“Excellent location. Excellent service.”

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #56 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed November 30, 2013

This hotel is very new and so everything is very nice (see my photo). I love the hotel’s superb location since it is close to Nanjing East shopping street. From the hotel, I can walk to the Bund (a riverfront boulevard – another tourist attraction) via Nanjing road. I can also catch the city sightseeing bus just around the corner of Nanjing East Rd. I stayed here for 4 nights and found that I can reach just about any interesting places in Shanghai from this hotel easily. My room is on the 12th floor and I can still hear the honking sound from streets all night so I would recommend choosing the floor as high as possible. I am especially impressed with the service from the doormen and the concierge. Without these guys, I wouldn't be able to communicate with the taxi driver at all. They are very attentive and very kind I can tell… because they would write something (in Chinese) down in a piece of paper and tell me to carry it with me all the time just so that in case I get lost, I would be able to find my way back to the hotel. Excellent service indeed.

Room Tip: Higher floor will offer a better view and a quieter atmosphere
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. It is always a great pleasure to receive the nice comment such as yours. Our location is indeed most accessible and convenient to places of interest, dining and entertainment. We hope to look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Stayed here for two nights excellent hotel great value for money rooms large and beds so comfortable what more can I say its all good. We had a high floor room which was great we used the pool and that was great had drinks in the bar I have nothing but praise for the hotel also try Harry's Bar round the corner.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a room with two queen beds which was great value.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are extremely delighted that you found it was all good in our hotel, and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We hope to look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. The room was a great size with a large bathroom, 2 sinks and separate bathtub. It was clean and we felt safe here. Good views of Shanghai from our room.
The staff were good, however, on arrival after a long day traveling the young man at the checkin desk was trying to get us to upgrade our room to one just under twice as much as the one we had selected. Not only was it bigger but it included breakfast. He spoke very quickly and it was difficult to understand him. I found this with many of the staff. We had requested one double bed however they put us into a twin double room without telling us and unfortunately when we asked, there were no rooms available with only one double bed. Our room did not include breakfast, this is not a problem, there are many western and chinese cafes within 5 minutes walking distance that serve great breakfast and half the cost of the hotels breakfast dining area. Lastly, we arrived at the train station and requested pick up as we had heard (rightly it turns out) taxis were unreliable. They said they would not be able to provide collection even if we paid for it as this was not a service they provided. Once in our room there was a pamphlet offering airport and charted car hire with driver available, just ask at reception. This was frustrating to say the least.

Room Tip: A standard room is very good. Enough room to easily open two big suitcases and still be able to walk...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and nice comments on our room facilities and room views. Thank you too, for bringing your check-in experience to our attention. We will bring the feedback to the concerned department head immediately and will take action. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Strategically located, this hotel deserves an applause for its service. The staff (some very limited English) will try their best to provide a good service. They will help hail a cab and inform the taxi driver in mandarin where you headed to. We didn't have any complains except for bed bugs on the extra bed. For a 5 star hotel, that was a shame! Otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, and for your nice comments on our hotel service. We apologize for bed bugs on the extra bed. Thank you for bringing it to our attention and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Very nice, very modern hotel. There was always people on the main floor, no matter what time of day it was. The rooms were very clean with a large bathroom with full size tub, large showerhead and separate door to the toilet. Nice full size desk, great LCD TV with about 4 good English speaking channels. One nice thing I really liked was the dressers next to the bed with night lights underneath. This was great for making those "wake up in the middle of the night" bathroom runs. Overall, the room was very comfortable with a very nice bed.

The Hotel is at a great spot. There are lots of things to see and do around the area. Nanjing road is basically 50 feet in front of the hotel. If you look like a tourist, expect to get asked every minute once you are on Nanjing road if you want to buy a watch, purse or massage. They are really not that aggressive and a simple no normally does it. If worse comes to worse, just head in the direction of a uniformed police officer and they normally scatter away. The subway station is right down the street and very easy to get to for extended exploring.

