“Excellent hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 4,966 Hotels in Shanghai
Northumberland
“Excellent hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Superb staff, luxurious rooms, fabulous spa and prime location. I had considered various other hotels in Shanghai before deciding on the Peninsular, including the Waldorf and the Fairmont and having visited the latter two during our trip I know we made the right decision in the Peninsular.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear redsailbeth,

Thank you for your kind words and I am glad you felt you made the right choice of hotels for your visit to Shanghai!

Please come and see us again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We stayed three nights at the Peninsula Shanghai, and loved every minute of it! The rooms were well thought out, with every convenience a traveler needs including fresh fruit daily and adapters built in to electric plugs. The room, although not spacious, felt luxurious and having separate sinks in the bathroom was appreciated. Breakfast was tasty, with a small buffet of pastries, yogurt and cereal, along with a made-to-order hot breakfast from the menu. Service was quick and polite. One evening we were so tired we decided to get a light dinner in the lobby instead of going out, which we found to be exactly what we had wanted. An astute waiter suggested that the sandwiches were large and that my husband and I might want to share one. We did this, and easily found ourselves with enough salad, fries, and sandwich for two people.

The location of this hotel could not be better - right on the Bund with a view of Pudong that will take your breath away! A great area for walking too, whether you like scenery or prefer high end shopping.

I would not hesitate to stay here again; it was our favorite hotel on our trip to China.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan B,

Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am so happy to learn that your appreciated both our facilities and services. With many wonderful hotels in China it is gratifying to read that you found ours to be your favourite.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Kind regards,

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

We just returned for a 1 month travel in Asia, our first stop for our anniversary trip was in the peninsula Shanghai, this hotel commites with all expectatives for the peninsula brand, we booked several months in advance and we let them know it was our anniversary trip, we were received by our name at the door and upgraded to an incredible room, there we found several desserts,cake, fruit, because our anniversary, they even leave a "mexican snack" with salsa and chips and corona beers!!!! (were from Mexico),..every day we had fruit and pastries...the view was amazking lloking to the bound, the staff, concierge, everything was beyond expectations!! thanks !!! Dont mind looking somewhere else for stay in Shanghai!!!!!!!!! gracias!!!

Room Tip: ask for a bound view room...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mauricio R,

Thank you for your kind words about your stay with us. I am happy to know that you had an enjoyable anniversary celebration at The Peninsula Shanghai. Our newly launched Mexican-themed amenity is being very well received, I am delighted you enjoyed it!

Once again congratulations on your marriage.

Best wishes,

Shanghai, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

My friends and I have visited the lobby for an afternoon tea on the 25th of November at 2:30. We were greeted and seated properly though without a single smile.

PERSONAL OPINIONS: The Lobby is a grand space elegantly decorated. Laquered wood tables are particularly nice and arm chairs are comfortable and of good quality as well. I found part of the Lobby closed for work in progress, which I understand, though I personally found the pattern used for the temporary wall a very wrong choice. It looked like a cheap construction work in progress you could spot on the street and it was very disturbing to watch (please see attached photos). I would have much preferred a Lobby decoration related landscape, or something light that could have gone together with the Lobby's color scheme. Unlikely the lobby of other Peninsula properties, I personally find it a very cold environment that doesn't have a proper identity despite the attempt to imitate some art deco decorations. The fact that is right in front of the main gate, without any kind of separation, not even a wood panel, or a few steps makes you feel a bit like in the Members Lounge of an airport. In Hong Kong the Lobby tables are on the right and left side of the entrance, for instance.
We ordered a club sandwich, a tuna sandwich, two cups of tea and a full tea set menu for one. They arrived fast enough and were all pretty good. Tea pots water was refilled regularly while tea cups weren't.
I particularly liked the silverware engraved with the Hotel's logo, especially the cutlery, which is of a very fine quality for a Hotel. I found exceptionally elegant and sophisticated the choice of color scheme and the decoration of table cloth, towels, flatware and cups. Flower compositions were good.
Service was not up to standard, though I could feel some members of the staff have a discreet training.

FACTS: Waitress Vicky brought us a salad we didn't order, which we explained, though didn't receive an apology or a smile.

Waiter David had very low quality shoes, not polished and visibly scratched. His tie was out of place and his shirt collar looked not ironed at all.

Waitress Lina was asked about the wifi. She gave all the necessary information but her attitude was of such coldness that I still keep a strong memory of it.

