“Good location! And very luxurious hotel”

The Peninsula Shanghai
Ranked #8 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Good location! And very luxurious hotel”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is great hotel. Good location on the bund. And you can walk to it from the nearest Metro/Tube station. Otherwise the room was very posh. With a lovely view, Double sinks in the bathroom. And excellent internet services available. Only downside was the the price of the breakfast. I found the prices on the breakfast menu a bit expensive. But that is to be expected if you're staying at a luxy hotel like the Peninsula. All in all, a good hotel. And highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This review is regarding of the incident happened in Peninsula Shanghai's
lobby on September 12. I slipped and fell in front of the elevator.
My right side of face and shoulder was hit pretty hard on the corn of
the marble wall, and my knees was hurt as well. That time I suffered an
concussion, and was not be able to get up by myself.

I have been suffering a lot, especially my face was so swell and covered with blues. Until today, after more than one month, my face is still puffand painful. When it happened, the duty manager gave me a bag of ice and let me sit in a business center room so not many other guests can see me, and I was sent home short after. I visited the doctor the second day because my face looked horrib and the pain and dizziness was getting worse. After I got the exam report, I contacted the duty manager via email with the pictures of my injured face and phone multiplte times, and want to find out what happened that night, and what caused the accident. Until today, they still didn't coordinate my request of investigation, didn't extend any apologizes, didn't want to take any responsibility. The duty manager even told me there is no any formal claim or compliant process, and refuse to connect me to the senior management.

I was very disappointed by the way Peninsula shanghai handled this matter, almost shocked. To me, five star hotel is more than fancy looking building, but rather the service. Frankly, there are many other wonderful hotels in the Bund offer much better service. Personally, I am going to boycott Peninsula hotels forever, and I will try my best to let People know about my horrifying experience.

can then discuss from there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Maggie L
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

A new, ultra luxury hotel in the heart of the Bund area. Beautiful large rooms with every possible amenity. The nicest hotel I've ever stayed at, and we are pretty picky. Great service without a crazy price.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank HardeeTraveler
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We are frequent patrons of luxury hotels including Peninsula Hong Kong (we have had 4 stays since 2010) which by far to us is still THE BEST hotel in Hong Kong (aside from The Upper House, more of a serviced style accommodation) with its excellence in service, restaurants and room views, ambience and amenities; hence the reason why we chose Peninsula Shanghai, for a week's visit to Shanghai, over other familiar chains like Park Hyatt, Four Seasons etc. Even then, we must admit, Peninsula Shanghai, however, has indeed outshine its older sister in Hong Kong. Perhaps overall it is a certainly much newer building without losing the "Peninsula heritage" feel.

We took the infamous Rolls Royce Phantom airport transfer upon arrival (everything was perfectly smooth as expected, the meet & greet service starts after baggage collection; however we wish Shanghai Pudong airport had the VIP airport meet & greet prior to immigration like HK airport does and we didnt need to lay a finger on our luggage). The driver was rather quiet and probably should have explained a little bit more like how we could turn on the music controller (as compared to the hotel BMW limo driver who took us to the airport upon departure, he had explained the expected duration of journey to the airport and how we could use the complimentary wifi phone in the car).

Our hotel check was professionally carried out as we went straight into our Executive Suite at ease. On the way to the lifts we walked past the infamous Peninsula High Tea at The Lobby Unlike previous reviewers, we were not surprised by the crowd within The Lobby - a Peninsula guest will know and understand this IS the Peninsula Lobby open dining concept and if you don't really appreciate this open concept or photographed, perhaps you should just stay in your room for maximum privacy? In fact, we found The Lobby much less crowded as compared to Peninsula HK. Their breakfast menu at The Lobby however should include more Asian flavours other than congee.

The rooms far exceeded our expectations, we were greeted with mooncakes & chinese tea (mama mia!) on top of the usual chocolocate bites & welcome fruits basket, replenished every day. They even have a NAIL DRYER?? (too bad I didnt bring along my OPI) The suites and rooms (my father had a deluxe room) are spacious sparklingly clean almost looking brand new, the housekeepers are always smiling and polite. The decor is absolutely classy and timeless yet modern. I love the added touch of collectors' books for our reading pleasure in the Suite by luxury brands such as Chanel and Versace.

We had pre-evening cocktails at The Lobby with their fantastic live band serenading us till we reluctantly had to leave for our dinner. I only wished we didnt have to do all our tours in the next few days or else we would have had more opportunities to enjoy the live band every evening! One regret is the choice to have our evening drinks the next day at Sir Elly's Terrace, no doubt has the BEST skyline views of the Bund. Upon arrival at the Terrace, a tall and slim guy in a suit who escorted us three to our table was not very tactful in forcing us to share a long couch with a group of Caucasians. Thank goodness my hubby found the stairs to the bar area and we decided to move up (the views were so breathtakingly amazing!) The bartender gave us the "Happy Hour" cocktails menu given to us - the top reads in English - "Pay for two drinks for the price of one". PERIOD. We were a party of 3 and decided to order 4 drinks in anticipation to pay for only 2 drinks (we only had half hour to drink before dinnertime). The bill came, charging us for 4 drinks - no less. The legally trained person me obviously enquired the bartender about the charges.

