“The Peninsula comes through again”

The Peninsula Shanghai
Ranked #8 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
PA
“The Peninsula comes through again”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to the Shanghai property, and I wasn't disappointed. From the Meet and Greet and Rolls Royce private transfer, it just continued to excel. As I arrived I was whisked away to my suite and checked in in the suite. After being shown the amenities, I then left and walked the hotel. A stop at Sir Elly's on the top floor is a must for a cocktail after 5pm and some snacks.

The main bar is worth a visit and of course the magnificent spa, for some superb treatments.

All in all, this was a true 5 star experience, as was expected.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear AussieIan,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad you enjoyed the “5 star” experience, it seems you were able to revel in some of our most wonderful assets- the beautiful view from Sir Elly’s restaurant and a treatment in our Forbes 5-Star Spa. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2014

First of all, the Peninsula Shanghai is one of the most elegant and beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. Incredible luxury as you'd expect, and the staff were very polite and courteous.

Our only issue was the first night, the distinct, strong smell of cigarette smoke filled our room (we were told that it probably wafted across from the balcony of the room next door.) Both of us are non smokers and I suffer with mild asthma so this really was quite unpleasant and I couldn't get to sleep.

I called down to reception and they suggested an air filter (?!) which we tried for over an hour. When this didn't work I rang reception back and they told us it would take some time to prepare another room. By this time it was past midnight (we had first put in the complaint around 10:30pm).

I do not understand why they couldn't just move us to another room straight away, seeing as it was quite late and we had just arrived in Shanghai and were pretty exhausted. At the very least they could have apologised or offered a complimentary drink or an upgrade? Because of this blip in our stay I have taken off one star from my rating.

Other than that I really do not have any other complaints. The room was amazing - walk in wardrobe, large spa bath (with mood lighting and music at the touch of a button), the office area was surprisingly well equipped and it's amazing how all the little details had been thought of. We also took advantage of the free international calls to catch up with people at home!

The entire hotel is gorgeous and we tried their spa (couples package) and it was INCREDIBLE. The lobby had a live jazz band the night we arrived which was sampling big band pieces from the 1940s and they were flawless. The location of the hotel is fantastic - right on the Bund and excellent shopping areas within walking distance. We got a deal off c-trip which was great value too (bonus!)

Room Tip: Request a non smoking room if you are a non smoker!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SonyaZephyr,
Thank you for your review and comments regarding your experience at The Peninsula Shanghai. Our rooms are designed and equipped with many small details to make your stay even more comfortable and productive, I am glad you were able to enjoy these touches. Our Spa is a true asset and I am delighted that you found the treatment to be so pleasant.

I sincerely apologise for the matter related to the smoke smell. It seems that this issue could certainly have been handled in a more efficient way and I will be sure to share this example with the team as a learning tool in such circumstances. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I look forward to your return visit soon, our Moonlight Band our waiting for you in The Lobby! Please do let me know when you shall be returning (garethroberts@peninsula.com).

Warm regards,
Miami
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stay at The Peninsula Hotels, so we are a bit biased. We have come to expect the PH BMW 7 Series with driver upon arrival at airport. Wifi on board to catch up on emails is always nice. I liked the location on the Bund. The BEST restaurants were all within a short walking distance.
The rooms are gracious and quiet. The beds are perfect. The bathrooms are well designed with two separate vanities allowing more space for each of us. The pool and spa areas are very nice. (I only wish I had taken advantage of these areas before my final day.)
Love this hotel and would recommend it to all my friends.

Room Tip: Our room faced the main entry and we had a slight angled view of the River. I was fine with our cor...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ocean88
Dear Ocean88,
Thank you for your glowing report and recommendation! I am very pleased to read about your time at The Peninsula Shanghai. Our bespoke Peninsula Edition BMWs and Rolls Royces are really something special and make the transfer from the airport so enjoyable! Please do come and visit us again soon for some extra time at the Spa and pool! Thank you for your support of The Peninsula Hotels.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 22, 2014

you realize that you're seeing a hotel even nicer than others when you come to The Peninsula. Shanghai has many very fine hotels but The Peninsula stands out among them. It is a classically elegant hotel - such that you would think it an older hotel that has been beautifully redone - but in fact it's a newer establishment in the classic old neighborhood that is Shanghai's 'the Bund'.

If you take a room facing The Bund, you will have a view unique in the world for there's nothing in the world quite like Shanghai or its Bund. The city lights up at night in multi-color and the best view of it is on the Bund. Even the monuments and ferry boats are decked out with colorful lights - it's an unforgettable sight. Also unforgettable is the gracious service - The Peninsula's staff strives to offer world class service commensurate with this very fine world class hotel.

Thus the only discordant note in this lovely place is the remarkably casual attire of the tourists as The Peninsula is popular with tourist travel and business travel alike. Don't let the Bermuda shorts, low slung jeans and t-shirts put you off The Peninsula - everything else about it is elegantly perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing The Bund - you won't regret it or any extra price you paid for it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear saramatthews,
Thank you for your kind words about your experience with us. I am glad to read your enthusiastic comments about our stunning design, location and service. Shanghai is a wonderfully energetic city and our views encapsulate this in a spectacular way! I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,
Varese, Italy
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The peninsula Shanghai is for sure one of the place to stay. Compred to other places in the world prices are affordable but the quality of the service is outstanding and very attentive.Mr Andrea is an amazing host and took very good care of us during our Dining.
Sir Ellis view is just stunning.
Thanks for all.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear ketty49,
Thank you for your wonderful comments about your experience with us. We are fortunate to have Andrea on our team, he is an incredible asset. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying here for several times during the last few months. Each time I stayed here the rooms have been quite different with different views and different design styles, but every one of them have been great.

From the concierge level to the valets, everyone in this property is extraordinary. The location is a 55 to 65 RMB drive from Hongqiao Airport and about the same from Pudong.

The location along the Bund is absolutely great and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Either a Bund (East) or Garden View (North). South was overlooking front of hotel..ehh
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear William C,
Thank you for your kind review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted to know we are becoming your “home away from home” in Shanghai. Please do let me know when you shall be returning again (garethroberts@peninsula.com) so that we may continue to present you with some unique rooms!

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel was absolutely amazing. The service was excellent throughout our entire stay and the rooms were amazing. The Peninsula chain never fails to impress. I have stayed at them in Beijing, Bangkok, Tokyo and Hong Kong, but the one in Shanghai was simply the best. I've included a photo of my family at the traditional Peninsula afternoon tea.

Room Tip: They're all great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Foodie1220
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Foodie1220,
I am taken aback by such a magnificent headline and humbled to know that you find The Peninsula Shanghai to be the best hotel that you have experienced. Our sister hotels are all superb properties and I am delighted to know you have had the opportunity to experience many of them. I look forward to your return visit soon.

PS- thank you for sharing the lovely picture of you enjoying our Afternoon Tea!

With best regards,