“Classic Peninsula”

The Peninsula Shanghai
Ranked #7 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
“Classic Peninsula”
Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

Hotel has everything you would expect from a Peninsula - elegant decor, great room layouts, delicious food and excellent service. The only inconvenience that I found (I've stayed here 4-5 times) is that there are no international electrical sockets near the bed (so you cannot charge your iPhone and use it as an alarm by your bed - the charger is over by the desk). The only other minor item is that the more they know you, the better they treat you. Understandable, but the staff need to understand that everybody should be treated with same degree of warmth/care. I have stayed in all the major hotels in Shanghai and must say that this ranks as the best!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank John G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very great and their service is as it has to be. It is one of the best hotel in Shanghai. Tea Time is excellent. The rooms are very nice, comfortable and they have a glamorous modern touch. The hotel is located on the Bund side, so you can have a walk during the night over this area. My room has a incredible view of the TV Tower.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ACJI97
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been traveling back and forth to Shanghai for quite some time and I must say, Peninsula is my favorite hotel in Shanghai. The room is amazingly comfortable and the gym and pool is one of the best. I stayed at the deluxe room facing Pudong and the Huangpu river and Peninsula does have one of the best hotel view. The bathroom is spacious and my gf loves the walk-in closet. Also tried the Chinese Restaurant, Yi Long Court, and that cantonese restaurant is great as well.

1 Thank Ian L
new york
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just returned from a trip to Southeast Asia and this was our first stop. Al lovely gracious old world style hotel in an excellent location, right on the Bund. We walked most nights to the restaurants we wanted to eat in and just to take a troll along the river.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed January 24, 2013

5 stars for the room, service, food, location and spa! First of all, we had booked for the S-class airport transfer but were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a Rolls-Royce! What a delightful start to the trip! We were impressed with the Rolls-Royce. Very impressed!
Even the most basic room was luxuriously spacious, with elegant furnishings, a walk-in closet and a large bathroom with 2 sinks, a marble bathtub, a shower stall and a separate toilet space. Service was impeccable, with requests granted and cheery staff greeting you everywhere every time they saw you.
We had their American breakfast every morning in The Lobby, where you get to choose a main from around 12 to 15 choices (I had the eggs benedict one morning and the congee option the next). There was also a mini-buffet table of fruits, cheeses, pastries, yogurts and cereals.
We had dinner at Yi Long Court, which was tastefully designed and a very nice place to enjoy a quiet dinner. I particularly enjoyed the chicken/ chestnut claypot dish. We also went to Sir Elly's for lunch. Their truffle risotto, part of a 2- or 3-course meal, was lovely and their pumpkin soup was creatively served in a small pumpkin. Good value for your money, given the location, hotel and food!
I also took advantage of their WEEKDAY SPA PACKAGE, which included exfoliation, massage and a lunch in addition to usage of their spa facilities an hour before the treatment session. Though the spa facilities (smaller saunas/ changing room/ crystal shower, lack of harbour views- or any view for that matter- in the relaxation room) didn't measure up to that of Hong Kong's Peninsula, I still enjoyed the exfoliation and massage package. I also got Fiona as my therapist! And she was very professional and competent. Their lunch was nothing special but I liked the huge portions and how I got to sit privately on the verandah beside the swimming pool and jacuzzi, looking out onto the garden.
We often walked along the Bund and along the smaller streets to get a feel of what life is like for the locals (well, locals living near the Bund!). We also discovered a nice neighbourhood behind the Peninsula, where there was a huge mansion (a consulate?) which was fenced off and surrounded by lovely tended gardens. Taking the taxi from the Peninsula to Xintiandi costed around 15RMB. The hotel is also a nice walk away from Mr. and Mrs. Bund restaurant which we tried for the first time since we saw raving online reviews. We were impressed and enjoyed a delicious dinner overlooking the Bund.
All in all, it was an excellent stay!

1 Thank BB100
Washington DC
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I highly recommend getting a room with a river view of the Bund, if you are staying here. You won't regret it! I actually liked the PuLi hotel (which is a completely different feel and style) better than the Peninsula, but it was a terrific hotel with wonderful service and a stunning view, so I'm giving it 5 stars also. The high tea service is super charming - and quite a crowd show up for it! The breakfast was also a highlight for me. Kind of old-school luxury, and an amazing location, right on the Bund. The pool is amazing, too. My only advice is to make sure you get a room with a view!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two nights in January 2013. In general, this is a good hotel, but I am not very impressed by its snobbish staff.

As a Shanghaiese, I invited my old parents to visit me and have a lunch there. My parents and I arrived there first, the staff didn't even welcome us and just looked at us suspiciously. If they didn't see my partner who is a Caucasian walking behind us, we might not be offered seats.

We booked a Deluxe garden room including breakfasts (AU$360 per night) I have to the room is big, but the hotel is not close to Metro stations. The closest station is Nanjing Dong Lu station (or East Nanjing Road station), several street blocks away. To me, I have to walk 10-15 minutes.

Still in the restaurant which is at the lobby, the buffet breakfast is actually semi buffet, and there are only pastries and fruits are self-served. All other foods,you have to order through a waiter or waitress. If you want to order more food, they will "kindly" suggest you finish the first dish before order more. OMG, it seems I am an idiot and even don't know what I am doing. I asked if they also have any Chinese newspapers (as I haven't read Chinese newspaper for so long time), I was replied by the waiter that he was not sure if they had the Chinese newspaper on that day and he would have a check first. I was pissed off even though he gave me the newspaper later. Give me a break, this hotel is not in Europe.

This hotel is at a great location for the view of the Bund, but not for other things.

6 Thank Bin2012