Waiter Allen's tie knot was much too big for his shirt and his collar was out of place. He often touched his nose and at least once with his whole hand with a very clear gesture.

The highest person in charge was a woman, I didn't have the chance to see her name tag, but she was clearly in charge, supervising all station managers. I saw her taking her foot out of the shoe and putting it back in right after, while standing close to us. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Later she was standing behind us, talking with waiter Allen about the differences between IPhone 4 and 5. I think the staff should be informed that it's unacceptable to chat about non work related matters during service. Especially where guests can hear you.

Uniforms are the worst part. I personally would prefer a more formal attire than shirt sleeves and waistcoat for the male waiters, but that's just my opinion while what follows are facts:

-Most male waiters are wearing different shoes and of very, very low quality, as well as often scratched, like if the choice was theirs as long as of black leather. I suggest standard shoes and of a much better quality. Waiters should be taught how to take care of them.

-All waiters wear a different tie knot, causing some waiters to have a huge knot that is far too big for their collar, and gets out of place all the time. I suggest they are given instructions for a standard, properly sized, symmetrical knot that could go together with the size of the collar.

-Most shirt cuffs are visibly stained. Shirts are white, so if not washed properly, sweet stains accumulates on the cuffs and it's not a nice view while being served.

-Almost no waistcoats or suit jackets fit those who wear them. If the Hotel doesn't wish to provide made to measure uniforms, it could at least provide perfectly fit ones.

-Uniforms fabric used for suits, skirts, waistcoats and shirts is of a very low quality. I understand an easy to clean one is preferable but for a Hotel of such level and aspirations I would expect far better uniforms.

-Most waiters and waitresses have no idea of how to walk and stand properly in a 5 star hotel dining room. I suggest the management gives a basic course on this regard.

-I was there at least 2 hours and was often looking at the staff in action. I couldn't spot a single smile while I was there. Not Vicky, not Allen, not David, not Lina, nor any other member of the whole staff. Not even a fake one. Neither towards us, nor towards others. Not even when we arrived and when we left. I advise management to remind staff about how a smile is the basic of staff training in even the cheapest establishments

-My tea cloth was not ironed properly so I kindly asked a suit dressed waitress (higher rank than the white shirt one) to change it for me. She replaced it with one even less properly ironed (please see attached photo). The service standard of the lobby appears to allow staff to bring small table cloth, plate, napkin and cutlery to the table all in a prearranged set from the service station, to save time, rather that placing each item singularly like in top level establishment. This could be accepted, since not every hotel wishes to provide the best service, but only as long as the table cloth is properly ironed. I suggest to look into it.

-Carpeting is visibly stained in several places.

-At the gate reception desk I saw a member of front door staff whose personal gray sweater sleeve was clearly visible under the green uniform. I suggest to improve staff knowledge about proper dress attire.

Generally speaking it was a good afternoon tea, with some minor and some big issues that could be solved. I hope some of my suggestions could be useful to the management. I'm an old customer of the Peninsula and I am confident this properly will soon achieve the standard that its name requires. I will definitely visit it again.
I would be happy to see a detailed answer from management to my review and suggestions, which would be really appreciated.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank FersenLisis
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear FersenLisis,

Thank you for your detailed review of your Lobby experience at The Peninsula Shanghai. I would be happy to further discuss with you, please contact me directly at garethroberts@peninsula.com.

Kind regards,

los angeles, ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was debating between staying at the newly opened Mandarin Oriental on the Pudong side of Shanghai or The Peninsula on the Bund on the Puxi side. All friends recommended against staying in Pudong as it is removed from everything unless you are visiting Shannghai mainly for business.

I was also told to stay at The Peninsula by a travel writer who had just stayed in both properties, her exact quote was "if price is not an issue I'd stay at The Peninsula". I am most certainly glad I listened to their sound advice.

As cheap as cabs are to travel from destination to destination, language becomes a barrier, unfortunately Mandarin is not one of the 5 languages I speak and even the TAXI CARD (basically a biz card with the Hotel's address) that The Peninsula provided and also the use of HiShanghai application on Android (which I highly recommend for their taxi cards) were not always successful or easy to use, at times finding a cab was difficult as well.

HiShanghai's taxi card for The Peninsula listed the hotel's Bund address, which would have lead me into the building from the back entrance which faces the river and not the motor court. Something to be mindful of with taxi cards from HiShanghai, it will take you very close to your destination, but not always right in front, but that could also be due to the cab driver as well.

