“Shanghai's Best”

Ranked #8 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Shanghai's Best”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have had the pleasure of staying here for several times during the last few months. Each time I stayed here the rooms have been quite different with different views and different design styles, but every one of them have been great.

From the concierge level to the valets, everyone in this property is extraordinary. The location is a 55 to 65 RMB drive from Hongqiao Airport and about the same from Pudong.

The location along the Bund is absolutely great and there are plenty of good restaurants nearby.

Room Tip: Either a Bund (East) or Garden View (North). South was overlooking front of hotel..ehh
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear William C,
Thank you for your kind review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted to know we are becoming your “home away from home” in Shanghai. Please do let me know when you shall be returning again (garethroberts@peninsula.com) so that we may continue to present you with some unique rooms!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2014

This hotel was absolutely amazing. The service was excellent throughout our entire stay and the rooms were amazing. The Peninsula chain never fails to impress. I have stayed at them in Beijing, Bangkok, Tokyo and Hong Kong, but the one in Shanghai was simply the best. I've included a photo of my family at the traditional Peninsula afternoon tea.

Room Tip: They're all great.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Foodie1220
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Foodie1220,
I am taken aback by such a magnificent headline and humbled to know that you find The Peninsula Shanghai to be the best hotel that you have experienced. Our sister hotels are all superb properties and I am delighted to know you have had the opportunity to experience many of them. I look forward to your return visit soon.

PS- thank you for sharing the lovely picture of you enjoying our Afternoon Tea!

With best regards,
London
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I recently stayed at Peninsula Shanghai and I found this hotel extraordinary in many aspects.
The quality of service is unsurpassed in China and the Suite I was staying was a wonderful combination of contemporary design, technology (and IT WORKS!) and comfort. Bedlinen so nice!
The Spa is also delivering very high quality treatments by smiling and efficient local therapists.
Chinese breakfast and Chinese dinner were close to perfection.
Its location close to the Bund and the incredibly efficient team will make come back very soon!
Thank you for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Sylvain1London,
I very much appreciate your glowing review of The Peninsula Shanghai. Of course, it is wonderful to know how much you enjoyed our rooms, design and proprietary technology; however, it is most pleasing to know that you found the team to be so enthusiastic and efficient. I very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 29, 2014

The Peninsula Shanghai exceeded our expectations of what a serious 5 star hotel experience can offer. My girlfriends and I visited Shanghai in early March and had a four night stay at the Peninsula. It was amazing. We were upgraded from a Grand River Deluxe Room to a Suite over looking the Bund. The Suite was simply stunning. The staff went out of their way in accommodating any requests and the Concierge were faultless. This was my first time staying at a Peninsula Hotel and found it exceptional in its service and the standard of the rooms. I also loved the breakfasts each morning and we ate at Yi Long Court Chinese restaurant twice experiencing lovely food and fantastic service. I do not think I could of stayed in a better hotel.

Room Tip: The Bund view is amazing and worth every cent.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Kathryn E,
Thank you for your lovely comments about your stay with us. I am happy to read that you and your friends had such a wonderful time. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Peninsula Shanghai soon or perhaps we can assist with reservations at another Peninsula Hotel for you to try!

Best wishes,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

The most amazing hotel. The rooms have everything you could possibly want. Service immaculate. Beautiful leisure facilities including a huge swimming pool. The design of the hotel has been refurbished sympathetically, keeping all the Art Deco features.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merle S
Dear Merle S,
Thank you for your review. I am delighted to read that you found our service to be so “immaculate”- I will be sure to share this kind feedback with the entire team.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Just back from a business trip to Shanghai where I stayed here. From arriving to leaving this place never failed to satisfy my requirements. The staff were superb never a miserable face always attentive from early breakfast to late night drink in the bar. The room was superbly laid out wonderful bathroom, dressing room and pillows to die for. The hotel is situated on The Bund and is the place to stay in Shanghai, I would not hesitate to recomend this hotel and will certainly stay here again. The view from Sir Elly's bar at night is superb and in my opinion better than my previous 'favourite' city scape that off Hong Kong viewed from The Intercontinental. Breakfast was good whilst not fantastic, ate @ Sir Ellys once and was more than happy. Used room service twice late at night, it was delivered within 20 minutes and was as good a quality as one could expect. One negative....The roof terrace was closed as it does not open until April which is a shame as other roof top bars were open

Room Tip: Stayed on Floor 10.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear GT2TODO,
Thank you for your very kind review of your experience at The Peninsula Shanghai. I am thrilled to read your kind words about your time with us. We are very proud of our team of true hospitality professionals who delight to taking care of each guest every day- it is gratifying to know you felt this. I apologize that Sir Elly’s Terrace was not open during your stay but shall re-open at the beginning of April and will remain so until October, I do hope we shall have the pleasure of welcoming you during this period. Once again, thank you for staying with us.

Tulsa OK USA
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

This place is amazing-very elegant and traditional, but with a suite full of all sorts of high tech items. Electronic window shades and curtains. Multiple different adjustments of the lighting. All controlled electronically. Even the bathtub.
There was a spacious walkin closet/makeup room.
We had included breakfast which had a reasonable selection of breads, yogurt, cereals then you order you eggs separate. If you have to pay extra, it would not be worth the $40 charge, but included, it was well worth it.
You can walk along the bund right out the front door.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Feistyrg,
Thank you for your wonderful review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am happy to know that you enjoyed our technologically advance rooms, we are very proud of this proprietary system which our in-house development team created. We are fortunate to have a spectacular location right on The Bund, I am glad you found it to be convenient! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best regards,