“Great Hotel”

Ranked #34 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I travel internationally a lot and I have four main priorities when selecting a hotel other than location, which is unique to each person’s travel needs: 1) solid air conditioning that can be controlled from the room, 2) no-smoking rooms that truly are no-smoking rooms (read: no nasty smell in the room), 3) free in-room wi-fi, and 4) access to good Western breakfasts with the breakfast charge included in the room rate. Give me these four things and I’m willing to pay up a bit. The Grand Central Hotel-Shanghai was excellent, overall. The air conditioning was terrific, the room did not smell of smoke (I was on the 11th floor) and the included breakfast was stellar. The only issue I had with this hotel is that free wi-fi was only available n the lobby. However, the hotel said they’d be happy to bring some sort of unit to my room if I wanted it. Since I was only staying one night I took a pass. While in the lobby, though, the wi-fi worked great and was easy to access. I should also mention that the people there were friendly and helpful, the whole hotel was clean and modern and I checked in and out in a flash. The rate was very reasonable and I felt like I was staying in a more expensive hotel. Last, for RMB600, the hotel arranged for an airport pickup in a nice Audi. The driver was right there waiting for me when I came into the arrivals hall and we were off like a shot. Worth every penny after a very long trip. Next time I’m in Shanghai, I’ll stay at Grand Central Hotel-Shanghai again in a second.

Room Tip: non smoking!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank scottv1000
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, We are extremely delighted with your high esteem of our hotel which makes us very proud of our team for their continuous efforts. Guest comments are very important for the hotel to improve, so we have already noticed our hotel management about wi-fi in guest rooms. We hope to serve you again on your return visit to Shanghai and thank you for your encouraging comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel is 5 star with luxury room and excellent service. Location is excellent as the hotel is located 200 meters from Nanjing Xi Road, famous street in Shanghai where you could find stretch of building with colorful lighting. The Bund is about 1 km walk from hotel and there variety of shops, restaurants, and cafe around. Breakfast, on the other hand, is plain and simple which is typical of Shanghai taste. There are better options for breakfast around the hotels which you could explore.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! Your comments on breakfast buffet will certainly help us know what we can do better to provide a memorable experience for our guests during their stays. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Beautiful hotel with english speaking staff. Close to everything and affordable price. Big and very eelgant and comfortable rooms

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest, We are very pleased that the hotel met with your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2012

The hotel is a real 5 star hotel. The entrance is amazing it has a decent pool a good spa aerea and the rooms a very huge (they look even better than on the photos). I do not recommend the breakfast. There is not much variety, better to go to star bucks next door. The situation of the hotel is extremely good, next door to the shopping street Nanjing road, the Bund and 20 minutes walk from the old town. You should book the hotel from bookin.com or another agency beforehand, rooms are much more expensive when you book them there plus they are somehow inflexible.2in
If you like to go out clubbing, there is the best hip night club next door, the mint. You need a reservation.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1134, was a good room with views.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2012

I chose this hotel based on previous Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The location is very convenient for the Bund and shopping. The rooms are huge and most comfortably fitted out with every conceivable item one would need.
Also as my room was looking inward to a courtyard it was exceptionally quiet. My room was made available mid-morning without any hastle, prior to normal chech-in time. The reception service was excellent and very pleasant. The next day the same person even remembered my name when I had a question.
I dined in the Chinese restaurant, had the breakfast buffet and had an evening dinner but found that was the only let-down in that the food was relatively ordinary. Nevertheless the convenience of dining in the hotel outweighed the need to search for an external location.

The only external area frustration I experienced was going during the day to the local up market shopping area. As a single male I was approached every few hundred meters or so by both male and female touts trying to pursade me into having an escort or selling watches. This was most curious as in other local toursit areas they would normally back off after using the standard chinese no thanks/not want, but in the main department store area they were agressively persistent.

Notwithstanding it is a very good hotel in a most convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high inward facing room. I noticed the lower level rooms seem to look inwards to the atriu...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank tastony2
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! Your comments on dining in the hotel will certainly help us know what we can do better to provide a memorable experience for our guests during their stays. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I chose the GCHS based on price, TripAdvisor reviews, and location. It was the location that turned out to be the most important. We walked to the Bund and Nanjing Road shopping area (one block over). A subway stop is also one block away. Everything else was a short cab ride away. The room was impeccable, fitted out with every 5-star hotel accessory you could imagine (I am wearing my complementary slippers as I write this, the best hotel slippers ever!). I had a foot massage in the spa, which turned out to be the best of our 3-week trip. We were upgraded to the Executive level upon check in (not sure why) and are so glad: it included access to the business lounge (free computer usage and printing) with a cooler stocked with waters and sodas. We also got breakfast here, and happy hour with snacks and wine, beer, and a good range of alcohol. The concierge desk was very helpful with restaurant and shopping recommendations. In the business lounge, Alex even taught me how to bargain Chinese Style! One caveat: air conditioning is not up to US standards. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SunnyBainbridge
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the delightful review on the hotel. We are indeed most motivated by your comments and will continue our efforts to do even better. Guest comments are very important for the hotel to improve, so please contact us with more details about air conditioning at sherryshi@centralhotelshanghai.com. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in shanghai many times and have always wanted to find a good hotel in a good location without a ridiculous price. This hotel is on jiujiang lu which is very central and the hotel has good facilities and is very nice. I stayed on the executive floor six which was only slightly more than standard rooms and worth the extra for the free breakfast and nice lounge.

Stayed May 2011
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.