I always felt very safe there, as you need your keycard to gain access to any of the room floors. This was nice as you never felt like you were in an "open" hotel.

The hotel has a very large, beautiful pool. The main lobby is very welcoming and has a nice drink area as well as meal area. Watch what you drink as the prices for coffee's and other drinks are quite high. (two orange juices and two hot chocolates = $35USD).

The breakfast was my biggest issue. We walked into the breakfast buffet area and just sort of stood there waiting for someone to acknowledge us, nope.. nothing.. so we basically just sat down and waited for someone to ask what we wanted.. nope.. nothing again.. we had to flag down our waitress... so.. we go get our food. The Chinese food was okay.. it was the western food that was a total letdown. My elementary school days came back into my mind. Yes.. it was that bad! The food was bland or hard.. some of it was both. I figured I was there.. might as well make the best of it. The entire time we were there (approx. 45 minutes) not a single person came up to us or asked how was the food, or if we needed anything... nope.. even when we wanted to get the check, we had to flag our waitress down. For this great experience it cost me almost $47 USD for two people. I was not happy. There is a KFC right in front of the hotel (just walk across the road and through the alley right in front of you). Yes they also serve breakfast (just point at the pictures of what you want). Do your stomach and your wallet a favor... eat someone else.. there are much better places to eat very close by.

I was reading some other reviewers complaints about the "free" water vs the Premium water. I attached a picture of both to my review on this. This is a non-issue. I am unable to see how people don't see that you will pay 70RMB ($11 USD) for this Evian water. There are distinct signs on both. That brings me to the other great thing I love... 3 free bottles of bottled water in the room each day. Very nice! Just make sure to stash the extras you don't drink each day and you will never run out of bottled water. The other thing I loved was the turndown service. You got a nice chocolate on your bed and a little card telling you each night what the weather was going to be like the next day(see attached photo). Again.. another nice touch.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone. It is definitely one of the best hotels I have stayed at in Shanghai. I will return to Shanghai in a few months and will stay here again. This time without the aggravation of the evil western breakfast. :(

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George_94304
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent stay and nice comments on our hotel location and hotel facilities. Thank you too, for bringing your breakfast experience to our attention. We will bring the feedback to the concerned department head immediately and will take action. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We decided to go to Shanghai 2 days before our cruise tour and booked the Grand Central through Orbitz. The price we got was so low, we were sure something must be wrong. Before leaving USA, I emailed hotel and they confirmed booking. Upon checking in, all went smooth, and we weren't even offered an upsell to a better room as others have indicated.

Our rooms did not offer great views, but they were large with a huge bathroom, plenty of lights and lots of outlets were available. They had a hot water kettle with tea and french press in room, as well as turn down service with chocolate on the pillows. Hotel provided lots of amenities, like free bottled water, toothbrushes, shaving kit, shower cap, etc. Could not believe we were getting this for under $150 per night. We did not get breakfast included and did not pony up the $29 USD per person to try it.

Hotel was convenient to all the city sights we wanted to see, as well as a short couple of blocks to the pedestrian mall that had stores, food and local vendors. There were also a lot of people doing Tai Chi and other exercise each morning. Local vendors sold breakfast nearby for $1-2 USD each item, not to mention a McDonalds for those not adventurous for local food.

It was an amazingly good stay in the center of Shanghai. We'd easily stay here again if we come back to Shanghai.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

Arrived a little early and was talked into an upgraded room at extra cost ( receptionist doing her job). Beautiful room on streetside so with view. However, cold all night as heating not working. Changed to standard room for next night which other than no view was as good and warm.
Massive indoor pool. Spa/sauna facilities good.
Central location and handy for Bund.

Room Tip: Front has view but can be noisy. Rear view of buildings opposite but quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai. We appreciate your high esteem of hotel rooms and location. We hope to serve you again on your next trip to Shanghai.