Upon arrival the traditional page boys in white uniform are all over the property, a welcoming familiar sight. The porter and staff were solicitous without been overbearing. I requested a moment to have a cigarette before checking-in and the porter whisked my bags away to be delivered to the room while I stood at the porte-cochere enjoying the brisk autumn weather and my cigarette.

I met the front desk manager upon check-in and he quickly escorted me to my corner room on the top floor with views of Pudong and the river. It was a light filled room with the traditional modern accoutrements, lot's of electronic controls all over the room and on either side of the bed for lights, shade and temperature, including the humidity level in the room. There's even a nice big nesspresso machine, albeit it was a tad difficult to use and ended up wasting a few coffee pods every time I used the machine.

After unpacking, I went for a quick walk in the neighbourhood and upon my return a tray with fresh fruit was present on the coffee table, somehow like at the Halekulani, the staff knows how to provide excellent service without disrupting your enjoyment of the tranquility of the property.

At first the dressing room and walk in closet seemed to be a complete waste of space, but after the first trip out the door it became a great place to drop wallets, keys, shopping bags and other items which would otherwise lay on the coffee table or desk and be an eye sore during your stay. For that reason alone I love the dressing room.

The bathroom is well appointed, with a tv recessed into the wall viewable while soaking in the tub. Shower and WC were on opposite corner and enclosed in glass. My only complaints are that there is no active ventilation system in the bathroom and that the water temperature did not hold for long in the soaking tub.

Other than breakfast in the lobby I didn't have an opportunity to eat at the hotel. Breakfast was a good combination of buffet with a cooked to order entree. The pastries were delicious, the coffee strong and the service impeccable. A friend who stayed at the property a few days after I departed said that the bar on the roof top had great views and good food and service as well. Gives me something to look forward to on my next visit.

After 4 days, it was time to depart. I had a very late check-out 6Pm for my 9PM return flight to LA. Porter was up to get the bags and the manager escorted me out to the car waiting to take me to the airport.

Overall service is impeccable, the location fantastic as a base for walking around the Bund and other restaurants in the area. The room was very comfortable and well appointed. The only minus point comes in the craftsmanship of some of the cabinetry in the dressing room were sticking a little, i know minor complain that and the fact that someone had taken a black magic marker to cover up a little scuff in the beautiful lacquer cabinet in the living area, which I though was sad for a hotel of this caliber.

As the travel writer said to me "if money is not an issue, stay at The Peninsula". I'll be back very soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DZONELB
Dear dzonelb,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback about The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon to experience some of the other features of the hotel, please do not hesitate to contact me directly when that will be.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

Everything about this hotel is first class - location, service, shops, staff. Even the washrooms are first class with small touches like hand towels and a box of sanitary bag on top of the toilet roll dispenser in every cubicle - beat that!

Just a street away from the bund, the view from the room is spectacular.

Good to try once as the price per room night is steep.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear fuschial,
Thank you for your review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am glad you enjoyed our your stay with us: the location, the view and the details in the bathroom! I look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Moorpark, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

Mu husband and I decided to spend our 36th anniversary and my birthday(ladies are always 25) in Shanghai at this wonderful hotel. We arrived at the end of October when the weather in Shanghai was perfect for travel. This is the second time we stayed at this property. We were totally satisfied with our first stay last year. This time we are even treated much better as coming back customers. We took the Travel In Style package which allowed us to have round trip transportation, unlimited local and long distance calls, two daily breakfasts at the Lobby that one can orders hot items and whatever is served at the buffet. The most fantastic thing is unlimited laundry and dry clean. We were treated like royals with upgrade to a fantastic river view suite with roses, cupcakes, and Champagne waiting for our arrival. With a perfect travel plan suggested by their Director of Guest Relation, my husband and I had the most memorable anniversary and the
best birthday of my life. I would like to recommend this hotel to whoever plans to visit Shanghai. The room charge may be somewhat on the upper side but every penny is worth it. Since the hotel locates on the Bund, the location is perfect for convenience and a river view room would give you a magnificent view of the Shanghai skyline at either day and night.

Room Tip: River view rooms are highly recommended .
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank monique l
Peninsula_SH, Manager at The Peninsula Shanghai, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear monique l,

Thank you for your kind review of The Peninsula Shanghai. I am delighted that you enjoyed the “royal treatment” for your return visit with us.

We look forward to your future birthday and anniversary visits when we shall plan some further surprises!