“Cheap business hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #196 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Cheap business hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Although slightly out of the way, the hotel is extremely well equiped. Jacuzzi in the room, plus shower unit as well as a sauna steam room (which I did not try out). Light switches are back lit and are well labelled. TV stations have the usual foreign channels, CNN, CNBC, BBC, HBO etc.
Rooms are of reasonable size, although my room faced an internal light well. Air conditioning is ok, but I prefer it to be cooler eventhough I have adjusted to the lowest temperature already. The room lighting is too cozy for my liking though.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
CHICAGO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

Stayed at the hotel for 3 nights.

Pros: This hotel is located about 10 minute walk from a train station.
-Rooms are decent sized and well decorated.
-polite front desk staff
-fast elevators

Cons: Room was always to warm and the climate control did not work properly.
-it seemed that the hotel stopped restocking the breakfast items about half an hour before the end of breakfast.

Overall great hotel and value for Pudong

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank t O
Shropshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel. Well worth being a little out of the way as it is half the price of city centre hotels and the metro is so good. My only complaint is being given a room which faced a wall/window into the gym so I had to keep the curtains closed. Annoying as the vast majority of the rooms must have stunning views! Suggest you ask at check in about this. Otherwise an excellent place.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Stuart S
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

While on a business trip, this hotel was my home for six nights this month. Overall, I would recommend to stay here based on the cleanliness, politeness of staff, and decor. They will exchange US dollars at the front desk, call a taxi in seconds, and insist on a clean room every day. There is a restaurant on the lobby level which has complimentary breakfast, but with limited western choices. There is also a coffee bar which serves alcohol late into the evening hours on the lobby level. The only negative I have is the smell near the front desk / elevator bays. I'm guessing its from the water features which are meant for serenity, but in fact, give off a smell of fecal matter that will knock you backwards. Most travelers will not spend much time in this part of the hotel, so it's manageable and can be laughed off as just another story to bring home?! For a safe place to rest up in a bustling city, I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank 828elissa
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed a number of nights at the Minya Hotel. This is a hotel that knows how to service a variety of both business and tourist guests from all over the world. Along with check-in the reception desk was immediatly very helpful with offering maps and information about what to do while in Shanghai.

Rooms were comfortable and we enjoyed the bathroom shower and amenities. View from the room is of a major high rise construcion zone. So not very pleasant and sort of an eyesore. However, we were higher up in the hotel and did not hear any construction noise. Since our time there was to sleep, it was not a bother to us.

Bar and resturant were a plus at the Minya. Variety and selection of wine and Western style food was an appropriate balance along with Asian choices. After a touring China for 15 days and eating the same type food for every meal, a few friends were thrilled to find a burger and fries on the menu.

It is farther out in the Pudong district, so be aware its about a 30 minute cab ride into Shanghai/The Bund area. The hotel will give you a business card with a small map on it (in english and chinese) that you give to the cab driver when you want to come back to the hotel for the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank REHTChicago
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel, at least for my needs was exceptional for the money. Rather than staying towards the more central business area of Pudong near Century Ave, this hotel offered me an ideal room. It is about a 15-20 minute drive to the more central area of Pudong, but if you have local hosts that will pick you up and drop you off each day, it hardy makes a difference. I got one of the larger rooms, and found it to be clean, well appointed and conformable. I'd like to have had a few more bottles of water and towels, and never found the free wifi signal. The wifi didn't bother me, as I travel with a portable router and simply plugged it into the hotels wired connection and it worked without a hitch.

My room came with breakfast, and I found it to be more acceptable than breakfasts I have had at other so called 5 star Chinese hotels. Breakfast at the Shangri-La of course is far better, but for the price of a room here, I found it more than acceptable.

Staff were pleasant, and check-in and check-out were smooth and quick.

I paid for a 3 night stay less than what my travelling companions paid for a single night at the Ritz Carlton. The only concession being that I was always picked up 20 minutes ahead of them. For the business traveller this is a good choice, and will likely be my choice for future trips to Shanghai.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank larrybud
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed there 2 nights before our tour and 2 nights at the end of our tour as part of the package. We received 3 beds for the family of 4. The hotel conceigre was great. Helped us purchase tickets for the train from shanghai to beijing. The staff also called taxi for us and showed us where to go for the nearest shopping mall which was 10 min by taxi.
The metro is about 10min walk away. The location is not central and we could not find a laundry place. However we were able to take the metro to the shanghai zoo.
The room was a smoking room with a musty smell, the bathroom was large. The breakfast had a good selection.
The only issue I had was there was no wifi in the room so it was fortunate we brought one labtop for the cable. As we had 2 ipads.
As for swimming pool we looked but did not use. There was a games area also for ping pong and basketball if I was not mistaken.
The staff spoke mandarin and fortunately we spoke conversational Mandarin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family