“A Truly Five-starred Gem!”

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #51 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I took the subway to the hotel, which was two blocks away from the Metro station, and as soon as I got to the front door I was quickly and graciously greeted by the bellman, as though I had arrived in a limousine. He whisked away my bags and said that they would be awaiting me in my room, Madam. My entire stay was like that, where the entire staff was helpful and alert to my every need. I used the concierge services to help me locate a China Post Office (two blocks away), and even to translate the address on my package so that the post office would accept it. The concierge also alerted me to the fact that the Shanghai Art Museum had relocated to a new building, saving me an erroneous trip. My room was beautiful and spacious with a little foyer and a walk-in closet and a large marble bath and vanity, separate marble shower, separate toilet room, and two queen beds. The bed was immensely comfortable. The front desk offered to upgrade my room to a deluxe suite for and extra 400RMB/night, which would have included the breakfast buffet, but I declined. My room felt like a deluxe suite already, and I paid the extra 188RMB? for breakfast. Don't miss the breakfast buffet. It is HUGE, and absolutely delightful, just the perfect start to your day in Shanghai. The chef is eager to please and will make omelets to order, or anything else. I also enjoyed the doing laps in the pool. The pool/spa facility is among the best I've seen. It trumps the fanciest spas that I've been to in the U.S. There is a steam room and dry sauna and spa services. The attendants are attentive and wonderful. I had forgotten my swim cap and goggles and made the mistake of spending hours searching for them on Nanjing Road, only to find that they had them for sale (likely for less!). I stayed only two nights, and wished it could have been longer. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Thank you, everyone at Grand Central, for being truly top-notched!

Room Tip: I was on the 10th Floor. Very quiet. There's probably not a bad room in the house.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank lenorelook
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the fantastic comments regarding your stay. We will share the comments with the hotel staff and ensure that we continue to work hard in order to make each guests stay memorable.

There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed August 10, 2013

This 5 star hotel surprised me a lot. Clean spacious rooms with a very good bed. The bathroom is very comfortable. The interior is classic instead of some modern features, but does not influence the very good services of the helpful staff. Breakfast and lunch in the lobby are quite moderate. The price quality is good. The location is very central just 1 minute from the Nanjing road. If you need to be there this hotel is a very good choice.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BastiaanVanLon

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great review of the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai. We are so proud that you had good experience with us, and we truly appreciate your high esteem of our location, room as well as services. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night at the end of June.

Location wise this is absolutley fantasic, right in the centre of where everything is going on, perfect for tourists.
Staff were very helpful and pleasant during my stay, they answered politely any questions that I had.
Only thing I thought is that the Hotel itsself was a little dated and was expensive for what it is, but then I guess it is shanghai and in a prime location.

I would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jamesh1000000

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you again when you return to Shanghai next time.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and I were overwhelmed by the room and services offered. Just 10 minutes walk from the Bund and 1 minute from Nanjing Road made it a perfect location for us. If you are not used to luxury you will love it like we did - try the swiming pool!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ChrisBrazil
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Grand Central hotel Shanghai. We are delighted with your high esteem of our hotel location and room. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Grand Central Hotel Shanghai in the near future.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I think for an easy stay in city centre, it's really the best location u can ever find in downtown. for most people who come shanghai for the first time, its just on east nanjing road and 5min walk to the bund. and comparing with those bundside hotels, u dont need to waste time on taxis of traffic jam, even in rush hours, just go downstairs, take the metro then u can reach everywhere. for business customer, its a decent as well as super budget choice. i shall personally admit that as a local brand hotel, the staff here are better than lots of intl brand ones nearby. my checkin is super quick and neat.

Room Tip: ask for a room above 12th floor, the view to the nanjing road at night is quite ok (unless u dont li...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank wonderfay

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your high regard of our hotel location and staff service, and thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor. Your positive comments have been shared with the hotel team and it is an encouragement for us to continue improving our quality. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I wanted a little old world Shanghai with modern conveniences and good location; we got it in the Grand Central. Marble floors, polished brass, wonderful spa (get the Chinese massage!), warm indoor pool, plenty of fluffy towels and always someone greeting you with a smile.

This hotel was located just off the main pedestrian street and a short walk to Bund. There are restaurants within, but many in the area as well (we ate great Szechuan and Turkish food on the same street). There is a Metro stop nearby as well for easy in/out of the city, though cabs are easy to catch as well.

I would highly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jinx101
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai. It is so encouraging to receive positive comments on our location, service and products. We appreciate that you will recommend our hotel. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a hotel that lives up to its 5 star reputation. It is well located very close to East Nanjing Metro station (take the Juijang street exit) and hence very easy for access to and from Puding International Airport
The rooms are spacious, very well designed with a good separation of resting and bathroom areas. They have thought of everything (except maybe an extendable clothes line above the bath - we just hung up our extendable one). Staff are helpful and polite. The lobby bar is good for a drink and not ridiculously overpriced, and there are plenty of restaurants nearby (shopping malls are a good place to look). All in all a beautiful place to retreat to when the noise, heat etc get too much. Ask for a room overlooking East Nanjing road, for a great view of what's happening below. We enjoyed #1116.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking East Nanjing road - great view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bev S
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your great review of Grand Central Hotel Shanghai. We truly appreciate your high esteem of our hotel room amenities and location. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.