Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
$145
  • Breakfast included
$157
  • Pool
The Kunlun Jing An(Shanghai)
$146
$110
$154
$106
$101
$86
1,073 results
All reviewsnanjing roadexcellent locationpeople's squarestar hotelgrand lobbywalking streetseparate toiletpedestrian mallrooms are hugeminute walkbreakfast buffetpeople's parkmetro stopwonderful hotelexecutive floorpudong airportconcierge
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed in the Grand Central for 3 days in 2 deluxe rooms in December as the first stop in our round the world trip (my wife, 17 year old twins and myself). Not a bad way to start our journey, the GC certainly lived up to our expectations after reading all the good reviews on Tripadvisor.
The hotel location is perfect for seeing around Shanghai. A comfortable 20 minute walk down Nanjing Road (which is one street away from the hotel) takes you down to The Bund and there are plenty of shops and restaurants within 5 minutes of the hotel.
The hotel itself is indeed grand. The lobby is very impressive however it's almost impossible to appreciate it due to the amount of smoking going on. No restrictions on smoking here and at times it was quite overwhelming even for an ex-smoker who generally isn't bothered by others smoking. The rooms are large and very comfortable and the standard of cleanliness was very good. One complaint though was the absence of free wifi. We could connect our laptop for complimentary wired internet connection but I would have thought they could have stretched to free wifi. Other amenities such as fitness centre and indoor pool were excellent.
We had breakfast as part of our deal and it was very nice. We did have lunch on the day we arrived but it was very average and expensive so we didn't have any other meals in the hotel.
The reception staff were generally pleasant and mostly helpful although on arrival the chap spent 10 minutes trying to sell us a $100 a night upgrade then seemed to lose motivation when it was clear we didn't want it.
Overall this is a top hotel in a great location and when compared with similar standard hotels in other cities gives outstanding value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 18Donald72
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Spent 3 nights from 26th Dec as a couple.
The entrance of the place looks great on the inside.
The deluxe room was good size, bed comfortable and bathroom a good size.
Did not eat in hotel as it was not included
Found wifi in room was not great.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank T1NT1N
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Tripadvisor says it. It is a luxury hotel in the heart of Shanghai. Price is very reasonable without sacrificing the quality and luxury/elegance the guest can have. Rooms are very spacious and well interiored. Its amenities and touch of golds made it feel like you are a prince/princess. I celebrated my birthday here and it feels like i had a good choice. They let me go for an early check in as early as the room was available. The check in procedure was fast. They even granted my request to have a great view on top, so they gave me a room overlooking the busy street of nanjing. Location was really fantastic. Walking distance to almost Shanghai's major attraction(the bund,nanjing shopping street,yu yuan) Starbucks and other restaurants are just around the corner. So it was never a hard time when you get hungry.

Would just like to comment about the foreign exchange counter. It feels like its not well maintained and properly working as it always rejected my money considering i had two currency to change. Tried almost all paper i had but really didnt accept it.
It would actually be fine but its just disappointing as the front office attendant didnt suggest any ways to help me but just rather said "sorry its not working".

Overall, the hotel features is absolutely amazing. Will definitely rate it as a 5star.
Staff just needs a little attention and training when it comes to hospitality and service.
Smiling and meeting guests expectation on service is a primary need to a 5star hotel like this one. (From the concierge,bell boys,front office,etc)
In a brighter side they were OK, just ok but not a staff service for a 5star hotel. Exception to the housekeeping department who were really friendly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank michelle F
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was a good choice in Shanghai with a great lobby and large luxuray room. Breakfast was included, but they fought me because they said it wasn't . I should have given in and pasted on it, but the included part of the breakfast cost me 3 days in agony from something gone terribly bad. Our guide stopped for a little egg sandwich, and she was sicker than me. Golden rule - forget these breakfasts in the hotels they cost more than the room and the food is likely recycled. It was the first thing I ate in China, so NO I didnt get it from the plane!

Room Tip: ASK for an upgrade.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed there with a big group and everyone just loved it. My room was standard for a high end hotel and the bathroom was spacious. A true five stars hotel. This is a very elegant hotel and in a great location. It's walking distance from all major attractions (the bund, mint, etc.) The lobby is spacious with plenty of sitting areas to hang out and have a drink with friends while waiting to go out. We hung out there almost every night every heading out to dinner or to the clubs and bars near by. Coming back, we hung out again in the lobby and had cappuccinos before heading back to our rooms.

I plan to visit Shanghai in the near future and will definitely stay in this hotel again. I have very fond memories of my last visit and the convenient location of the hotel made it all that much better.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business