The first response we received - "you were charged 4 drinks because there are 4 of you; and EACH PERSON must order two drinks to pay for one. I asked him to do a proper headcount and then he apologised & accepted there were only 3 of us HOWEVER further explained -"each person must order the SAME drinks to qualify for the discount". [at this point, i started to think to myself - do we look like some idiots who were born yesterday??] Took some moments for me to contend strongly that their menu did NOT specify such conditions and seeing the bartender wasn't the least accepting of my stand, I asked him for his Manager/Supervisor. Same tall slim Chinese guy who first escorted us in approached me and mumbled some lines in Mandarin, [Yes I may look Asian/Chinese, but helloooo....you cannot be presumptious that I am fluent in your language, and you are working for The Peninsula, not some 3-star local motel named "Jiang Hua Yi" (translated as Speak Mandarin)]. I responded I could not speak and understand what he is saying, can he please speak to me in English. He STARED at me for moments as if I was an alien from outerspace, he then asked another guy to speak to me in English. Another 7 mins of argument about how we must order two SAME drinks EACH to qualify for the discount, we were already running late to take a taxi to Grand Hyatt for their famous Peking Duck. In the end they still insisted that we had two more drinks so they could charge us for 3 drinks in total. Sorry, you dealt with the wrong person, I am as stubborn as any OX, we are still holding the Principle (irrespective of how many drinks we can afford) - we shall only pay for what we ordered based on what was advertised - "Pay for two drinks for the price of one". So I had refused to sign the bill until it was fixed for us to pay for just 2 drinks. They finally reluctantly gave in and billed us for 2 drinks. However the experience of having to argue with them has somewhat left some bad taste and honestly, I was contemplating to cancel our second stay upon returning from our short trip to Hangzhou couple days later (all ready to book at Waldorf Astoria). The way their staff handled the issue at Sir Elly's Terrace was rather unprofessional and the dagger stares by their so-called Supervisor/Manager were uncalled for, despite the fact that we told them we were actually hotel guests. Suggestion: Please revisit your menu if it does not give the intended message in English to your international guests.

Thankfully this ugly incident at Sir Elly's Terrace was over-shadowed by the excellent service at their Yi Long Court restaurant (the food is superbly delicious, both lunch and dinner) and we had the best massage treatments at The Spa (ask for Fiona - she has magical hands pressing the right sore spots and speaks fluent English) - THUMBS UP. In Aussie dollar terms, we felt their treatments were well-priced by international standards.

The main decision to return to Peninsula Shanghai was as a result of being served by a Thomas Wang upon our check-out. The final account had errors, somehow the Accounts personnel had reversed out the discount reluctantly applied by Sir Elly's staff (back to square one I had thought). However before any temperature rise over the same issue, Mr Wang quickly asked us to leave in his good hands to fix the billing issues and will send the amended bill to our room for our final review. I didnt have to explain much to him before he could see and acknowledge there were mistakes made on the bill. It is OK for anyone to make mistakes, but we expect the problems to be resolved and Mr Wang has proven himself to be a true problem solver. I do not know what position he holds, but we will be surprised if Thomas Wang is not at least their Front Office Manager based on our experience with hotel staff. He made a further step (which he didnt have to) by asking us to trust that he will look after us upon our return couple days later. [We actually received an upgrade from Deluxe River Room to a Suite facing the Bund], that was such a sweet gesture. Without this last added touch, we probably would have changed our minds to try Waldorf Astoria but we entrusted that he would really look after us, and he did. Thank you Thomas. It is a pity we werent able to see you again upon our return from Hangzhou. Rest assured, we shall return to Peninsula Shanghai again. It is truly a home AWAY from our home. Thank you very much once again. Xie Xie, Zai Jian.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Not as good as other Peninsula's I have visited, it tries to be even more high tech than the others without much success! Too much is too much, and it doesn't work well, TV is bad quality, it takes you hours to find everything, the printer has no paper in the tray, and then the paper jams.
Breakfast, they take your order if you are lucky; it took us every morning at least 45 minutes and it is bad, tomatoes are not cooked and bacon is charcoal.. Go out if you want to have a decent breakfast.
Reception is a joke. I paid and said I was going back to collect my hand luggage, the receptionist reminded me not forget the safe but didn't tell me she was canceling immediately my key! Another trip back to reception when I was trying to leave that hotel as quickly as I could!
Avoid it.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere !