“A Must-Stay!”

Ranked #8 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“A Must-Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2010

I returned from my trip about a week ago, which has given me sufficient time to pull my jaw off the floor after my incredible experience at the Peninsula Hotel. I can't rave enough about this Bund-side gem.

My mom and I were traveling to celebrate her 60th Birthday, and celebration it was! The staff were incredibly attentive and spoke flawless English. The dining was lovely -- we had a package that included daily breakfast and one high tea -- and the food was phenomenal. The live classical string ensemble playing during tea proved to me that the Peninsula doesn't miss a trick.

The rooms, you ask? They were AMAZING! I don't know what I liked best -- free VOIP to call dad back in the US, automatic curtains and room darkening shades, spa tub, dressing room, valet box (for paper delivery in the morning without disturbing sleepy guests), complementary fruit basket, fully-wired (for no added charge) room with fax machine and pre-converted plugs for 110/220, the floor to ceiling windows giving me a full view of the river, Bund, park, and cute old people doing Tai Chi at 6am... All in all, the room was impeccable.

Additionally, we spent half a day at the Peninsula Spa. Wow. It was awesome. Might I recommend the de-stress package? I also would add that the pool area is stunning, so bring a swim suit.

As for location, it can't be beat. The Peninsula Hotel is located half a block off the Bund, right in the heart of the old Art Decco buildings, and a ten minute walk from 3 and 5 on the Bund -- best swanky restaurant spots in town.

Enough raving... The only con to our stay at the Peninsula is that it has ruined all future hotels for me. I will likely never stay in a hotel as incredible as this one, unless I return to Shanghai and book room 1204 again. Enough said.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank DCTeach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights on our recent Adventures by Disney Enchanted China trip.

The location is amazing, steps away from The Bund. The hotel, being almost brand new, is also pretty cool. When our group arrived, we were brought to a conference room for a brief demo on how to "use" our room. It is a high tech experience, to say the least! Everything is electronic.

There is a dressing room (think of it as a walk-in closet) that also features a finger nail dryer! (So, of course, I got a manicure in the salon to test it out!) The bathrooms were well appointed with 2 sinks. The bedroom was very plush. The most fun we had was opening and closing the curtains with the push of a button! We enjoyed the espresso/coffee maker and the slippers at our bedside.

The pool is amazing - you must check it out!

We stayed also at the Peninsula in Beijing, and while the Shanghai hotel is newer, the serbice in Beijing was five-star. Here, they need some work. (Don't misunderstand, it was not as bad in our experience as it was for others here).

• Stayed July 2010
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

This hotel is very beautiful. The rooms are state-of-the-art with all the latest technology. It puts rooms in other parts of the world to shame. The position is outstanding being right on the Bund. The breakfast buffet is mediocre. The service in the hotel generally is appalling. I'm not sure if it is a cultural issue or the staff just aren't trained well but this was a big negative to us. We had many service issues and errors which I won't devote this space to go into. Would definitely recommend it though despite this as the rooms are excellent and the position great.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2010

Although opened for 2 months now, this hotel still feels like in its soft opening. Service is truly awful. We parked in the car park, went up in an elevator to 3rd floor that opened onto a roped-off area we should not have been able to get to. After hopping over rope, we found all bars and restaurants at back of building are closed (e.g. the Verandah), although fully signposted. Ate lunch in Chinese restaurant on 2nd floor, truly awful service, staff awkward and seemed to be unused to serving guests, US10 each for tea which took at least 10 mins to arrive, no soy sauce or vinegar with the dim sum, one dish (shizitou) inedible, wildly overpriced, I had seat in a corridor! Upon leaving, there is no sign anywhere to say you need to pay for car park in lobby, they wait until you leave car park to tell you that, but thankfully I didn't have to park and go back to lobby, but they did make me park in front of main entrance while they photocopied the receipt for my lunch bill...... seems like nobody knows what they are doing yet and everything is being done for first time. Suggest you wait 6 months before staying or eating here.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Graham2000
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed two nights in this splendid hotel. The rooms are incredible, sound system is awesome bed is really comfy and you can see that an extra care has been put in the ammenities. The swimming pool is nice also except its an inner pool so, despite incredibly warm temperatures outside, you still get a cold swim (but some like it hot as the title of the movie said). Anyway, the building is nice, the art deco style has been kept and modernized so all in, in terms of building / rooms / Facilities its a very positive experience.
The problem comes from the services which is clearly way below the standards of a Peninsula hotel. You go to Hong Kong, Manilla, Bangkok, the service is good so good you dont even notice it (flawless). Here the service is... Hey wait a minute, is there a service included?

We stepped in the hotel with our luggage, no help (fine I only had one hand luggage). Tried to find the lobby (its not obvious when you enter) noone to point out the direction.
The next morning, we go for breakfast at 8:30, when we come back at 9:00 to get dressed and prepared for the World Expo, the room service was already cleaning the room. Ok, forgot to put the "do not disturb" sign, but still it seemed a little early. Gently ask the lady to step out so I could take my shower, once she understood I started taking my shower. After 3 minutes (really) someone rings... Another lady for the room service! Okay... errr... no thank you not now, still taking a shower.... After 5 more minutes... The first lady comes back and rings again. Was thinking opening in my simplest apparel so they would understand the message but would not have been politically correct so opened the door and told them that if they came back within the hour (was nearly done but wanted to keep a buffer) I would really yell. Went to the lobby to politely complain (its asia, no need to shout in asia), got a "yes sir, sorry sir" and this is all... So overall service is terrible, if you ever consider there is any service and this is why I put an average to this hotel, even though from a room point of view, it clearly deserves an excellent.

Manager, you have a long way to go to get the hotel to the international standards, you'd better start working on this asap.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Zion51
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

Great location with superb views. Extraordinary service. Fantastic rooms. Beautifully done interior. Some of their deals can be great value. The best hotel I have stayed in.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MetalPigeon
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

Superb hotel, great service, lovely pool, quiet location but on the Bund. Amazing rooms with free Internet and VOIP calling. The best hotel in Shanghai by far.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business