb, but then he got the idea to threaten us with calling the police! The police!! This was ridiculous!!! Since my friend and I don’t know any Chinese and didn’t know if he was actually calling the police or not, I decided to pay with a credit card (American Express). I gave him mine and watched the waiter swipe it in front of me. My friend and I left angry, confused, and frustrated.

The next day I got a phone call from American Express asking if I had recently traveled from Shanghai to Chicago where a lot of purchases were being made after charging a meal in Shanghai for the same price as the lunch at Tai Thai. I told them no, I was still in Shanghai, and then they told me that it was necessary to cancel the credit card since it was being used by someone on Chicago (I don’t know anyone in Chicago or who is visiting there now). So Tai Thai stole my credit card! And they were going to call the police on us – they’re paying customers?!?! I should be calling the police on them!!! In conclusion: DO NOT EAT HERE!!!