“Over the top”

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #52 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I cannot tell you how much we loved this hotel. It was a perfect ending to our China trip and we chose well.

The lobby is beautiful, the room and bathroom luxurious, and the included breakfast buffet was inspiring. The fruit and fruit plates were kept in a cooler display case along with various cheeses. The display of food options was both incredible and everything was good! The egg station chef was a delight and spoke excellent English and it was like having our own personal chef.

Location was perfect; everything was perfect.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank AlaskaMomofTwo
grandcentralhotelsha, qc at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you very much for your nice comments that will be shared with the team. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The hotel was terrific. It boasted a gorgeous lobby, a spacious and luxurious room and incredibly central location. Once we turned in, we found our room was nice and quiet - a great escape from the heat and hustle bustle of the streets outside. We highly recommend a stay here.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kurt H
grandcentralhotelsha, qc at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

This hotel is in the centre of Shanghai. Very nice, great room, clean and spacious. I got a good deal by booking online for two nights, otherwise it may be too pricey. The rate did not include breakfast but if you just step outside you have plenty of food options, so not much of a problem. Great location, at night you can just walk down East Nanjing Rd and snap some pictures of Shanghai famous skyline. Close by a subway station of line 2, which takes you to both the train station or Pudong airport (though for this last destination the trip is quite long ~1hour). I would definitely return if in Shanghai again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank cassowaryCA

Reviewed March 22, 2014

Bedroom large and well appointed with a desk, bathroom had double sinks, separate shower, separate toilet, slippers supplied and turn down nightly with a chocolate and the weather forecast. Although we faced Jiujiang Road our room on the ninth floor was quite despite the fact that nearly every car toots their horn. Wifi free but very slow. The buffet average get there early when they first put it out. Concierge very helpful and when requested would write down on the hotel card in Chinese the address of where we wanted to go to give to the taxi drivers who do not speak English. Taxis are cheap.

Nanjing Road pedestrian shopping mall only a street away and it is only a 10 minute walk to the Bund.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very pleased that the hotel met with your expectations. In particular. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Central Hotel Shanghai in the near future.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Upon Check-In, I was offered to upgrade for a very nominal price at a special scheme which I took for an Executive room. It offered complimentary drinks at a separate lounge along with meals.
Beautiful hotel with nice interiors. Very good service at concierge.
Location is excellent. very nice and beautiful hotel with good service.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Vaby
grandcentralhotelsha, QC at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Relaxing with my family after a business trip and decided to move location centrally. The hotel is nice and clean and very accommodating. Rooms are beautiful and spacious. Did not manage to use the amenities of the pool as we were busy sightseeing. Centrally located which is good for shopping at the Nanjing East road. If you like big hotels this is one that fits the bill and certainly fairly reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sal I

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My experiences here were similar to those at the D Cube Sheraton in Seoul, described in a separate review here on tripadvisor: I got to stay in a beautiful room, but am too practical a traveler to be well-suited for the luxuries to be found here.

First, please pause for a look at my shots of the room. Another reviewer described the Grand Central Shanghai as offering five star amenities for a two star price. I couldn't put it better myself ... and was admitted for such a low nightly charge during my off-season trip that I feel obligated to give a top rating here, even though the room didn't especially suit me. Look at those bathroom fixtures! I couldn't help feeling like a visiting diplomat, as loathe as I may be to develop a taste for pricey luxuries.

Here's the trouble: maybe my charge per night was low, but this hotel still caters to high end travelers, just like the Sheraton D Cube. They don't have in house laundry machines; you have to pay through the nose for someone else to do it. (Or smell a bit ripe when you leave, as I did!) The buffet looked fabulous, but was much too expensive for me. And, like the Sheraton D Cube, the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai stocked upsell items in the fridge and cabinet. They're geared toward the well-heeled.

East Nanjing Road is colorful and lively, but also noisy; I suggest asking about your room's proximity to it when you sign in. The East Nanjing Road subway station is a couple of blocks away, but the subway line that connects to Pudong International Airport gets terribly crowded. I managed the ride in late rush hour with a rollaboard, but wouldn't try it with two suitcases.

Staff were scrupulously polite.

I'd be happier with practical lodging like the Citadines I found in Tokyo, which offers a low cost, stock-up-on-the-calories morning buffet and a laundromat. Still, even a cheapskate like me had to appreciate that knock-out room.

Room Tip: I suggest that you ask about your room's proximity to East Nanjing Road. Drivers here honk lust...