“Very good hotel for an amazing price!”

Grand Central Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #51 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 19, 2012

The hotel is a real 5 star hotel. The entrance is amazing it has a decent pool a good spa aerea and the rooms a very huge (they look even better than on the photos). I do not recommend the breakfast. There is not much variety, better to go to star bucks next door. The situation of the hotel is extremely good, next door to the shopping street Nanjing road, the Bund and 20 minutes walk from the old town. You should book the hotel from bookin.com or another agency beforehand, rooms are much more expensive when you book them there plus they are somehow inflexible.2in
If you like to go out clubbing, there is the best hip night club next door, the mint. You need a reservation.

Room Tip: We stayed in 1134, was a good room with views.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
grandcentralhotelsha, Public Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2012

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! Your comments on breakfast buffet will certainly help us know what we can do better to provide a memorable experience for our guests during their stays. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

There are newer reviews for Grand Central Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed April 16, 2012

I chose this hotel based on previous Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. The location is very convenient for the Bund and shopping. The rooms are huge and most comfortably fitted out with every conceivable item one would need.
Also as my room was looking inward to a courtyard it was exceptionally quiet. My room was made available mid-morning without any hastle, prior to normal chech-in time. The reception service was excellent and very pleasant. The next day the same person even remembered my name when I had a question.
I dined in the Chinese restaurant, had the breakfast buffet and had an evening dinner but found that was the only let-down in that the food was relatively ordinary. Nevertheless the convenience of dining in the hotel outweighed the need to search for an external location.

The only external area frustration I experienced was going during the day to the local up market shopping area. As a single male I was approached every few hundred meters or so by both male and female touts trying to pursade me into having an escort or selling watches. This was most curious as in other local toursit areas they would normally back off after using the standard chinese no thanks/not want, but in the main department store area they were agressively persistent.

Notwithstanding it is a very good hotel in a most convenient location.

Room Tip: Ask for a high inward facing room. I noticed the lower level rooms seem to look inwards to the atriu...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank tastony2

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! Your comments on dining in the hotel will certainly help us know what we can do better to provide a memorable experience for our guests during their stays. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

My husband and I chose the GCHS based on price, TripAdvisor reviews, and location. It was the location that turned out to be the most important. We walked to the Bund and Nanjing Road shopping area (one block over). A subway stop is also one block away. Everything else was a short cab ride away. The room was impeccable, fitted out with every 5-star hotel accessory you could imagine (I am wearing my complementary slippers as I write this, the best hotel slippers ever!). I had a foot massage in the spa, which turned out to be the best of our 3-week trip. We were upgraded to the Executive level upon check in (not sure why) and are so glad: it included access to the business lounge (free computer usage and printing) with a cooler stocked with waters and sodas. We also got breakfast here, and happy hour with snacks and wine, beer, and a good range of alcohol. The concierge desk was very helpful with restaurant and shopping recommendations. In the business lounge, Alex even taught me how to bargain Chinese Style! One caveat: air conditioning is not up to US standards. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a non-smoking room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SunnyBainbridge

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the delightful review on the hotel. We are indeed most motivated by your comments and will continue our efforts to do even better. Guest comments are very important for the hotel to improve, so please contact us with more details about air conditioning at sherryshi@centralhotelshanghai.com. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

I have stayed in shanghai many times and have always wanted to find a good hotel in a good location without a ridiculous price. This hotel is on jiujiang lu which is very central and the hotel has good facilities and is very nice. I stayed on the executive floor six which was only slightly more than standard rooms and worth the extra for the free breakfast and nice lounge.

Stayed: May 2011

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share the comments with us. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

I often travel to Shanghai on business and usually stay at the Intercontinental because I like to walk to Shanghai Railway Station. This time I did not need to take an early morning train so I wanted to stay near the Bund. I chose the Grand Central Shanghai after seeing positive reviews on Tripadvisor and I am pleased that I did.
The Grand Central is a good quality five star hotel in a great location. The hotel rooms are not as large or as well appointed as those at the Intercontinental but there is also a price difference.
The rooms are large enough and have everything one needs including free internet. Check in and out was friendly and efficient. One surprise was that every staff member with whom I had contact spoke reasonable English which was very convenient for me because my Chinese is very poor.

I used the main lobby restaurant once for breakfast and did not think the food was quite up to the standard of other good Shanghai hotels. It was not bad just not great. I had room service one night and found the food to be of a high standard and well presented.

I used the lobby lounge twice for meetings and found the atmosphere to be just right; quiet enough but with a friendly atmosphere.

The hotel has a reasonable gymnasium and a very nice indoor pool.

I will stay at this hotel again when I want to stay near the Bund.

Room Tip: The hotel offers a wide selection of blankets and pillow types if you don't like the standard hi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. We are very grateful for your encouraging feedback! Your comments on breakfast in the hotel will certainly help us know what we can do better to provide a memorable experience for our guests during their stays. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed at the GCHS March 9-13 during our first trip to China. We are a family of five -- with daughters ages 16, 14 and 12 -- and the hotel was perfect. We stayed in two rooms, and the hotel was kind enough to provide a rollaway bed and put us in rooms next to each other on a high floor. The hotel is beautiful, especially the atrium. The rooms are very large (especially compared to European hotel rooms) and comfortable. The bathrooms are huge, with both a shower and tub, as well as a separate water closet. The staff was very friendly and attentive, and many spoke at least some english. But the best thing about the GCHS is the location. We were able to easily walk to the Bund/Pudong area, as well as People's Park'/Square -- and the Nanjing pedestrian/shopping street is just a block away (just far enough to avoid the noise and lights). There is also a subway station about 100 yards from the hotel with access to the 2 and 10 lines (the subway system is very clean and very easy to navigate). We were able to use the subway to get to/from the Yuyuan Garden and French Concession areas. And to top it all, the rooms were very reasonably priced! I would highly recommend!

Room Tip: High floor facing the river, or away from Nanjing Street, seem to be quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank longhorn67

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you and your family enjoyed most during your visit in Shanghai. We are extremely delighted that our hotel met you expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back often upon your future stay.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Very convenient location, excellent service.
The breakfast was ok, if not quite top notch.

Very nice rooms, decent free (wired) internet connection. The hotel service was good, and the burned fuse for my room was changed within minutes of discovery.

Complimentary shoe shining was a nice touch.

Some of the hotel information was a bit vague, for example the breakfast opening hours were a bit unclear.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to share with us what you enjoyed most about your visit. Your comments are very important for us to improve constantly, and we have forwarded the problem about hotel information to some related department heads. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.