“Fantastic burgers and salads”

Beef & Liberty ( Shanghai Centre ) Burgers
Ranked #30 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: Beef & Liberty is our modern homage to the original beefsteak clubs from 17th century London and, we hope, the tastiest hamburger you will have tried in a while. We are obsessed with hamburgers. We have spent many years trying to create the perfect burger - one that is juicy, beefy, smoky and downright delicious. We think we have succeeded in our quest for perfection we are delighted to share our obsession with you. We proudly serve hormone-free grass-fed beef. Our beef is from Hereford cattle which are naturally raised by small-scale farmers in the Cape Grim region of Tasmania, which has the cleanest air in the world. Why grass fed beef? Cows naturally eat grass, which produces leaner meat, high in Omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. We freshly grind the beef in our burgers in-house daily and serve it on a custom-baked white sour-dough roll. Add friends and family, top it off with some great craft beers, house cocktails or a fresh Liberty lemonade and you've got our version of what a perfect hamburger experience should be. Welcome to Beef & Liberty, we hope you enjoy it.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Great Shanghai burger and their sales are very fresh and good. Fries also great. Friendly atmosphere with great outdoor dining. Best burger I've had in Shanghai.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Burger is nothing spectacular but it's probably one of the best burgers you'll have in Shanghai. The service here was excellent. Waiter had no problems understanding us and was very friendly.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

They serve burgers as they should be: good bread, tastefull sauce, the meat as ordered, and very nice fries (although not too much). Nothing fancy, just very good burgers and that is it. But what more do you want?

Reviewed November 28, 2013

On a recent visit to Shanghai, I stayed again at the Portman Ritz Carlton and noticed this restaurant on the premises.

I decided to try it out for dinner.

The decor is very simple and pleasing. As it was fairly late, I was given a table immediately.

I decided to go in for a helping of Chicken Strips as a starter. The dish arrived fairly promptly. It comprised of 6 fairly large strips of Chicken batter fried. They were very tasty and tender and the Cajun Aoli dip was delicious if a bit small for the large strips. I asked for another helping of the Cajun Aoli.

For the main course, I went in for a Green Chile Burger. While looking at the menu, I was tempted by the Black Pepper Fries. I asked if I could switch the regular Fries from the burger for the Black Pepper Fries and said I would be willing to pay the difference. The staff refused to this.

In Shanghai, it is better to not argue with someone responsible for bringing you food.

When I got my burger, to my surprise, it came along with both, the regular and the Black Pepper fries. No explanation given.

The burger was very tasty and the fries were just ok.

When the bill came, to my surprise, I had to pay for the Aoli and in full for the Black Pepper fries.

Rather than argue, I chalked it up to language barrier, paid and left.

The food is good but the service was just mediocre and I would not go back.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

If you are looking for a great burger, Beef & Liberty will not disappoint. The place is very small and usually always busy during lunch and dinner. One of our favorite places to go when we are craving a great burger. Food and service are very consistent.