“Wonderful hotel close to the Shanghai Expo”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #32 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Lovely stay at this hotel during a recent trade fair. Truly lovely rooms and an excellent welcome found here. The beds are easily the most comfortable I have ever encountered in mainland China and the quality of choice on the buffet breakfast is of an exceptionally high standard.
My only negative comment would be that the level of English spoken in the hotel bar, the Liquor Store was not quite up to par with an international hotel of this standard it was hard to be understood.

Otherwise an excellent hotel and I shall certainly be back.

• Stayed: September 2013
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your experience with us! We are glad to hear our rooms and breakfast give you a great impression. The comment from you is very important and we will enhance the internal langue training for the new staff. Look forward to seeing soon in the near future!

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Shanghai Expo

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Apart from the beautiful room and the nice amenities, the hotel has a lovely garden bar. Not just any garden but they have replicate the garden to look like someone's backyard, perfect place for events as well.

What I like about the hotel is their attention to detail and the F & B staff are always smiling - breathe of fresh air when they are spontaneous and can hold a conversation.

Though it is away from downtown area, taxis are always available.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your comments with us! We are happy to receive such a great feedback from you. Now we open the shuttle bus from hotel to the nearest subway station and it will make guests more convenient. Hope you will come back again in the near future!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Staying at the Intercontinental Expo was a treat. The Club floor suite I stayed in was spacious, with everything you need and more. The bathroom was bigger than some hotel rooms. Adding the view of the Shanghai skyline and the Huangpu made it a great location to work.

The service was exceptional and the staff did everything to make the stay a pleasant one.

Everything worked to perfection, exactly what I needed and what you expect from a 5Star hotel, but not always delivered.

The food in the cafe and Club lounge was tasty and the choices were endless.

I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Off the beaten track, but excellent hotel with great service. Location is good when meetings are in...
2  Thank YanXunLong
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you very much for staying with us and we are glad you did enjoy in our hotel. Thanks again for your recommendation and welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights on a business trip at this hotel and I must that that I was very impressed with the hotel, its facilities and especially with the service and staff.
I must also recommend the Club floor with its special extra services and its wonderful and very attentive staff! The concierge team went above all possible expectations with their assistance and help! Simply splendid!!
Room, spa, pool, sun deck, Club floor and its deck, service and staff - all absolutely fantastic and first class - I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Try Club Floor. Spa and pool are excellent - take your swimsuit and swimcap along.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing our hotel and sharing your comments with us! We are proud of your great feedback and thank you for your recommendation for our Club InterContinental. Look forward to seeing you in the near future!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending a conference at the Expo Centre. I thought the hotel amenities were good and the staff were excellent.
The hotel was convenient for the Expo Centre but there was not a lot of other options close by.
The gym and Spa were very nice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback, we are happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

The team at Intercontinental Expo are amazing. I have stayed three times in six months and just took the whole hotel over for a week and everything went very well. The rooms are so lovely, and extremely stylish and comfortable, the beds are the best! The location is great right on the river and its nice to not be in the midle of all the craziness of Shanghai but only ten minutes in a cab to anwhere you need to go for dinner or partying. The staff were incredibly helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
I would recommend intercontinental Expo Shanghai to both business and leisure travellers and definitely upgrade yourself to the Executive level as the lounge is wonderful!!

I will definitely be back! Thanks to all the Intercon team!

Room Tip: the view over the river is wonderful on a high floor, but all rooms have great views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Rachel L, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us again and we appreciate your kind words. Everyone at InterContinental Shanghai Expo is looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed here recently as I was attending an event at this hotel. Booked a king bed room since I am a single traveller but at check in was told that king bed room was not available and I'll need to wait 1.5-2 hours if I wanted a king room. It was already past check in time of 3pm and as I wanted to rest before my scheduled appointment at 5pm, I just took the twin room.

Room was quite nice and bathroom spacious. Just as I was falling asleep, the chambermaid came along and pressed the doorbell. I had forgotten to put up the do not disturb sign. My bad. She wanted to change the flowers in the room. She sure took her own sweet time, cutting the flowers in my room and putting them in the vase. I requested that she speed it up. Glad that she was finally done and I went back to sleep. Before long, the doorbell rang again! Yes, I forgot to put the do not disturb sign again when the first chambermaid went out. It is now another chambermaid asking to change the flowers again! Told her someone else has already done it. Off she went. Thought this was the last of chambermaids, but was I wrong. Doorbell range a third time, now, it was another chambermaid asking if I needed anything! Amazing, I did not even ask for service, and have never encountered chambermaids pressing doorbells to ask if you need anything. It was then already 4.30pm and there was no way I could catch my nap before my appointment.

When I went back to my room that evening, the room was not turned down. Disappointed that the chambermaids do things at their wimp and fancy and only chose to service the room when guests are in. Hoping for tips perhaps?

Had breakfast and lunch at the coffee house. Selection was extensive and food was good.

Our seminar was held in the hotel. Each conference room is a standalone villa. Air conditioning was underpowered and the room was warm and stuffy. Refreshments provided were just passable.

Will I stay here again? Unlikely. Location of the hotel is not convenient to tourist attractions or work.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you very much for taking time to share your comments with us! We apologize for the inconvenience caused during your stay. We will inform the related department and our hotel will enhance the internal training to avoid the same situation. We hope you will come back and let us show you our real service standard.