“Fantastic Hotel in Shanghai” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Shanghai Puxi

InterContinental Shanghai Puxi
Ranked #26 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Taipei, Taiwan
“Fantastic Hotel in Shanghai”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

This hotel is located across from Shanghai Rail Station. It is completely new so do expect some rough spots especially on the staff. The service quality is inconsistent and I can tell that they're working on improving this throughout my short, 2 night stay.

The room: Fantastic. Everything is new. My room was standard and I asked to be on a high floor and they put me on the 27th. My room was huge in comparison to other hotel rooms I had. 46" flat screen, sound system, huge bath tub, high-tech toilet, long sofa, fast internet connection, etc. everything one can ask for. The only complaint I have is the bed was a bit hard for me. I prefer the heavenly bed from Sheraton. Otherwise the room was perfect. If you prefer to stay in your hotel room most of the time or you need room to work, this hotel is just for you.

The gym: They had everything you need to have a good workout. The latest high-tech equipment from USA that connects to ipod. Huge LCD screens on each treadmill to watch local tv. There were no one using the gym during my visit. I had a great time working out. They also have a huge in door pool. I don't know if it was heated. I also used their sauna which was nice.

They also had a virtual golf simulator that I didn't use. It costs just as much as to play 18 holes of the real thing in USA. RMB 250.

The food: Breakfest had many choices of Western, Chinese, and Japanese. A lot to choose from. Room service was prompt and took less than 10 minutes to deliver. The food was average. Nothing too special.

Location: I don't know why people have problem with the location. Sure the hotel is not located in the popular tourist destination, however, getting there was very easy. I took a cab from the hotel to Nangjing Road for RMB 14 during off peak hours. The taxi ride took less than 10 minutes. For the type of room that I'm getting at this hotel, I will definately dish out the extra cab fare. Taxis are abundant in Shanghai. As long as you have the address in Chinese, you're good.

The service: Service is inconsistent. I'm Chinese myself, so I guess they don't pay much attention to me. The door men are very good at smiling and greeting you. But the reception was inconsistent in providing good service attitude. It just didn't feel like a 5 star hotel in terms of quality, yet.

The room definately made up for the rough edges of the hotel. I will definately return next time.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2009

This hotel is near to the main railway station in Shanghai - but far enough away from the main tourist and shopping areas to make its location a major detractor. The hotel is modern, but the dark ambience is unwelcoming. Rooms are large and well equipped, but without the dramatic views of some great hotels in Shanghai. Food was high quality, but not served with care and attention that is expected in a 5 star establishment. I didn't visit the leisure facilities. Walking around the local area, unfortunately I found nothing of interest. I would suggest staying elsewhere, close to Nanjing Lu or in Pudong.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

Intercontinental Puxi is one of the newest additions to Shanghai’s roster of 5-star hotels. While most 5-stars are clustered in either in the People’s Square or Lujiazui (Pudong) areas, this one is set apart in the Shanghai Rail Station area – a part of Shanghai that has little to commend it to tourists. On top of the unceasing throngs of people entering and exiting Shanghai via this station, the area is in the demolition stage of a major facelift, and thus very dusty and devoid of character. Logistically this hotel is geared more toward regional business travellers than tourists. But the proximity of metro lines 1, 3 and 4 (which are a 5-10 minute walk away) make it reasonably accessible for anyone. There are no restaurants nearby that aren’t of the fast food variety.

The hotel pops out on the skyline with its two glass and steel towers – comprising a main tower and an executive tower. The lobby has a striking installation of swirling ribbons of glass suspended from the ceiling that draw the eyes upwards. It is an inspired use of the vertical space that creates an impressive effect....it almost makes one overlook the aweful mess that was made of the lobby floor tiles.

The rooms are spacious and modern – and they got all the important things right. The furnishings and audio/visual equipment were all spot on. The bed was very comfortable and the linens and towels were excellent quality. But despite the fact that the toilet is located in a separate area from the bathroom, the bathroom feels a little cramped. Sticklers for detail will notice that the paint and finishes look like they were completed in a hurry. We found lots of examples of shoddy work in the room.

The highlight of the stay was easily the spa/pool facilities. Perhaps this was because I didn’t see another guest using the leisure facilities the whole time I was there, which was a Saturday/Sunday. This might also explain why the pool staff seemed a little over-attentive.

Overall, this place has a welcoming vibe about it. I might not recommend it for tourists because of the location, but it's great for anyone who needs to be near the rail station.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
HKG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2009

This newly opened hotel is grand and tidy. The bedroom and the bathroom is in a very good size, but the lighting of the room is a bit dark. I would say the hotel should give the guest a choice to adjust the lighting as some guest may not prefer that so much.

Service is a 4 star hotel. When I walked in for the breakfast at the restaurant, the staff did not offer me any drinks although the breakfast comes with coffee or tea. I have to call for waiter for a couple times in order to be seen and ordered the drinks.

Location is a bit far from the tourist area, and basically there is not much surround the area.

I would still recommend this hotel for a business purpose, and might not a good choice for leisure purpose.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

A beautiful hotel and has every bit the potential to be 5 star. This hotel I understand opened about 1 month ago. The lobby is artistic and grand. The rooms are spacious and nicely designed. Each room has a large flat screen TV, iPod docking station and a TV that can be viewed through the bathroom vanity mirror. The bathtub is large and the shower has a rain faucet which is a nice treat. The gym and pool are much better that what I have typically seen. The spa/massage was good (a little pricey but to be expected at what could be a 5 star). The staff are very nice, charming and try hard.

However, there are some major growing pains that if not addressed, then this hotel will in the future receive terrible reviews. Here is a list:
1. The hotel room doors don't shut hard enough - so >80% of the time, they don't auto lock. I pushed on a few other doors and sure enough, they opened. Major issue.
2. The elevator buttons are sometimes hard to push - a few times required me to switch to another panel to get to my floor.
3. The elevator buttons have floor descriptions but because the elevator is so dark, you cant see the label.
4. The steam from my shower set off my heat/smoke alarm every morning for about 5-10 seconds.
5. The satellite TV sometimes did not work. I had to pull out the room electricity card to reboot the system. Then it worked.
6. The elevator that leads to the the gym smelled like trash everyday.
7. The mirror in the bathroom room is too dark - you can't see your face well
8. The electronic blinds did not work after the 2nd day
9. The day I ate at Koi, I believe they burned oil by mistake - the smell was terrible and stung my eyes a bit. Need better ventilation.

So, the biggest question is "Will I return to this hotel given the growing pains?" Yes, I will... if anything just because I'm curious if this hotel can fix the problems. I believe the hotel staff are dedicated and you can tell the GM has purposely staffed internationally to host various foreigners. Best of luck to this hotel in a highly competitive market.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank AmericaninNZ
Barcelona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

The hotel itself is really great. Everything is brandnew. Too bad they decided to open the hotel while still finishing the last details. Every hallway somebody is working / making some adjustments. From minor adjustments to changing the lighting to major adjustments like plastering walls.

That being said , the room is very big with huge tv. Too bad the bed is so small being that they call it a "king bed" . . its more a small size queen .

Now for the service, even though the staff is very friendly and wants to be very helpfull , they are most definatly not. They only tend to get on my nerves.

Every information they gave me was wrong . And often they contradict themselves. One person would say this , other person would say the opposite. I understand its a new hotel and not everything is going to be working like a well oiled machine. But they should have trained/ informed their staff a bit better.

Basic things they got wrong include :

- asked reception what name they use for charging my credit card deposit. asked this few hours after checking in when I saw a strange charge for "yao da fandian ch" when asking the girl looked at me like I was stupid then claimed it should be "intercontinental" started to get worried something went wrong with my card and there were fraudulent charges , then later in the same conversation found out it was in fact "yao da fandian ch" not intercontinental ,
- woke up early and wanted to have breakfast , wasnt sure when breakfast started so called information to find out, I was told it is 7 o clock . Later found out it actually starts at 6
- the gym is open 24 hours , but according to some staff it is not, some think it opens at 10 am and closes 11 pm , understandable they think that as some of the hotel information gives you those opening hours,

basically a good hotel , and will probably get better if the staff is more up to date and more used to the new hotel . got annoyed many times though

should also mention that unlike most china hotels they dont offer free internet . they want 4 RMB per minute to a maximum of 120 RMB per 24 hours ;

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Sevilla
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2009

I recently came to stay in the newly opened InterContinental Hotel Shanghai Puxi and was blown away by the service and overall appearance of the hotel! Upon arrival I received a warm welcome by both the Concierge staff and the Guest Relations Officers and speedy check in. The rooms were spacious and I had all of the facilities I needed. The view was so-so being that the hotel is centrally located next to the shanghai railway station. I took my clients to have dinner in the Ecco restaurant and our experience was suburb and I would return with more clients in a heartbeat. All in all, my experience was fantastic and I highly recommend this hotel for a great location and excellent service!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business